Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
hauling motorcycles

Hubby has new toy - Harley Davidson Ultra Classic and wants to take it on the road with us. Does anyone have experience with motorcycle carriers that attach to the back of the 5'er? (this big baby weighs about 900#). We are trying to avoid having to haul a separate trailer for it.

otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I have done so in the past, but now tow a separate trailer.

My previous 5'vr was a 31' Cardinal, which had a 10" I-beam frame similar to the Montanas. I mounted a 2" receiver to each frame side and then mounted a carrying mechanism to carry my FXEF (650#) sideways across the back. Since it was very difficult to keep the MC from moving side-to-side (forward and aft while towing), I was never satisfied, so started using a tag along trailer.

When I purchased the 3400, the dynamics were even worse since the rear of the 5'vr protruded almost 5' further to the rear of the trailer wheels. The tag trailer seemed to make the most sense, so I have continued that way.

Montana does not condone the use of a rear trailer hitch except under limited conditions, and does not warrant frame/trailer body damage that could be attributed to the "posible" use of such a rear hitch, so beware. Interestingly, Hitchhiker, Excel, and other brands install these types of hitches as standard, or optional on their products, and are using essentially the same frame. Either the Montana frame is defficient in some manner or Montana just does not want to deal with this variable.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
thanks, rickfox for sharing your experience. Since our 'cycle weighs considerably more than yours, we're gonna probably pursue the trailer idea! We knew about the frame warranty issue, but were not aware of the dynamics problem - which certainly makes sense. Appreciate your first hand knowledge!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
IMHO, I would hesitate to put 90 lbs on the back of my 3400 much less 900. The issue is not only the ability of the frame to take the weight, but what it would do to the weight and balance of the trailer when towing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I found this for a friend and it may work for you. We think it is the best carrier of the bunch.

http://www.idahotote.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I was in the same situation as you guys except with a Goldwing. I tried a swivel wheel trailer s/u figuring that I would have the option of backing up with the bike still attached.

To make a long story short it didn't work out too well. With the swivel wheel trailer attached the 5er would whip back and forth above 50 mph (scary). Decided to do something differant.

We bought a Freightliner HDT already converted for RV use and mounted a Rampage lift on the back of the truck for the wing. This works much better for us then trying to handle 2 trailers and I sure didn't like the tail wagging the dog thingy.

I have a camping and riding buddy that pulls his Goldwing in an enclosed trailer behind his 39' Big Horn with no problems.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
otto0813, might I suggest getting in contact with Keystone and find out about their possibility of installing rear hitches from the factory! While at the factory tours in September, they had an 08 model with a factory installed hitch. Never hurts to ask the people in charge and get their answer!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Emmel, I tried to have them install a hitch at the factory, and Arham,at the Pamona RV show (where I bought it) said they couldn't and wouldn't do it. He said they would warrantee a 250 lb hitch weight/2,000 lb trailer , but I never got it in writing.Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I also tried the swivel wheel and it worked fine on my Cardinal - only had a 9' overhang behind the back axle (the 3400 has a 13.5' overhang). But since the swivel wheel (essentially the same as the Idahotote)is rigidly connected to the trailer, it swings very wide when making a right hand turn - way out into the adjacent lane - very bad news hen connected to long overhang trailers!

The trailer I now use is slightly over eight feet inside and handles my Road King nicely - except that it should have been alittle taller. Fully loaded with ramp etc and bicycles, it weighs in at about 1600# with 180# tongue weight. To me, it makes a lot more sense than a toybox, since my wife will only let me take the MC along about 30% of the time. And with 2 trailers, I can still back up with more ease than a Class A motorhome with an attached dinghy.

Some say I'm crazy, but all my work has been inspected and reviewed by mechanical and aeronautical engineer buddys of mine. Shadetree mechanic work won't do. It must be done right - with safety in mind, or don't do it. With respect to weights and lengths, I am within specs all the way around with the exception of the GVWR on my 3/4 ton truck - but that's another conversation.

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
On the Idaho Tote all the weight is on the the axle of the Tote well worth checking out.

http://www.idahotote.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Having totaled two MC cruisers this year, both Nomads, and having an MC wreck in 1971, I'm still recovering. MC riding is on hold until sometime next year - maybe. I'm lucky to be alive. First on this year was stupidity, and I won't get into that. The second one happened on the luckiest day of the year, 7/7/7, when at 50 MPH I got broadsided by a pickup truck. Hit and run, but my 830# MC pulled his license plate off and the knocked on his door the next morning. Court pending.

The reason for this post is two fold. 1) When I see you ride by hauling, or riding, I'm going to call you a name because I'm not hauling or riding. 2) y'all be darn careful out there. There are two types of motorcycle riders. Those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

Keep the shiny side up.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Several months ago I contacted the frame manuf Lippert. Spoke to a gentleman in the warranty department about mounting a receiver hitch for bicycles. His response was that I could have one welded in three points, sort of a triangle between side rails and rear railing. Angle iron was the choice. then a 2 inch receiver hitch in the rear. He stated if I hauled NO MORE THAN 200 lbs, this would not void the warranty. Will have this done in Tucson this winter as we want to carry bikes......

Happy motoring and stay safe this winter.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We had a hitch installed on the back of our Mountaineer and we tow two quads behind the trailer. It works great for us and it dosen't sway at all.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
Clutch,
Did you have to fabricate the receiver hitch or were you able to purchase one that fit the back of your coach? I am also tinkering with the idea of towing a trailer to haul our quads as well.
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Made mine and bolted it to the frame rails.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dwstockman

Clutch,
Did you have to fabricate the receiver hitch or were you able to purchase one that fit the back of your coach? I am also tinkering with the idea of towing a trailer to haul our quads as well.
Our 5er is a Mountaineer and it had a rear bumper. The guy at the welding shop cut off the spot welds and slid the bumper up to within an inch of the coach and rewelded it to the frame with good welds. He then used a piece of 4x6 heavy wall steel and welded it to the frame of the bumper. The receiver piece was then welded to the steel cross piece he installed. It is very strong and easily can hold up to the small quad trailer.

Someone on rv.net posted pics of a hitch he made for a trailer with the rear like yours. You might try a search on that site.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
In my opinion, given all the reasons above regarding the handicaps of a swivel wheel or tote trailer, I think you would be far better off going to a standard trailer and hitch like Rick discusses. I towed that way for years (boat) and it actually towed very well. Turning was uncomplicated, and after I got good at it, I could even back it up. I doubt I could have parallel parked it though .

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 AM   #18
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Just got off the phone with the local dealer checking on the rear mounted hitch from the factory. Yep, you guessed it, they had no idea what we were talking about!
I will admit that the hitch we saw at the factory was on a model that wasn't out yet.
I will keep trying after the first of the year!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #19
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I haul one dirt bike on a rake all the times. Can't tell its back there, less than 300 LBs. Tried two dirt bikes total about 500 lbs. made the trailer to trail heavy, no way would I try my HD back there. I do also tow a small trailer, works great.
Built my own.
Good luke
MArk
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 AM   #20
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Any one from Keystone/Lippert that reads this forum care to chime in, give us a difinative answer????????? Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote