Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #21
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have a HawksHead tpms and you can change the batteries yourself. It cost about $245 Cdn. I found out it works at Quartzite when one of our tires was low the alarm went off. What ever brand you decide on it is a good investment. Here is their website.
http://www.tpms.ca/

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Some questions not to hijack the thread but to gain more information about this item. I do wish I had one and would like to understand any nuances.

1. What do the TST owner's set as the temperature to monitor? Or, in other words, at what maximum value should the temperature be a concern? Or is it a matter that all the temps should be approximately the same and if one increases, then it's a concern.

I watch for all tires to be pretty close in temp. Rear TV tires run a little hotter than the front ones. The Monty's tires are all about the same as the rear tv tires. IIRC the hottest have been 105.

2. Orv, you got me curious, what temps have you read with your temperature gun? A temp gun sounds like a good tool, but DW doesn't want to hang out the TV to read the RV wheel temps when we are driving...

3. Where and how did you mount the monitor itself (whatever it happens to be)? Is it something you can leave in the TV all the time? Do any of you have it removable?

Art, if you go to my link in my signature "Out travels and things" you can see how i mounted my display. ( montana mods and additions) It can be removed very easy. I have mine hardwired (supplied with system)

4. I have heard there are two types of sensors depending on the system selected. One is mounted on the wheel inside the tire so it can't be stolen. And the one I prefer is mounted on the valve stem with some kind of antitheft mount. Are these battery powered? How long does the battery last?

Yes to battery power. Batteries are supposed to last about 5 years. I remove mine in the winter to the comfort of the house. Also, the one that screw on the valve stems should be mounted on all metal stems.

Thanks in advance!
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Some questions not to hijack the thread but to gain more information about this item. I do wish I had one and would like to understand any nuances.

1. What do the TST owner's set as the temperature to monitor? Or, in other words, at what maximum value should the temperature be a concern? Or is it a matter that all the temps should be approximately the same and if one increases, then it's a concern.

I watch for all tires to be pretty close in temp. Rear TV tires run a little hotter than the front ones. The Monty's tires are all about the same as the rear tv tires. IIRC the hottest have been 105.

2. Orv, you got me curious, what temps have you read with your temperature gun? A temp gun sounds like a good tool, but DW doesn't want to hang out the TV to read the RV wheel temps when we are driving...

I've noticed temps above 200° F with pressures built up to 94 psi.

3. Where and how did you mount the monitor itself (whatever it happens to be)? Is it something you can leave in the TV all the time? Do any of you have it removable?

Art, if you go to my link in my signature "Out travels and things" you can see how i mounted my display. ( montana mods and additions) It can be removed very easy. I have mine hardwired (supplied with system)

Since we have the Pressure Pro System, I used velcro and set the monitor on the dash. (We have one of those custom made dash covers made out of the same material as the floor mats.)

4. I have heard there are two types of sensors depending on the system selected. One is mounted on the wheel inside the tire so it can't be stolen. And the one I prefer is mounted on the valve stem with some kind of antitheft mount. Are these battery powered? How long does the battery last?

Yes to battery power. Batteries are supposed to last about 5 years. I remove mine in the winter to the comfort of the house. Also, the one that screw on the valve stems should be mounted on all metal stems.

They are battery operated, batteries said to last five years. I really don't care how long they last. I'm just happy to have them. They've already saved us a lot. We have the sensors mounted on the valve stem. They are locked on by a locknut. You have to be careful to remove the sensors if you're going to have tires rotated because the technicians will break the sensors trying to remove them in order to balance the tires.

Thanks in advance!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #24
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
so if I went with one of these systems, I'd have to take the dually in and have all the tires broke down and get metal valve stems installed ?
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A big thanks to Phyllen for the Original Post and enabling me to learn so much more. And a big thanks to Swanny, Orv and many others for prior posts to educate me on pressure/temperature monitoring.

- Art -
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
Would like to know price of pressure pro,for eight tires.Thanks
minkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
To Wild Horse, Metal valve stems are safer. What can happen is the weight (very little) on the end of a rubber or rubber/metal (high pressure) stem can weaken the stem and cause it to fail.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by minkid

Would like to know price of pressure pro,for eight tires.Thanks
$600.00

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had my pressure pro system for 3 years now. Never take them off. Same batteries. Haven't been stolen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Thanks Swanny...that's what I figured.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

so if I went with one of these systems, I'd have to take the dually in and have all the tires broke down and get metal valve stems installed ?
Some time ago when I had SOB I kept having problems with my valve stems. After one of my repairs by a tire service he asked me if I wanted to have him install metal stems. I had never heard of them before. I said yes and never had a problem since. He told me any tire with more than 50 pounds pressure should have metal. Just my two cents...
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote