Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Cell Phone Amplifiers

Hoping someone or several someones can advise on cell phone amplifiers, if using, how do you like it, what brand?, if don't want to use, how come? General opinions??? We are looking Wilson Brand, does anyone know of this brand, if so, opinion please.

Thanks in advance

Chaser
Mike Orlob (and Evy)
MOC #2310

Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Go to this website for good info: http://www.smoothtalker.com/

Pay careful attention to what they say about CDMA phones and amplifiers, the way I read it, with CDMA phones (Verizon, Sprint, Bell Mobility and others) you only get amplification from the antenna. I may have misinterpeted what they say, but I would check out the performance with CDMA no matter what brand of amplifier you choose. There are some phone experts on the Forum who may be able to give a better response than mine, but be careful before you spend the dollars.

On edit: I just took another look at this site, and it has changed somewhat, but still read the FAQs and try to make sure that what you buy is actually going to work in your situation. It is not as simple as if seems.

OntMont (John and Donna)
2005 Montana 3670RL
2001 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 CC Duramax (& 53 Ford F-10)
(2007 Silverado "Classic" 3500 DRW 4x4 CC D/A on order)
2001 Border Collie to ride herd on us.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have a Wilson trucker antenna that we bought from the company. It is magnetic so it can be mounted on the roof of the truck. We hardly use it any more because our Verizon coverage is so good. Glen bought an aluminum extendable handle whose original purpose was to be used on a net for cleaning a swimming pool. He added a large washer at one end by mounting it on a wooden plug that was inserted into the hollow end of the handle. Now we can attach the antenna to the washer (magnetic) and get it above the camper when we're parked and it improves our signal by one or two bars. This is probably more info than you wanted...

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Thanks for the responses. Judy, you hit the button on the head, it is this type of info Mike is looking for. We have decided to add it with a permanently mounted antenna to the Montana Ladder and use it only in the RV, as we also get excellent reception with our Sprint phones. It is also a Wilson.

John: Thanks for the info as well. Mike had done a lot of research, but wanted some personal insight from our MOC group too.

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
2006 3400/2004 Dodge Ram 3500
Retired,Rvers,Racefans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote