Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
route opinions requested - US 93 in Idaho

I'm working out our route for our July trip from Kansas City to Hungry Horse, MT, just west of Glacier National Park. We like to get off the interstates as much as reasonable. I'm not concerned with finding the fastest nor shortest route.

I'm looking at picking up US 93 just west of Idaho Falls, ID, then taking 93 on up to Hungry Horse, or near there. That's roughly 400 miles on 93.

Is anyone familiar with this road? Is it decent road for towing a Montana? Enough towns to stop for fuel every couple hundred miles? I've heard the scenery along this route is spectacular but wonder about the quality of the roads. We'd be on the road in July.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Steve and Vicki,
Well folks I've been on both ends of the road in question but not the bulk of where you're talking of going. The road is in great shape on both ends I was on. And of course the scenery is great. Exactly which direction will you be approaching this part of the world?

When you get near the south end of Flat Head Lake I'd take the road to the right. Hwy. 35 goes up the east side of the lake and is relatively less traveled than is hwy 93 on the west side of the lake. Of course 93 is 3 or four lanes on much of the west side of the lake. The east side route is the one we came out on when we left Glacier. It is a nice two lane road and very scenic. It goes thru many little communities nestled along the lake. Steve it is your kind of road..... just not as turny as you'd like.

As to the other end of 93 you probably won't be going on that as it is south of where you indicate you'll pickup 93. It appears to be just the kind of road you're looking for. My experience driving a diesel rig up in that area is that you'll have no trouble finding diesel anywhere along the road. I carry a 5 gallon can of extra fuel just in case but have never had to use it. Still have the stuff from this past summer. I'm going to need to use it just so it doesn't get stale!

The "road less traveled" looks good to me Steve. Go for it.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I don't know if I've mentioned this or not but when you first pull into Mountain Meadows park you'll wonder about the "big rig" sites. Trust me. They are there. You may want to get in one of the spots above and behind the office. There is a fairly steep incline you go up but once you're up there is not problem. Most all of their sites are pull-thrus of one sort or another. Some will not be long enough and some will not be wide enough.... darn they just have too many trees.... why doesn't someone come in and cut them down! The roads are gravel but remember that it rained on us the entire time we were there and we had no problem getting in or out because of the roads.

I did not have Wi-Fi at the time we were there but we had good cell coverage so was able to use that. Worked great. We could not use our satellite because of the trees..... But we were able to pickup a few local channels. No problems since we got the channel with the Olympics on it. They may even have cable by now. I assume that in certain sites you might have access to the southern sky but I'd have no idea of which sites. I did see a number of dishs setting out but don't know if they actually worked or not.

You are close to a WalMart.... about 20 to 30 minutes back toward Kalispell. And I think all kinds of drug stores..... but don't remember getting prescriptions there. I think we got ours down in Missoula.

If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask. I may remember something..... Even though I have CRS. Or I think I have CRS. :-)
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:44 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I read another recommendation for the route along the east side of Flathead Lake. Sounds like a good route. We'll be there for 3 or 4 days in July on our way to Alaska. J.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, when in July will you be there? We will arrive 7/14 and be there until 8/14. So maybe we'll get to meet? Alaska, wow, that's a dream of ours, too. Please be sure to tell us all about that trip.

Dennis, thanks once again for the very helpful posts. I have moved the relevant part of our trip to MT 35 on the east side of Flathead Lake. We do not have a satellite dish so will have to make do with the tv antenna. There is nothing on the website about cable but it does say the wi-fi now is out to the rv sites, not just in the office or lounge area as it apparently was.

My routing so far is tentative. I need to decide whether we want to stay in Independence through July 4th or not. If we leave prior to the holiday weekend we'll have more time for the travel and possibly to stop a little longer along the way. I'd really like to do Rocky Mountain National Park again while we're enroute but timing might not allow that. I tentatively have us taking US 36 across much of Kansas. I've driven that road several times, it's a good road, Not super scenic but a number of small towns to break up the monotony. And good smooth road with decent shoulders in case of a flat. We've been across much of Kansas on various roads so there's not much new for us to see there. Then in western Kansas we'll cut up to Nebraska and probably take I80 over to near Salt Lake. My experience with US and state highways in Nebraska is pretty bad so I'm gunshy about planning those roads in NE. There we'll go north on I-15, then NW on US 26 at Blackfoot, ID, and catch US 93 a few miles up that road.

That's all very tentative. I'd like to stop at Rocky Mountain National Park again, as I mentioned. I'd like to take US 40 across Colorado, if we have the time. That road would take us a lot of time because we would likely stop and do a lot of gawking and picture taking. So maybe 150 miles per day, max. If we decide to go this route then we'll stay on US 40 to near Salt Lake.

We've already done I70 across Colorado several times, including once towing this Montana. So this time I'd like to take a different route. Whenever I can I prefer new routes to repeating the same trip we've done before.

Thanks for the information on the park, the walmart, Dennis, and the route. Judy, thanks for the second on the route. If either of you, or any MOC member, has any suggestions, advice, or comments, please feel free. We do appreciate any and all information.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:29 AM   #6
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Hey Steve, Welcome to the state of Idaho and US 93. Living only 1 and 1/2 blocks off that highway we use it a lot. We have travled it from Nev. to almost to Glacier and find that it is a very good road to travel. I see that you will be through Twin Falls, I'd guess about July 12 -14 time frame. If time frame is a little different let us know. We may be home at that time. If you need advise for capmgrouds, let me know. We would love for you and Vicki to stop by and say hello to us. However that may catch us gone as we will be visiting our kids in West Virginia at that time or we could still be here as our other son may be coming home from Iraq at this time, so it is hard to say.
Highway 93 is a great highway to travel on and it is a good road. I do have a suggestion for you though. I will let you know if you would like it. Have Fun.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, I think we're following one another. We'll arrive in Savannah about four days AFTER you've moved on and we'll leave Idaho about four days BEFORE you arrive. We have a stop scheduled at Lewis and Clark Rec. Area in northeast Nebraska, camping with the families of my brother and sister. Then we'll have the pleasure of driving through Rapid City over the July Fourth weekend. We've decided to just drive straight through and do the tourist thing later when it's not a major holiday weekend. We're not stopping much before arriving at the Flathead Lake area. Guess I need to look into a reservation for that area.

Since we seem to be doing our best to avoid one another ) , we'll look forward to meeting you and Vicki and many others at the rally. We rerouted our trip home so that we can join other MOCers in Reno. Alaska is a dream-come-true for us and our first looooong trip, five months. Judy
Old 02-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Paul, got your email. We would love to meet you folks but as you noted in your email the point at which we catch up with 93 is 150 to 200 miles from Twin Falls. Are you folks planning to go to the Rally near Reno, NV, in early October? I'm also open for campground suggestions. As I mentioned in my email I'm not sure yet where our stops will be. My memory is terrible so remind me to get your advice when I know where we'll be. Or if there are some CG's you think particularly good, go ahead and tell me and I'll save that info. Don't go to a lot of trouble, though. You mentioned having a suggestion. I am always open to those!

Judy, we are soooo close to running into each other. So, unless something changes to cross paths prior to Reno, we'll meet you folks in Reno. I sure hope we get enough people signed up to get the sites at that park. I think we're a mite short so far.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I hope some of those folks who are planning to attend get signed up, too. Sure would be sad to loose our rally reservation. It seems like many have shown interest in a gathering. I think it's just hard to make a reservation so far in advance. Still seems like a long way off but the time will pass quickly.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Steve, having been on all of the routes that you are thinking about, I have a suggestion. It will be a day longer if you are not in a hurry to get to Montana. When you leave Salt Lake City on I-15, when you get to Tremonton, Utah instead of staying on I-15 stay on I-84 to Twin Falls, Id and take 93 North. When you get to Shoshone, Id. take 75 to Ketchum and Sun Valley. This 75 will take you over Galena Summit . Then you will drop down into the valley of the headwaters of the Salmon River. Continue on to Stanley and Challis, where you will pick up 93 again. This will take you through Salmon, Id. There are a lot of Lewis and Clark happenings in this area, as well as the birth place of Sacajawea. From there you will head north on 93 to Montana. I have traveled this route many times and have stayed at several campgrounds. One that we really like is called Healds Haven, 12 miles south of Salmon on 93. I think that you would enjoy this route. Galena and Lost Trail passes are high passes, but I taken my rig over each on several times with out any trouble. Any questions let me know.
Paul
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the great info, Paul. I will not get back to planning the route tonight but have saved your post for reference. A lot depends on how much time we have to get there from Kansas City. We like to keep our mileage down to 200 to 250 miles per day, or less. We're already facing a likely 700 mile day in late May in order to keep a commitment. We've done that particular drive before, though.

We towed this Montana, all 13,980 lbs of it, over Vail Pass in Colorado, at 10,660 lbs so we're not afraid of altitude unless it means potentially icy weather, which it shouldn't in July (right?).

Judy, I'm wondering where those 120 plus who voted for Reno are... Like you said, it's early, but I sure hope they sign up pretty soon. They could always drop out if things don't work out for them, just like the list for Goshen last year. I'm not sure what happens if we don't get enough.

Thanks all.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I was wondering the same thing about those 120, Steve. I wonder what the deadline is to reserve the section we need for the rally. Maybe someone needs to post encouragement to sign up, but I guess they've done that. Now everyone plans ahead, I guess.

Related to this topic, for those who know the area around Flathead Lake, in what area (east side or west side?)would we be most likely to be able to drive up and find a site without a reservation in July? We could even dry camp. Thanks for all your help. It's always good to get firsthand information.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
jrgwdenner,
If your taking 93N go thru ST Ignatius, youll go past 9mile wildlife refuge, theres an intersection with a museum a restraunt etc., hwy 212 to Charlo. Turn left and go a couple miles to Willow Campground on your left.You have an awesome view of the Missions and theres geese and pheasants. Oh yea an occasional griz. You can camp here and then go on to the National Bison Range about 10 miles or so down the road.You will have dry camp here as well as I remember. Now if you take Hwy 200 E out of Missoula and go up 83 to Bigfork there are all kinds of dry camps along the way. Its awesome too.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
jsmitfl, thanks for that specific information. It sounds like just the info we need. Judy
Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Montana_2744

M.O.C. #2744
good evening, if you are coming west on i 80 be sure to look at your map and run old hwy 30 that goes through soca springs and kimmer wyo it will make a nice short cut. also hwy 93 is a pretty good secondary road, just the kind to sight see on, i used to live in idaho and ran trucks all around the north west and your trip should be a lot of fun. if i can answer any questions feel free to e-mail me. i now live in north pole alaska. mcgilla gorilla
Montana_2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum, Magillagorilla. Love your username and thanks so much for the route suggestions. We'll be heading your way in July, at least as far as Tok and Anchorage. Hope to do plenty of sightseeing. J
Old 03-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Mcgilla Gorilla, and welcome to MOC! I haven't got back to the routing but am saving the posts for when I do. I haven't decided whether to take I-80 or to go across Colorado on US 40. I guess I should post a question about that. We've towed some pretty steep grades and that's not a problem. Maybe if they're up around 10, 11, 12 percent for a long ways I might rethink the route. I-70 through Vail Pass was not a problem.

Appreciate the input from everyone.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #18
Montana_2744

M.O.C. #2744
good afternoon, when you get to alaska don't forget to visit the interior, especially fairbanks if i am at home give me a shout and maybe we dcan meet for coffee and i can show you around a lot to see and do here that sadly most tourists miss because of time constraints or whatever. safe travels. mcgillagorilla
Montana_2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the invitation to visit in Fairbanks. Unfortunately we don't have Fairbanks on our itinerary this year because of time restraints. It will be a good excuse to make the trip again!