Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
city water inlet

winterizing 2007 do you pump antifreeze into city water inlet also do you pump antifreeze into black flush valve

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob

winterizing 2007 do you pump antifreeze into city water inlet also do you pump antifreeze into black flush valve
Bob,
We first open the low point drains, and the fresh water tank drain, close the shut-off value on the hot water heater and remove the anoid rod; and let all water drain. Close all drains and put 4 gallons of anit-freeze into the fresh water tank and start the water pump. Run water at the sink till anti-freeze flows, and do the same for the shower, bath sink and flush the toilet till anti-freeze flows. (We don't have a washer or dryer so nothing done for that.)
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I'll probably get bunches of flak for this but I use compressed air to blow all the water our of the lines - at least with my old trailer - then open up the tank drains, water heater drain, etc. Here in my area of Texas there's not much chance of hard, long duration freezing so this has always sufficed for me.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, I have never used the pink stuff either except to put in the drain traps. I use compress air also. I will have to remember to put some in the washer and dishwasher now that I have those items.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Even if you don't blow out the lines, it's not necessary to put gallons of pink stuff in the fresh water tank. Once it is pumped dry and low point valves emptied, it's empty. If you want to use the pink stuff, just pump it throught the system until it comes out the each faucet, hot and cold. Then dump enough down the drains to fill the drain traps. This makes it easier in the spring, since there is no pink stuff to get out of the tank before you can use it. Having said all this, there should be a fitting in your out door water system where you can attach a hose to the camper, put the other end in a gallon of the pink stuff, turn on the pump and you are good to go.

On edit...did not even answer your original question...don't need to do anything to the city water. Some pour a bit of the pink stuff into the black tank, some don't. It should be empty.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Add me to the "compressed air gang". Have never had any problems with that method here in North East Texas. Do use 'pink stuff' in the traps--galley and bath.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
add me to the air compressor list, never have used the pink stuff, although winters in Georgia are not to severe, If it gets real cold I turn on a little heat.
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
315RLS ... do you not have a T valve on your water pump inlet with a short length of hose to stick in a gallon jug of antifreeze for winterization? You only need about 2 gallons of antifreeze with this setup. I was just wondering unless your preference is to pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Nope, nuttin into the fresh water tank here either. I did that on my last 5er (Fleetwood) and had this awful odor that wouldn't go away...never again...just drain that baby and leave it! I am still a bit concerned about the city conn to pump check valve and the short run from Black tank flush conn to tank spray nozzle check valve. I live in NE and sometimes we get -27 deg F... May need to connect my air compressor to purge em. I do strongly suggest keeping "pink" stuff in the pipes for sanitary reasons when storing for long periods as baterial growth is a concern! Post storage I would think there must be a good Chlorine mix to purge odor which I never had done on previous issue.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Nope, nuttin in the city freshwater inlet, nuttin in the black tank or any other tank for that matter and only waste water in the traps. Don't use compressed air or pump in any of that pink stuff. Never had a line freeze. I simply point the TV and Monty in a southerly direction and don't stop until it warms up. Works for me every year for the past 3 and counting.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
Glenn, Go ahead and rub it in, I'll think about you when i go to work in the morning!
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Glenn...That is the best solution! I'm not there yet but hope to be one of you. Got the Monty but not the moment in our journey to make the move.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 AM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I use air and the pink stuff.Keeps washers and seals from drying out.In years past I would only blow out lines due to not having Hot Water heater bypass I would have some faucet washer and seal problems. With now the ability of sucking the pink stuff out of the bottle I use less than two Gals.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #14
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

315RLS ... do you not have a T valve on your water pump inlet with a short length of hose to stick in a gallon jug of antifreeze for winterization? You only need about 2 gallons of antifreeze with this setup. I was just wondering unless your preference is to pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
Deiselguy, I wasn't aware of this option (T value). Will have to check and see if I have one. This has gotten to be a pretty quick and straight forward process anyway, taking all of about ten minutes but I probably do waste a gallon or so of the antifreeze pooring it into the fresh water tank. I'm not sure I mind having a little bit slosh around in the fresh water tank till I flush it in the spring.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote