Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
MTI Gas Propane Detector

My Gas Propane Detector (MTI), has started chirping occasionally. There was no detectable gas odor anywhere in the Monty. At the time, the only gas appliance on was the HW Heater. My first thought was a gas leak, but finding none, I thought maybe the battery in the alarm detector had failed. I pulled the unit out but could not get the cover off for fear of breaking it. If there is no battery in it, then I suspect the unit is failing? Has anyone had a similar issue? It has me baffled.

Jim & Marilyn Rang
2004 2500 CC Silverado SRW Duramax/Allison
2005 3650 Montana RK

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim and Marilyn,

Or 2003 model doesn't have a battery - just the 12v from the Monty. It doesn't have a chirp either or any function that would cause a chirp. Unless your model has improved since mine, I suspect the chirp is actually a low battery from your overhead smoke detector or CO detector. Those chirps are pretty good ventriloquists!

To test the function of your LP detector you can hold cigarette lighter or camp stove lighter and give it a little shot of Butane without the flame.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsrang

My Gas Propane Detector (MTI), has started chirping occasionally. There was no detectable gas odor anywhere in the Monty. At the time, the only gas appliance on was the HW Heater. My first thought was a gas leak, but finding none, I thought maybe the battery in the alarm detector had failed. I pulled the unit out but could not get the cover off for fear of breaking it. If there is no battery in it, then I suspect the unit is failing? Has anyone had a similar issue? It has me baffled.

Our previous 5th wheel was a Roadranger and ours did that also, turned out when the main battery for the rig was low on water that's when it happened. Hope this helps,it can drive ya crazy chirping!

Jim & Marilyn Rang
2004 2500 CC Silverado SRW Duramax/Allison
2005 3650 Montana RK
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Our's goes off when we use any aerosol spray. You don't have to spray it near the detector either. Karen sprayed some Lysol in the bathroom one day and the propane detector started chirping like crazy.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
If your 12 vt. battery is low it will start to chirp, had this problem in my Cougar.
Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Jim,
If its not a low battery and there is no contaminant that would trigger it then it may be a faulty detector. When this happened with ours the indicator light which should be green went red and the reset did not clear it. This is the model that came with our trailer - MTI "30 441" 12v DC 75mA Propane Detector. I worked with Chris Berezowski of MTI Industries 800-383-0269 who provided me a return authorization. After sending it to them to test and receiving the same faulty unit back and resending it to them and getting a replacement, that finally fixed the problem. Good luck.

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
The station battery is fully charged with all cells full - same level. The indicator light is still green with no repeat audibles since the initial occurrence a few days ago. The detector model is the same as mentioned above by 315RLS. It is good to have a contact and # with MTI in the event of failure. Thanks again for all of your input.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote