Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
tommyboy

M.O.C. #20214
2017 3820FK slideout problems

Good afternoon to all,
I picked up my new Montana 3820FK 2 months ago and finally got to go on some trips.
My first problem is with the hydraulic slides. When either putting them in or out they stop about 10 times before going all the way in or out. I checked the 2 auto resetting breakers and they are not the problem.Any thoughts about my issue would be greatly appreciated.

tommyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Breakers are usually the problem, most of us have replaced with 80A. How exactly did you check them?
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Replace the breaker with 80 amp.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Where is the breaker located?

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
tommyboy

M.O.C. #20214
Thank you for replying ,
There is 2 50amp breakers located on the wall behind the batteries.
I checked both terminals on the breakers as I was putting the slide outs in and when they stopped I still had 13volts coming out of both breakers. I then checked for voltage on the wires going to the solenoid and when the slides stop i lose power to them. I pulled the cover off the in command brain and it seems I lose power to the wires coming out of the brain going to the solenoid. It even temporarily shuts down my Bluetooth connection to my control panel for the in command when the slides stop. I'm not sure if there is another breaker or if my in command brain is the issue. It usually takes about 15 sec before I can begin to move the slides again.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
I have a 2016 3820fk but have not had a slide problem. Sounds like you have a legacy model with in command. If I were you I would access the in command relay panel in the basement. There is a rotary switch to select the slide and a switch to operate the slide. You'd have to play around with the rotary switch to see what setting is which slide but this will isolate the problem to an in command problem or slide control problem.

You may be in warranty but if like me you'll want to figure it out yourself before deciding if a dealer repair is required.

John - 2016 3820fk
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I too have the 2016 3820FK Legacy and find John's information helpful if I were to have a slide problem. I also have never notice the 50 amp circuit breakers in the battery compartment, but makes sense with the hydraulics being there.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
tommyboy

M.O.C. #20214
Thank You for your replies,
Unfortunately in the main in command panel the slide selector dial does not control the hydraulic slides. It works the 2 electric slides just fine but does nothing for anything controlled hydraulically like the 6 point jacks either. I noticed this when I first picked up the camper and was going thru each system in case of a power failure. I mentioned this to the dealer as well and they told me I have to run the pump with my drill in order to retract the jacks and the slides. Kind of frustrating that it leads you to believe that if the in command screen fails you can control everything from the dials and rocker switches but that is not the case. It looks like from all your replies I must be the 1 lucky one who has a hydraulic slide issue like this, I was hoping it was a quick fix but I guess Im going to have to have the dealer look at this one. I do appreciate everyone that took their time to try and assist me.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Well that's interesting, thanks for the info. The input has to come from the DC and trigger a relay on the BCM to power the pump and solenoids, so I'll have to mess around with this the next time I run my slides. If the rotary and toggle switch don't work as expected that seems to be on ASA. Very interesting.

Good luck on your issue. Seems to me someone on here had your problem and it was the BCM. Just can't find the post.

John - 2016 3820FK
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
jjchomp

M.O.C. #18554
I have the same issue. Was wondering if it is enough battery to run the slides. I can see the voltage drop immediately when you start running the hydraulic slides in or out. Drops to about 11 volts, you wait a few second and the voltage is back up to 14.5 (running generator). They only have one size 27 battery for the whole coach. Same 3820FK.

John
jjchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
tommyboy

M.O.C. #20214
My unit has 2 batteries and I still see a drop in voltage even its the camper in plugged in.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
Bruce0850
Established Member

M.O.C. #19350
We just got back from a trip out to Minnesota with our 2017 3820Fk. The first couple of nights, everything was good, but the 3rd night, the door side living room slide would only come out about a foot. The other 2 on the main control worked fine. Could never get the slide all the way out. Good thing we have two doors, because you couldn't get from front to back. Very inconvienent, since we were supposed to have Suzanne's 89 year old mother staying with us. She had to stay elsewhere. This may a different problem though because I think something is broken. The hydraulicram moves around. And then, to top it off, when we dumped the grey tank for the kitchen sink, all the water ran into the belly, not out the drain line. #@%*&%. Back to Camping world again!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
Bruce0850
Established Member

M.O.C. #19350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce0850 View Post
We just got back from a trip out to Minnesota with our 2017 3820Fk. The first couple of nights, everything was good, but the 3rd night, the door side living room slide would only come out about a foot. The other 2 on the main control worked fine. Could never get the slide all the way out. Good thing we have two doors, because you couldn't get from front to back. Very inconvienent, since we were supposed to have Suzanne's 89 year old mother staying with us. She had to stay elsewhere. This may a different problem though because I think something is broken. The hydraulicram moves around. And then, to top it off, when we dumped the grey tank for the kitchen sink, all the water ran into the belly, not out the drain line. #@%*&%. Back to Camping world again!!!
Update to slide/grey tank issue. The adjusting bolt on the door side living room slide had loosened, causing the ram to bind, and caused the ram to hit the drain line for the galley grey tank, breaking the line just after the valve. Took it out last week, and everything works again.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
tommyboy

M.O.C. #20214
Hello all,
I apologize if I haven't given any updates about the issues I asked for assistance with a long time ago. So in case anyone else is experiencing the same issues I just wanted to give an update. The entire (brain ) for the in command which is in the basement im sure your all well aware where its located had to be replaced in my 3820 FK . This was causing with my slideout issues and hot water tank issues as well. However one by one the boards for every other system seem to be going now. The board for the hot water tank a couple weeks ago and now problems with the auto level system. which ofcourse is just out of warranty. I was told by the tech that replaced the in command brain that the voltage coming out of the main brain board was low causing the issues with the slideouts. Im starting to get the feeling that this also caused problems with everything else the in command controls and ofcourse now they are out of warranty so its on me.