Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Spring Shackles

Coming home from Az, we spent 3 days in St. George, UT. Upon leaving on SUNDAY morning we Lost/Broke the right rear Shackle bolt. Where upon the Shock-absorber took out the tire. The Monty did well as far as staying where it belonged until we could pull-over. We were at the on-ramp NB on I-17 at the highway to Sedona. The Roadcare people did the best they could sending a truck to change tire, before I discovered the REAL problem. Then they ordered a roll-on. Well I called them back to inform them that a 12' 9" 5er don't do well with overpasses on the back of a flatbed truck! LOL Finally they found a mobile RV repairman. He got us going. ($351 bucks later) We were there from 10AM-6PM. The only other damage is a hole punched in the bellypan fabric.

SO do I recall that there was a prob with this earlier? I have the Alko units, but I'm sure the bolts are not their prob??

dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dersequim,
Sorry to learn of your problem with the shackles. There was a thread on the MOC Forum sometime ago that first alerted us to a potential problem with that area. A fellow had his wheel fall off as he arrived home from a trip. Started looking and found the shackles were all worn severely. So several of us started watching ours very closely.

Sure enough a few months later we could easily see the wear on the shackles. My brother and I changed the ones on my rig. The kit was about $150. Relatively straight forward process. I've posted pictures on my picutreTrail site. Just click on it.... located in my signature block..... and then select the album on "Shackles". We replaced all the shackles and spring holders with heavy duty Dexter equipment. Much heavier with grease zerks and bronze sleeves. We shouldn't have any more problems with those things.

By the way if they fixed only the one that was broken you still have others that MAY be nearing the breaking point as well. If they did not check or replace you should at least check them before you set out on another trip. Drop a post here or to my email if you have any further questions.

Glad you didn't have any more damage than you did. See you on down the road.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hamrod

Did the dexter work with the alko shackles?I personally don`t see any wear yet.But the up-grade you did,it sure looks like a more stable way to go.Catching the problem before their is a problem is the way to go in my book.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 AM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hamrad

Is this the one you purchased?

K71-359-00 heavy duty suspension kit--price $113.26
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Harleyrider,
The wear on the shackles is very difficult to see. You must be near the shackle and at just the right angle. But once you see one wearing you'll have no trouble knowing exactly what to look for.

The Dexter stuff was a direct replacement for the ALKO stuff. I'm sorry I don't remember the part number..... so the one you listed could be the one.

Awaywego posted some info in an email and he said I could pass it along in case it might be of benefit to someone else.

"The kit number is K71-359-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit just incase someone else should ask."

Dexter Axle

HamRad
Old 04-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Just a coincidence I am sure. We left Sadona and went to Arches National park in March. I noticed that one of the shackle ties that hold the springs on had started to wear. We found a trailer repair shop and they replaced both sides and installed two new bolts in half an hour and we were on the road again. $30 was really cheap for the piece of mind. Two weeks later leaving Mohab UT. The Oil pressure dropped to 0 as we left Zion N. P. Thank goodness for C.W. road care. They sent a tow truck that towed both rigs at the same time. Zero cost to us. It was the sender not tho oil pump. That was only $113. When we got home the power steering pump went out and took the vacuum pump with it. $535. Glub said we should have bought our new rig in AZ. As we bought it from the same outfit we were talking to there.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
The repairman checked all the rest and the spring mountings. Said they all loooked OK! He felt that the bolt just backed out.

Will get a GOOD look for myself and spring for the kit.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
I think all new units have dexter axles under them.I also seen a guy from mor ride at the office when we were there for the tour.It would be nice to be able to get it as an option.
tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We had worn shackles, which we got replaced. Your problem appears to be one of the bolts, not the shackles themselves. May well have been as the tech suspected.
There is no torque value in the Al-Ko manual for those bolts. No idea what Dexter say re the subject.

If you are interested, I posted pictures and a description back in Feb. Just do a search for "shackles"

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #10
Montana_3432

M.O.C. #3432
Wouldn't you think that if this a common problem that could possibly lead to dangrous situation that Montana should issue a recall on these spring shackles and bolts?
Montana_3432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
HamRad,

How do I get to those pictures you are talking about? I clicked on your name but can't see where I get to the pictures. I would like to view these. I don't think I am having any problems but now I want to make sure. I will also buy the kit to make sure everything is ok. Thank goodness you didn't have more damage.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Bill and Rita,
If you have signatures turned off then you won't see it. But if you have the signatures on then at the bottom of this post you'll see where it says "PictureTrail". Click on that and when it takes you to the PictureTrail site choose "shackles". That will bring up the pictures. Some other really good photos were taken and posted by Patodonn. You can do a search and find them. I think the keyword would be "shackles". Let me know if you can't find them. I think my subscription to PictureTrail is still good.

HamRad
Old 05-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
I checked out your photo's, very good. How about the bolt for the equalizer?
That looks like a weak point. Did you have it off? I looked my shackles over pretty close when I packed the bearings, but your photo's tempt me to pull it apart just to be sure.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Jerryb,
The equalizer is new. I assume the bolt is new also but in looking at the photos it's hard to tell if it is. The equalizer is part of the kit.

If you looked them over carefully then they are probably OK. Though it is hard to see the wear it is really obvious once it has started. Just keep an eye on them and know that they are a very weak point in the suspension system.

We first noticed the wear on them just before we headed back to IN for the Rally last year. My brother said they were starting to wear but that I could make the trip OK. So off we went. I put about 6k miles on that trip. When we returned we changed them out. I could not have gone much further on the old ones. So as long as you're looking it won't come as a surprise.

HamRad
Old 05-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #15
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Had to replace the ones on ours. 3 of them were bad. Not bad for 60000 miles.Installed the grease able type bolts on it. Hope it will last several miles like the last ones.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I seem to remember a recall on units purchased back in '99 an '00 for something with the springs. I don't remember if it was the spring shackles or if it had to do with the way the springs were attached to the frame. It wouldn't hurt to call Keystone Customer Service and see what the story is.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #17
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thanks HamRad,
I got the pictures ok.
I'm going out to look to see what mine look like.
Did you order the Kit on the Internet? Or where did you get the kit? Would one Kit be for only one side? How many Shackles come in the Kit?
Boy, lot's of questions huh?

Bill

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Accuprep,
I got the kit from a local brake and trailer supply place. Unless you live in a VERY small town I'm sure there'd be a shop that would or should have what you're looking for. Of course you might get a better price on the internet. I think I paid about $150 but someone ordered it online for $113. The kit covered both sides of rig. Or at least I think it did. I'm getting old and forgetful.... CRS causes a lot of trouble for me.

Good luck. HamRad