Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #21
Gregg Varner
Established Member

M.O.C. #22416
Wow, thank you...

Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Gregg Varner
Established Member

M.O.C. #22416
I have an update. Talked face-to-face with the dealer which is Tom Johnson's Camping World in Marion North Carolina. We made a deal. The dealer agreed to add the 2nd air conditioner which had an approximate cost a $1300 I agreed to pay $400. In defense of the dealer Keystone should have probably never put that unit out with one air conditioner. So I guess at this point I feel like the dealer actually came through for me. That said my lack of knowledge is what resulted in a poor walkthrough from my end. When I go back to pick it up next week I'm going to insist on a more thorough walkthrough and understanding for me. I also got a tip at church tonight someone suggested that when I go to pick it up I stay one night in their camp ground there at Tom Johnson's Camping World so I really have time to go through everything again myself while I am right there on their property. Thinking I'm gonna probably do that. I want to thank you all as well for your thoughts and comments. Have owned small campers in the past but never anything this big or this nice. We really do like the unit and hopefully by next week our punch list will be completed then it will be off to enjoy our camper. In talking with them face-to-face the other things I had brought to their attention they already had most of them fixed. So I guess all in all I'll have to say the dealer did me pretty good. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #23
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Recommend you contact Trailer Life Magazine right away.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #24
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Gregg,

Sounds like the dealer is taking pretty good care of you.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #25
Gregg Varner
Established Member

M.O.C. #22416
Better than i thought at first.... Hopefully I get the unit next week which will actually really be taking delivery of the same brand new unit a second time...i will be using thechecklist ya'll shared, and then I can check everything out again. The problem now as I can't get the service Tech to return my phone calls. Sure does get frustrating. Any who one day at a time...
Old 08-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
Gregg Varner
Established Member

M.O.C. #22416
Thanks to everyone for sharing and helping me with this, you guys are awesome.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
Do any of you think that all problems will always be found during PDIs. I would not have known a lot of the things to look for in doing a PDI. Please don't automatically blame the buyer for not finding all problems.. Everyone may not be as experienced or as smart as you.
All problems, no. I used a comprehensive, multi-page PDI list that took 4 hours to complete. I'm not smarter but maybe more experienced. The dealer didn't bat an eye when I told them to go away for a while. I found 13 issues, 9 of which had to be completed before I signed for the unit. They did so the 2nd day and away we went. I scheduled the remaining minor repairs a few months later. It doesn't help this new owner, but the list is in this forum.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #28
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
Welcome to the club.
Glad to hear things are going better.
RVing is all about learning and this is a great place to share & learn
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #29
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
I also used the "phillyg" PDI list in February on my new coach. It is the most comprehensive that I have ever used on the last 5 units I have purchased. Worked like a champ, too I might add!!!

It pays to be a smart consumer, not a sorry consumer later down the road after the purchase.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #30
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
gregg, so your A/C worked but it was enough to cool the trailer. that is typical for only having one A/C unit.

sorry to tell you but having 2 A/Cs won't resolve the issue. the trailers just don't cool down enough, in HOT weather, even with 2 A/C units.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #31
Gregg Varner
Established Member

M.O.C. #22416
Thanks, still hopeful....
Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #32
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
It's a shame that keystone, manufacturer of the most popular RV of all time, the Montana, expects it's customers with little or no experience to act as quality control inspectors. Choosing instead to rely on it's dealers to make repairs that should have been caught before leaving the factory.
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #33
Gregg Varner
Established Member

M.O.C. #22416
Agreed
Old 08-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #34
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
we picked our new 3121 in Feb. 2018. we also had a list of items that needed to be worked. one had to have keystone approval. I had to call keystone to push that thru. I asked about the workmanship and keystone said that these issues were not on the delivery sheet, 1 of these items was a safety issue, the gas line. The dealership said that keystone only inspect ever 50 or so.

So we inspect the new units and have the dealer fix them.

We do like our 5th wheel. Just not happy with the workmanship for the $$ that we paid.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #35
BrownBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #22331
Welcome!
I hope you crack the code and get all issues resolved.
Be safe and enjoy your travels.
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #36
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Talking Take Action

Had problems with our new rig first time out. Brought it home and took it to dealer who after 3 weeks had done nothing. Spoke with Keystone as well as service manager with still no action. Called states Att. Gen. office and sent them infor on what was going on. KAPOW, that set them all in action and were tripping over themselves trying to resolve the problem. Somtimes you have to give them a kick in the but to get movement.
docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #37
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Received this email from keystone:

"Our love of the RV lifestyle drives our priority to develop superior products. We pride ourselves on the ability to deliver high quality features at a lower cost, compared to other brands on the market. We offer much more than just a great price. Owning a Keystone RV provides you with peace of mind knowing that we stand by our exceptional products with excellent customer service, vehicle warranty, and dealerships nationwide"
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #38
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2itcliff View Post
Received this email from keystone:

"Our love of the RV lifestyle drives our priority to develop superior products......We pride......"
That's such an outrageous statement I almost spit out my coffee! I have to say that, before we gave up on our FR product and bought our MT, FR was willing to bring the unit back to the factory for repairs, and make our payments while they had it. When I had to call KS for something relatively minor (we were on the road) while still under warranty, they could have cared less. I still think our MT is a better-built unit overall, but "superior product" it ain't.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #39
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Your AC Issue

Recommend you review the Air Conditioning thread on the Forum that addresses the return air passageway at the return air grills. Your's is probably constricted. Found it that way on my 2017 305RL and on my brother-in-law's new 2018 Montana. Installed the plastic tubes to open up the return air pathway (you'll see a description of them in the thread) and the AC works fine.

Also: better look at your slider gear boxes and read the Forum thread(s) that describe gear box leakage: it causes the slider roof membrane to blister. There should be leak trays under your gear boxes (at the very least).

Good luck!
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #40
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If the dealer said they would have it done in a week, go back in 3 days and check what they fixed, if anything. If no progress, return daily. One week in dealers world means between now and 3 months.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote