Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 02:55 AM   #1
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Front Landing Leg Problem

After 6 years the landing gear apparently has stripped the gears...the motor still runs and the shaft that crosses to the left landing leg tries to turn between the "clicking" noise that sounds like it is coming from the gear box....question.... has anyone just changed out the gear box itself or just the gears? I assume to work on the front landing gears and legs you have to block up the front of the 5th wheel to release pressure on the whole mechanism so it will not collapse to the ground....would appreciate any ideas and help on this problem....it broke after we got home as we were just able to get the truck out from under the Monty....I assume parts have to come from Lippert as well.... thanks.

sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #2
Gcasta
Established Member

M.O.C. #14578
I have replaced the gear box on my previous SOB. Wasn't very difficult, I hooked the truck up to the 5th wheel to get the load off the landing gear. See if you can manually raise it up with the hand crank.
You can get replacement parts at etrailer
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acce...mper_Jack.aspx
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sola123
They also hav some pretty good videos and instructions on how to repair/replace most thngs they sell

After 6 years the landing gear apparently has stripped the gears...the motor still runs and the shaft that crosses to the left landing leg tries to turn between the "clicking" noise that sounds like it is coming from the gear box....question.... has anyone just changed out the gear box itself or just the gears? I assume to work on the front landing gears and legs you have to block up the front of the 5th wheel to release pressure on the whole mechanism so it will not collapse to the ground....would appreciate any ideas and help on this problem....it broke after we got home as we were just able to get the truck out from under the Monty....I assume parts have to come from Lippert as well.... thanks.
Gcasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Thanks for the information so quickly....That is what makes this forum so great...so glad to be a part of it....after reading the product info, the reviews and Q&A....I do believe it is the gearbox and not the leg gears....Thanks Again...
Old 11-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
I replaced mine last year and was a pretty easy job. I took my time and got it finished in less than two hours. I got my gear box from Amazon at the time. You will want to check out the ratio on the g-box too. My original g-box operated faster than the one I have on there now and it was the only one available at the time. I will venture to say that the slower it operates, it will increase it's future lifespan cause the slower it turns, the less friction and wear. You can try and find one with the faster ratio cause they are out there. Simply put, either will work, and an easy job. Good luck and see ya next year.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Also, look on Ebay. They should have a few also.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
When I had problems with each leg I replaced the whole setup with a Bulldog dual motor setup. Would have cost almost the same if I'd taken the Monty & old legs to a dealer to get repaired. Now I can level some with the landing gear and not worry about messing up that box.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Thanks Jimmy...I will probably give you a call to discuss in more detail....sounds like it is pretty easy and reasonably cheap to fix...
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Call me any time Stan.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Well...we have eliminated the problem not to be the motor, breakers or gear box....but the front left leg...the one the motor and gear box attach.....how do I know which leg to buy to replace it with....I can find no ID or part number on it anywhere... The motor is Venture....is it a Lippert leg?. Stirongberg Carlson? Want to replace whole leg....but not both unless I have too....any help appreciated...
Old 11-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Take the top cap off the leg. There should be a tag on the inside of the cap.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
As halfwhright wrote, the leg part number is on the inside of the cap. Get the number and call Venture Manufacturing. They are the people who make the legs. Do not call Keystone, Montana or Lippert. Venture is great to work with. They will sell pieces parts if you are up to repairing the leg (diagrams are on their web site) or complete legs (a simple change).

Patty Everling EXT 20 / email patty@venturemfgco.com
Pam Hamilton EXT 24 / email pam@venturemfgco.com
Sue Haller EXT 28 / email sue@venturemfgco.com
(Note: these contact are several years old and may have changed. But they should get you close)
http://www.venturemfgco.com/

Venture Mfg Co.
3636 Dayton Park Dr. Dayton, Ohio 45414
(937) 233-8792
Toll Free: 866-365-1957
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Well....I took the top off of both legs and no label or part number can I find....however it does seem the Venture item number 900-40R OM is the correct leg I need to order...will call venture mfg tomorrow...the measurements and looks appear to be the same.....thanks for everyone's help and input...it has been very educational experience to say the least.....I will certainly know a lot better next time how to check, verify, eliminate and isolate next time...thanks again....I love this forum.....even strangers are friends......
Old 11-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Count the teeth in the pinion gear. I am old and forget stuff, but it seems like there are two different ones--a 13 and a 15 tooth. you need to stay the same or the legs will extend at different rates. But, I might be thinking of something entirely different.
Old age sucks!!
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DuneBuggyBuilder

As halfwhright wrote, the leg part number is on the inside of the cap. Get the number and call Venture Manufacturing. They are the people who make the legs. Do not call Keystone, Montana or Lippert. Venture is great to work with. They will sell pieces parts if you are up to repairing the leg (diagrams are on their web site) or complete legs (a simple change).

Patty Everling EXT 20 / email patty@venturemfgco.com
Pam Hamilton EXT 24 / email pam@venturemfgco.com
Sue Haller EXT 28 / email sue@venturemfgco.com
(Note: these contact are several years old and may have changed. But they should get you close)
http://www.venturemfgco.com/

Venture Mfg Co.
3636 Dayton Park Dr. Dayton, Ohio 45414
(937) 233-8792
Toll Free: 866-365-1957
You are SOOO right about Venture. I needed a repair kit for a slide motor on SOB about 5 years ago and Patty asked me for the serial # on motor. When I gave it to her she told me what unit and what slide the motor was hooked up to and the date it was manufactured and the serial # on the 5er..I was blown away!

She was very easy to deal with and knew what she was doing. A nice change from usual.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #15
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Called Venture...even though we had their motor and gearbox...they say not their legs....so called etrailer...have Lippert replacement on the way...pics and specs appear to be the same for both....Venture said leg cap is different...and said I had Lippert landing legs...oh well...just so it works....
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh my, I've been away from the forum for a while and didn't seen this post until now.

It took some searching but I found a rebuild kit that is way less expensive that buying a whole new leg, but this was the case for my year and model of Montana. I don't know how different yours would be.

Or if your real lucky you can find exploded diagrams for your landing leg, then identify the part number you need and call RV supply shops for availability.

This is what I did, and on my landing gear the pin that connects the leg to the motor rod broke. I found a replacement at a relatively local shop and installed it myself. The part I bought was about $8 and a replacement leg was over $200. I would imagine a gear set would also be reasonable. I found the rebuild kits online (gears, pins, etc.) for less than $50.

I will admit the most angry I got was when I called Lippert/Venture and they tried to make me buy a whole landing leg for over $200. After I repaired my landing leg I went to the Lippert/Venture and this is where I was finally found THEY had a landing gear rebuild kit, then used that identifiers to find it online.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #17
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
I've been off of the forum for a while. Not sure if it's the same issue you are having. There is a pin that connects a square metal tube to the motor. The pin on my landing gear sheared off and would just spin with the landing gear not going up or down. I just had to replace the pin.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:09 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It would be great for someone to post the pin number, description and location to get it.
Lawnmower blades, RV slides and many other mechanical devices have them, they save the major parts when something jams, or the pin weakens.
I bet some of the helpful reply's have covered this, if so, sorry, but if not... Thanks for helping out.
I would like to have a couple in my toolbox.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #19
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
The pin that sheared on my rig is in the front compartment. there is a square medal tube that runs the width of the rig and ties both landing gear together. there is a screw type pin that connects the square tube to both landing gear so they extend and retract together. the pin actually sheared on the passenger side last year when I purchased the unit from Camping World and Camping World put a 1 1/4" long X 1/4" diameter bolt with a nut to replace the pin. I started carrying the same thing along with a nylon locking nut in my tool box. Unfortunately the pin on the drivers side on my rig is located directly under the drive motor for the landing gear and the 1 1/4" long bolt was too long. I went to the hardware store and bought a 1" long X 1/4" bolt and nylon locking nut to replace the pin. It seems to be working fine, but I'll carry a couple of extra just to be sure. (Just a heads up, the pin is a screw type hex head screw that screws through the square medal tube to the landing gear connection. When they shear it takes some work to unscrew the remainder of the pin back out of the medal tube).

Hope this helps. I'm not the most mechanical person so my explanation may not make sense? Also I suspect the reason for the pin to shear was operator error (me). I suspect I probably retracted the landing gear too far to cause the pin to shear.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 AM   #20
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Well folks....after all the trouble shooting and advice it finally came down to being the worm gear in the drive leg.....so after $103.00 from etrailer.com....the leg has been installed and all is well.....it was indeed a really good learning experience and duh..if I had tried my last idea first I could have saved about $200....but we now have new drive motor with tranny, new gear box and leg.....and some spare breakers to boot......thanks to everyone for all the advice and trouble shooting ideas......so now in 69 days we will be on the road rolling .....thanks again!....and Merry Christmas to everyone....