Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
heater air intake

Our 2013 model 3402 has the heater air intake openings in the steps going upstairs. Lots of cold air comes in when heater not running. I blocked them off and heaters still seems to work OK?? What do you think?

mdhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
By blocking off the air source for your heater, you are sucking in even colder air from outside air coming from around your pass thru storage area and where ever else it can come in. From what I've gathered on this forum, the area under the steps needs to be unrestricted for the heater to work efficiently, and even safely. Besides, you are denying your heater the ability to add heat to already warm air coming from inside your living space, reducing it's efficiency.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
I purchased the 2 inch foil-backed insulating board from Home Depot & cut to size to block off the gaps between the floor rafters in the basement above the back wall. I also use duct tape for any smaller gaps.
In addition I inserted door screen behind the stair vents to keep out any dirt, bugs, flys etc. In the summer I also place plastic behind the stair vents to keep out the heat. Those vents are not needed for the A/C.
Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Several members have installed filters in that area, but I wouldn't recommend trying to totally close that area off. The furnace needs a return air source and it will try to get that from the outside if it can't get it from the inside. If it's really cold outside that will mean drawing outside air over some of your water lines just to name one negative result.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Agree, not a viable option.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
Thanks folks.All good advice. I think I will figure out a way to place some filters there.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While at the Fall Rally this last year in Goshen this very question was brought up at one of the sessions. The techs advised NOT to put anything to prohibit the air from returning to the furnace. They also do not recommend putting in closible registers in the floors because they said the furnace is set up to put out so much air flow and all the floor vents are needed to be open to get that flow. If you close even one of them it can create a problem with the furnace of not enough air flow going out into the unit. Since you have a new unit, I would be contacting Montana Customer Service and see what they say on the subject! You sure wouldn't want to void your furnace or even you unit warranty just because of installing a filter!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I posted this a couple of years ago ... it seems Keystone is still building them like my 2011. If you were to take the rear wall away from your pass thru compartment, as well as the plastic wedge away from behind your convenience center, the first photo shows what you have ... you underbelly, your pass thru storage, and the area below your steps to the bedroom is really all one area with no barrier between any of the three. The pass thru wall does not seal top or bottom. If your underbelly is like mine and several others I've looked at, it's by no means air tight ... if you crawl inside the pass thru and close the doors, I'd bet you can see a bit of light around one or both pass thru storage doors. If the wind is howling, there is ample sources for cold air to blow out from beneath the bedroom steps because as I've proved ... there are no barriers between the belly, pass thru, or your steps. I stuffed insulation in the gap leading down to the underbelly and 2" foam strips above the pass thru rear wall as shown in my photos. I also built a plywood wall behind the convenience center as when you remove the plastic barrier behind the center you can look right past the hot water heater on to the area housing the heater under the fridge. I also adjusted the pass thru doors as best I could although they still leak air a bit. I'd say I cut down 90% of the draft in the late Fall and my A/C keeps the fiver cooler in the Summer with less cycling since cold air isn't falling out my belly pan all day long. I've looked in several of the newer models with the drop frame at RV shows ... although the floor plans are different, the pass thru rear wall is basically the same.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
Thanks guys. Good information.