Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #21
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Just wanted to post an update on axle weight for our unit. Much to our surprise after looking at the tag on them we found that each axle is 5200 lbs GVWR. This seems to be adequent for the dry weight but under for loaded weight - doesn't allow much to be put in the trailer, not to mention ever carring water in tanks. Jack, needless to say isn't a happy camper over this coming to light.

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #22
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
I posted a couple of weeks ago about the tire wear on the inside of the tread of the right rear tire. My 5ver is a 2003 2955RL, which I bought 13 months ago. The left rear tire was also worn on the inside and scuffed across the tread indicative of toe-out. I contacted Keystone, and they said to contact AL-Ko because of the 2-year axle warranty. I explained the problem to Al-Ko, and they authorized a replacement axle and labor to replace my old one at the dealer of my choice. It took a week to arrive, and I now have the new axle installed. I am very pleased with the responsiveness shown by Al-Ko.
It appears to me that the axles that Keystone puts on these 5vers are undersized - mine appear to be 5200# axles and with a GVW of the 2955 of 12,500#, something doesn't look right. I will continue to monitor this and see if I get wear again.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:37 PM   #23
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Took our 5ver back to dealer on Monday, because ofthe tires wearing on inside. Al Ko shipped to new axels & told the dealer to buy 4 tires locally & replace the ones on it.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
jimc and Gene - were your axles bent?

We are hoping the correction to the axle being reposition due to improper installation will solve the tire wear. We aren't planning another trip at present so won't know if the situation is remedied. Unfortunately, the 2 yr warranty is only until February and only time and miles will tell with the wear. We had this done at a respected and long time business here - our dealer doesn't do this type of work.

Al-Ko did step up to the plate and take care of brake that fell apart and hoping to be reimbursed for the repairs to the axle and springs. Time will tell.

Like you the weight just doesn't compute for axle weight and trailer weight. Doesn't leave much room for loading with supplies!

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 09-02-2004, 04:27 AM   #25
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Lorraine - I could not tell visually if the axle was bent. However, I did look at the new axle and the old side-by-side on the shop floor, and it sure appeared to me that the upward bow in the new axle was greater than the old one. I would surmise that is what Al-Ko means by "loss of camber."
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:01 AM   #26
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Our serviceman just looked at my tires & called Al-Ko I didn't pull it in the shop. they said replace the axles & tires.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #27
Montana_2033

M.O.C. #2033
We had excessive wear on inside of all four tires. Took it to our dealer and our axels have been ordered and we will recieve 4 new tires. We are out of warranty but my husband had the wear problem documented as an issue before warranty expired. Seems to me that this is a significant widespread problem, I just hope we haven't been replaced with the same product. I'd be curious to see if this is something that has only happened to people how have "x" number of miles and it just hasn't shown up in the ones that don't have as many miles??
Montana_2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #28
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Understand some of the 2005 models now have dexter axles instead of al-ko,also have noticed on another forum that some everest owners are having tire and axle problems,seems to be a widespread keystone problem, just hope they will step up to the plate like i have heard they have done before.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:15 PM   #29
Montana_2020
Established Member

M.O.C. #2020
Taking my 2955rl in next week for axle alignment. Getting same wear problem as you all have gotten - inside edge of tires. Will let you know what happens and what the axle people say.
As to winter camping - we went to the Utah olympics with our unit. Put insider storms over all the windows and skylights. Also use an electric blanket for heat. Kept warm enough with just two electric heaters. Trailer stayed at 55DeG.F and we could warm it up quickly using the furnace. After the olympics we headed to Death Valley where we had to use the AC. At the time we were having a problem with one of the brakes locking up - but the dealer fixed that when we returned.

1996 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Ext. Cab
Have had minimal problems with Dodge. but am sure to do maintenance as required
Montana_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I just noticed yesterday the left rear tire on ours is severely worn on the inside. But we're two months past the two year warranty period so I guess I'm out of luck. I'll have to swap out this tire when we leave the rally. The spare is brand new, a replacement for a defective Goodyear, so I'll use that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #31
Montana_1741
Established Member

M.O.C. #1741
2004 3670 Our dealership replaced axles and tires. Same problem with tire wear on the inside of all four tires. Hope the new set doesn't do the same thing once more. Suspect axles too small for our unit.
Montana_1741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #32
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Sure is a wide spread problem of axles not being mounted correctly causing improper tire wear. We contacted Keystone and have sent the bill for axles being repaired. We had a call from Keystone Customer Rep and said they would pay for the repairs and also 2 tires, which we had done and sent the bill - waiting on check now. We were pleased to get the call from the customer rep with the news. Our axles didn't have to be replaced even though Al-Ko said no problem in doing so.

Glad to hear they have changed axles but now they need to do an upgrade for weight - can't see were it would cost that much more to put on higher weight axles.

Jack and I are sure cutting down even though according to scales we are under weight. No more trips for a while as Monty is in the backyard with a cord of wood in front of her waiting to be moved plus a few other things keeping us at home . I just hope with the axles being mounted right we don't end up finding out something else is wrong after the warranty is out, when we are able to travel.

Steve - was pleased to see your post that you are getting your problems taken care of.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 10-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #33
Montana_2020
Established Member

M.O.C. #2020
Hello all,
We have had the same tire wear proplem as you all have had. Alignment people said it would cost $90 per axle to realign, but that the spring shackles were also failing. We decided to go ahead and put on heavier axles and suspension parts and are going with 7000# axles. I don't expect to have any more problems after rhis. Cost will be about $1000.00, but we expect to have our unit (2955
RL) for a few years yet. It's too bad that Keystone can't make them right in the first place - maybe a job for Nader?
.The company where we are having the work done has about 30 rv's of all description on his lot waiting for parts. This is about all he does. The problem even extends to diesel pushers .
Old 10-20-2004, 05:23 AM   #34
Montana_2020
Established Member

M.O.C. #2020
To all with axle problems:
Sounds like most of you have had your problems resolved by Montana. Since our unit is three years old I bi-passed the dealer and went directly to an axle guy. Going to cost me $1000.00 for new axles and suspension. From the sound of sound of you'alls experience with Mintana I should have gone to them first and would recommend that any owner check with Montana regardles of unit age.
Bob Finkel
Old 11-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #35
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
I have been following this topic with great interest as I too am experiencing extreme inner treadware on both tires on the back axle. Was feeling good about having bought a Montana from a company that seems to really support their customers.

Until just now that is.

My dealer called earlier today and said that Keystone turned down their request for an axle alignment. (I should add the my 2850RK was purchased new in Feb. 2004 so is well within warranty). My dealer, who has always done an excellent job supporting me on other issues, suggested I call Keystone which I did. Was told by the customer service rep. that alignments weren't a warranty item and that I should call AL-KO Kober. Incidently my dealer was told by their Keystone contact (Team Montana?) that I probably hit something to cause the problem. Talked to AL-KO Kober rep. and was told that usually this type of problem is caused by a trailer being overweight. I monitor this pretty closely so have trouble accepting that. Also he was surprised that Keystone referred me to him as the unit was less than a year old. But if my dealer would remove the axle and UPS it to them in Indiana for their inspection they would gladly replace it if it were found defective. He did say they had a few problems with some units from Indiana but that my Montana was manufactured in Oregon (which was news to me - I thought Cougars and maybe Sprinters were made in Oregon). Anyway as I live in Washington State shipping the axle to Indiana would be rather costly, especially if they said there was nothing wrong.

So I have instructed my dealer to get the axles inspected and aligned and to document everything they do and why (at my expense). Hoping if they find anything wrong I can get reimbursed for the costs as most of you have been.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Hank
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #36
Montana_2681

M.O.C. #2681
We have a 2000 Montana 2850 we bought new in late 1999, that probably has less than 15,000 miles on it. Last weekend we had a blowout. We took it to a tire dealer and had all the tires replaced. Less than five miles later we had another blowout. We discovered that the axle had shifted and the tire was rubbing on the shock absorber. We called a towing service to haul it to the nearest Montana dealer. Unfortunately, the rig is too tall to put on a "low-boy" trailer. So we had a trucking fleet service company come out and repair the axle, leaf springs and shackles and realign everything. The serviceman said that the frame had buckled causing the axle to shift to the right. Tomorrow I pull it to the Montana dealer to see what Keystone will do to help me. The cost of repairs was not huge, but the thought of what kind of accident we might have had is pretty scary.
Montana_2681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #37
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all Welcome Carl Conger to the MOC!!

That is a scary thought fortunately it was just a thought.
Years back Montana was having problems with frames cracking. You might want your dealer or you to contact Montana and see if your rig was one of those involved. Have your VIN # handy when you speak to Montana.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #38
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Carl,

The early 99-2000 models had the 8 inch frame. Due to early frame problems with these models Keystone issued Service Advisory 00-8 to upgrade the frame to withstand more punishment. The chance for an axle shift on my 2850 is very remote due the steel re-enforcements.

Although Keystone is still performing this frame upgrade free of charge, they did not not do a good job of recalling these units for repair. There are still a lot of units out there that have not been upgraded. They also track this upgrade by VIN number. Everytime I see an early Montana I look to see if they have the frame upgrade.

If you need more info e-mail me.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carl, suggest you call Keystone direct with the vin number as posts above suggest. You can find their phone number at the http://www.keystone-montana.com site or maybe someone has it and will post it. As noted above, they have been good about fixing these years after warranty and for even second and third owners. Can't guarantee they still do that but my bet is they do as it's not been that long since we heard on this forum of someone getting it fixed for free. LightningJack11 (above post) had his fixed and says it's a very strong fix.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #40
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
I am very pleased to let everyone here know that Keystone once again has stepped up to support one of their products. Our 2003 2850RK now has 2 new axles and 4 new tires installed locally and provided by Keystone. They also reimbursed us the $367.50 we initially paid our dealer to have the axles aligned.

I especially would like to thank David Hilliker of Keystone for the professional manner in which he handled our request for compensation. His frequent phone calls and coordination of shipments and installation were greatly appreciated.

Keystones timely action is enabling us to head south this Thursday as we had originally planned. Also thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing their experiences which proved to be so helpful and to especially lightningjack11 for their advice.
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote