Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
Jim B
Established Member

M.O.C. #1566
Screeching brakes

I have a 2004 Montana 2955RL. My brakes screech everytime I stop. Just came back from another weekend out and it is really loud. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it. Thanks Jim

Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Could be that they are Glazed up, from getting hot with too high a voltage setting, and not working in conjunction with the tow vehicle.

TT2

Don & Georgia
FORD F-350 Turbo Diesel
Banks Sys,Prodigy,
Pullin 2004 / 2980-RL
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
My brakes make the noise also, has since day one which was 4 months ago. Just finished a trip to the East coast and back and it became quite frustrating to hear the noise. I did determine if I turned the control down the noise stopped, but then the brakes did not work as well. I used this same control on a different fifth wheel for 5 years and did not have this problem. It may be my imagination but it seems the brakes have a "loose" sound when backing up and the brakes are applied. Plan on taking mine back to the dealer later this week, will advise if anything is found. Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours has also done that since day one, almost two years and several thousand miles ago. My dealer, who has an excellent service department, told me it's nothing to worry about so I don't. I tried dropping voltage via the controller. That helped quite a bit on the noise but I think I prefer the stronger stopping power so turned it back up. We'll probably need to replace the shoes this next winter so will see if new linings make a difference. Meanwhile we just live with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
You guys can at least hear them frequency too high for these ears, and yes I can hear emergency vehicles. and at time don't hear the wife either. Har De Har.

TT2
Old 06-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here is how to adjust your trailer brakes

http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions...2020020062.pdf
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I took the trailer to the dealer today to find out something about the brakes. My dealer does not do brake work, they send it to a firm that specializes in brakes, axles and frame work. I did have a chance to discuss the problem with one of the techs, he indicated the brake drums probably need to be turned. He was very aware of this problem. I will know tomorrow what they find and will post for those interested. Our trailer has about 4,600 miles on it.
For what it is worth, the company doing the work had a Montana in the shop with axles that were aligned incorrectly...the unit only had 500 miles on it.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, ours screeched from day one. Now I wonder if there's something wrong with the drums. I guess I'm going to have to pull them off and check things out.

Thanks for the link to the document about setting boost. That's probably in the manual but I'd have to check. I use boost level 3 because of the weight of our Montana but that document makes it appear levels 2 and 3 are the same. Must be something missing.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Well I got the Montana back today, the screeching brake problem was corrected by turning all brake drums. It seems to brake smoother and it sure is nice to not have the noise.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Jim B,

All good suggestions. But you can get anti-sqeal compoound from most auto stores. For Alko, they recommend Lubriplate or similiar lubricant on the anchor pin and rest pad & backing plate (P-16 of Alko manual)

Normally when you replace car brakes you use some sort of Anti-sqeal compound. Check your local parts store and see what they recommend. Be careful not to get it on the lining. My bet is your screeching will stop.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
Montana_502
Established Member

M.O.C. #502
There is a recall on 2004 brakes that squeal check with your dealer. I am trying to find out if there is one for a 2003 but have not had any luck as yet.
hope this helps
Henry
Montana_502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:45 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, mine is not a typical brake squeal but a screeching. Sounds more like a noise coming from lining contacting drum. Hard to explain. But it's loud. If it were a high pitched squeal I wouldn't probably hear it although Vicki would.

Henry, if you find something for the 2003, let me know. I have an appt for 7/8 with our dealer to have the brakes checked and redone. He is a good dealer but didn't mention a recall when I told him about the screeching. I'll ask him to check on it though. Thanks for the headsup.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HENRY BOEVERS

There is a recall on 2004 brakes that squeal check with your dealer. I am trying to find out if there is one for a 2003 but have not had any luck as yet.
hope this helps
Henry

Henry Keep us posted on any info on the 2004 Recall on brakes. it might be helpfull to all of us.

TT2
Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
Jim B
Established Member

M.O.C. #1566
Thanks for all the info, I turned down the voltage by one volt this weekend and the screeching was less. However as others have said the braking was also less which I really don't care for. I will check with my dealer to see if they know of a recall on this brake problem. I have read the instruction with my brake contoller and did adjust it as per the instruction. I have towed 5th wheels since 1985 and this is the only one I have had screeching brakes on. By the way this is a 2004 2955RL and I tow it with a 2004 Dodge Dully with the Cummins engine.
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #15
Montana_1765

M.O.C. #1765
Ours screech all the time, and once they even shuddered to the point where the truck felt like it was running on the wake up strip. Took it to a nearby dealer and after 4 days in the shop we found out we were lucky to be alive! One of the brakes had totally fallen to pieces and had started to weld to the wheel while coming downhill into the town where the dealership was. After a whole new set of brakes, a new wheel and 4 days we finally hit the road with no noise and no shudder. Sadly, the noise came back within a few days. I guess its the nature of the beast.
Montana_1765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:02 AM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I hope this reply helps those with the break screeching/squealing problem. When I got my Montana I had some very minor squealing with the breaks. After setting over the 1st winter, my first trip out the squealing was so bad that I hated to even apply the brakes, squeal very loud, very annoying and embarrassing.

I read the owners manual and strings on our MOC web site and performed all the recommended fixes being pulling the wheels,lubing the backer plates and then re-adjusting the brakes. Did not fix the problem. I then took the unit to a truck/trailer repair garage (I have no close Montana dealer) and they adjusted the brakes - did not fix the problem. I then contacted the Axel company, explained my situation and they sent out new drums which the garage installed and that fixed the problem. So from what I am reading and from my experience, I believe the problem is contamination with the drums lining.You will either have to replace them our have them cut and resurfaced.

Regards,

S
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Scatter, I'm sure glad to hear you got yours more or less fixed without serious damage and without an accident.

Steves, thanks for the info. I figure ours will need to be turned, also, and that will likely fix it. My dealer is unaware of any recall but I may ask him to call Alko-Kober about it anyhow. We planned to have the brake work done this Thursday but that now will probably be the following week.