Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
screen door

The DW wants clear plastic put on the screen door. I am sure someone on the forum has done this mod.. Any suggestions on how to install would be great.. do you attach it to the outside or to the inside?
Thanks..
lfw

lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is one of many postings on this subject I found using the Search facility.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ms=screen,door

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Thanks Carl n Susan.. I did a search for screen door and did not find the one you sent me.. Thanks again..
lfw
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have used a cheap fix with regards to the door. We use a piece of mylar-type film that is available in the Walmart fabric area. Total cost for this project approaches $2 - $3 if you have a screen spline tool. I remove the door, lay it down on a flat working surface and remove the spline from around the screen, place the mylar over the screen and re-install the spline while pulling the mylar taut. Then I trim the excess mylar from around the spline. Takes about an hour to do a two panel door. The advantage to this method is there is no drilling, destruction, etc. required. Here is an inside and outside photo with the film applied on our previous rig:

Outside view:

Inside view:

Not recommending any particular method, just wanted all to know that there are alternatives available. I am sure there will be some others chime in who have done similar things with different methods and materials.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I installed clear plexiglass to the outside of our screen door. I first put self adhesive velcro from Lowes on the door and adhered the plexiglass to it. The velcro comes in a long coil. I cut it lengthwise so it was 1/2 the width before installing it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We did the same as Jim, about 4 years ago. I had the plexiglass cut into 3 pieces to my specs. They would only cut in rectangles so I had to notch one corner to work around the door handle. I also used velcro but had trouble with it not holding well when it got hot. Tried industrial strength velcro, also, but that wasn't much better. The velcro is still there but I've added screw on mirror clips in strategic locations and now it's staying in place as it should. We really like having the door open on those cool days, especially when the sun will help warm the inside of the rig, or even on hot days when not in the direct sunlight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We took ours to a friends glass shop. He did it for $85.00 , very pleased. Search topic Storm Door. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
We used plexiglass 0.11 thickness. What we did differently than others is that we made it into sliders (2 pieces in the top screen and two in the bottom). We fit one piece into the track that was already there and siliconed it in to make it the stationary side of the slide. We added an extra piece of track for the moving half of the slider. This way we can either have air circulation or keep it closed when it is chilly. We don't have to worry about finding a place to keep the plastic when we want to use the screens.

I hope I have explained this clearly.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I bought a piece of plexi glass at Lowes, and a unique plexi glass cutting tool they sell, cut my own to fit and used mirror hangers to hold in (installed on inside) we have sure enjoyed having the door open even when cool outside - kinda opens up the place some.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Our plexi is the thinest we could find to purchase. We cut with dremmels and such, have to say that was one stinky nasty job. EWWW. Enough that we hope we never have to do it again.

We had it attached with clips on the inside, till recently. Last fall we had to have the screen replaced and the fellow that did the job did a crappy job. We found the clips falling off more and more frequently, it became irritating.

So, we came up with a new game plan, and we are not guaranteeing that we did not make a huge tactical error. CountryGuy purchased some of that rope caulking, gray, flexible stuff. And, he used it on the inside to hold the plexi to the door frame. It took several layers in some spots, but, for the most part it is holding fine. The small piece in the middle of the door did blow totally out the other day during a super gusty weather event. It did not break so he just put it back in.

We love not picking up those clips and the door looks larger with out them.

Will it be the last fix?? Who knows. For now, we like it.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We put ours on the inside with Velcro 8 yrs. ago and it has worked fine.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Thanks everyone for the info.. just have to decide which way to go. I like the one that remhob posted .. remhob where did you get the other piece track that you added?
Thanks
lfw
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #13
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
We got it from an RV surplus shop when we were in Goshen, IN. I think it was actually a piece from day night shades.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by remhob

We used plexiglass 0.11 thickness. What we did differently than others is that we made it into sliders (2 pieces in the top screen and two in the bottom). We fit one piece into the track that was already there and siliconed it in to make it the stationary side of the slide. We added an extra piece of track for the moving half of the slider. This way we can either have air circulation or keep it closed when it is chilly. We don't have to worry about finding a place to keep the plastic when we want to use the screens.

I hope I have explained this clearly.
That's a great idea. I like that. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Our plexi is the thinest we could find to purchase. We cut with dremmels and such, have to say that was one stinky nasty job. EWWW. Enough that we hope we never have to do it again.

We had it attached with clips on the inside, till recently. Last fall we had to have the screen replaced and the fellow that did the job did a crappy job. We found the clips falling off more and more frequently, it became irritating.

So, we came up with a new game plan, and we are not guaranteeing that we did not make a huge tactical error. CountryGuy purchased some of that rope caulking, gray, flexible stuff. And, he used it on the inside to hold the plexi to the door frame. It took several layers in some spots, but, for the most part it is holding fine. The small piece in the middle of the door did blow totally out the other day during a super gusty weather event. It did not break so he just put it back in.

We love not picking up those clips and the door looks larger with out them.

Will it be the last fix?? Who knows. For now, we like it.
Carol, if the rope caulk doesn't hold you might consider museum putty. That putty is amazing. You can draw it out into ropes like the rope caulk. And it's still removable.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While staying at Olde Mill Stream with some of the MOC members, John Kohl and I (mainly John) put plexi on the screendoor. We bought a full sheet of plexi at Lowes and had the dimensions for the top and bottom sections. We had Lowes cut the plexi and I kept the balance for future use somewhere!!lol The lower section included the middle section by the slider. We put it on the outside of the door using double face tape and velcro. We cut the 3/4" wide velcro and used it on sections where the 3/4"would not work. Looks and works great!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote