Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
emonnie
Established Member

M.O.C. #11743
TV system?

Just bought a Montana HC 343RL. under the TV is a cable connecting a cable/sattelite terminal forming a half circle. When I connect to Com-Cast for the winter I must use their set top box which will fit in this shelf under the TV. What is the purpose of this horseshoe connector? I think I will need to drill another hole from the shelf to the cable inlet behind the TV to get it connected. Anyone have this set-up?
Thanks,
Ed

emonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We do...not sure you need to drill any holes. If COMCAST is not doing the setup for you, they have a pretty easy to follow guide to get the box setup.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The purpose of the loop is to provide a place to splice for a cable box, satellite receiver or whatever else you have that needs to put a signal on the coax. The problem is knowing which of the dual coax plugs at each base of the loop is the input or the output. Use an RG6 cable to connect from the input of the cable box (cable) to one of the coax connections, then use another RG6 cable to connect the output (TV) of the cable box to connect to the other coax cable. If you get no picture, swap them. When you find it works, label the coax jacks so you'll know in the future.

I used 6' RG6 cables for the connections. In my rig the "jumper" was too short and it was not RG6 so I don't even use it. I have since removed it and left the cables in place with quick connect adapters and connect them together with a barrel adapter so that the loop is just a lot longer, but easier to tap into for next time.

There should already be an external coax adapter to allow you to run a coax wire to a cable service, but this has be be provided by the campground. The purpose of the cable box is to decode any scrambled signals. Many of us use this external adapter for the coax from our satellite dish, then using the loop, we connect the satellite receiver which decodes the incoming satellite signals so we can watch them.

I hope this helps. If you are still confused, do NOT hesitate to ask more questions. This can be tricky to understand but once you do, it will make lots of sense and help you debug things when a problem occurs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
John Kohl provided a drawing of the cable wiring for the Montana's. I can't find it right now but will continue looking. Perhaps he will be along shortly and provide it to this forum AGAIN. I don't remember exactly how it works but on mine, with cable hooked into my outside jack, with the looping cable in place from cable to satelite, I get CATV through out the rig. If I had a com cast box I would just place it between the cable from the wall and each television set. (Without that looping cord I get no cable to either TV) Jim
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
OK I found it. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...wiring,diagram
Hope this helps. Jim