Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Keeping safe in a park

I had lunch with a snowbird friend who has a park model in the Phoenix area. He said the park had a rash of theft this winter. No break-ins, didn't need to. People had left their doors unlocked overnight and the thieves walked in, while everyone was sleeping, and helped themselves to whatever cash they could find. Hit 40 units in 1 night. Took only cash, not credit cards or items that could be traced. There wouldn't be enough security to keep this from happening. The thief could just duck down and wait a minute or two for the patrol to pass.

The police told the people to lock their doors and use the air conditioner! Don't leave your doors unlocked, even when you are around.

Be safe out there1

Judi

johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is really no way to prevent that kind of theft other than taking the proper precautions. In these economic conditions that kind of theft increases. We keep lights on and the TV running when away. Doors locked of course. We did not have that problem in our Florida park this winter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think running the TV is a good idea. We do lock doors at night and when we're away from the rv park but having a TV going would be helpful.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We do lock doors at night, and of course out dog "Montana" hears everything. And he sleeps at the top step. And for sure there is a loaded weapon within reach. And if your in the bedroom there is no logical way to escape. So be aware. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We lock our doors at night, and our "alarm" is a 5 lb Chihuahua that likes to wake up everybody when someone comes in the door. But give the "alarm" a doggy bone and he'll show anyone the cabinets where we keep stuff. Oh well.

That's why I like to camp farther from big towns whenever possible. The odds of riff-raff seem to be less that way, but we must be careful any place.

Keep safe, all.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
I think the thieves have found a new market to obtain their ill gotten treasures and sell for little or nothing!
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just started another thread on a similar topic. Rich is absolutely correct. Lock everything, do the best you can to keep everything under lock, and - most importantly - have good insurance... BIL just had has 25 HP Johnson taken off the back of his fishing boat last night in a CG just north of here. He was sleeping in his Class C less than 7 ft away. He had put the boat right next to his motorhome on purpose to thwart thieves. Didn't work...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When I had a small fishing boat I chained the motor on and padlocked it. But I guess if they wanted it bad enough that wouldn't stop them. The last "fishing boat" before selling it to start fulltiming had a 200 hp Mercury outboard. Nobody's going to unbolt that and carry it off in a few minutes. But, leave it in a storage area with no protection and I'm sure they'd find a way.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What caught Jim (BIL) psychologically was that each of the two previous nights, fishing poles and tackle had been taken from that CG. Jim pulled all his fishing gear inside and never thought about the motor based on the previous episodes. He was worried about someone taking the whole boat.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Luckily we have had no problems here at the park we are in...we did have a homeless person found in the park a night ago. We have also had some people who have lived in there tents for about 3 weeks who were out of work and looking for jobs. There has also been a high increase of rv'ers who are workcamping in the park. Usually you do not see them workcamping in a state park b/c of the time limit to camp...but this year the park manager seems to be making the exception and letting them stay.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I chain our bikes to the landing gear...also have a concealed carry permit.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote