Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Battery Function

I recently had some service (warranty) work done on our 2007 3400RL. The dealer had it for almost two months. They obviously did not have the rig connected to a power source during that time, as when I got the trailer home the battery was almost dead. In fact, I could not even get the front jacks to work without having the trailer electrically connected to the truck. I know there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this list, especially regarding the electrical functions. My question is: if the battery goes completely dead, will the slides and jacks function off of the truck? Could the battery be completely removed and the jacks and slides still be operational? What if you were boondocking somewhere and the battery went dead - could you still close up the trailer and limp home?

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Your aren't going to like my answer, but that is what the manual cranks are for, in case there is a loss of operating power.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I don't believe the slides will work with a dead battery hooked to the truck. I had my battery fail in the driveway with the slides open and they would not close even hooked to the truck. I had to use my jumper box hooked to the battery to close them. I think the jacks will work though. You do need to leave the battery in as it completes the 12 volt circuit.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We had a batt dead and were unable to lift the trailer off the truck with the trailer pluged into the truck SO had the car w/jumpers to the trailer Batt and it lifted the trailer.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The wiring from the truck batteries to the socket may not be heavy (large) enough to carry the amperage to work the slide motor. It probably would blow the fuse in the truck.
My comment was also there is always the manual crank. So with that thought know where the cranks are and how to use them.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have had a half dead battery (not strong enough to power the slides alone) but when hooked to the truck, or plugged into AC power, work fine.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sitting there and idling for 30 minutes may give enough of a boost to get the slides closed.

Me, I'm just going to power up the Onan and see if it will close with electricity hooked up.

When storing for long periods of time, or in your case at the dealer for a few months, it would be prudent to use the battery disconnect switch. One, batteries would not drain. Two, keeping a charge on the battery could deplete some, if not all, fluid in the battery and cause other problems with the battery.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On your 07 3400, both the slide motor and landing gear motor are powered directly from the battery (before the master switch and in front of the converter). As some folks have said above, they will operate from the truck when plugged in, but if the RV batteries are completely dead or unhooked, you will probably blow the 30A or 40A fuse on the truck. It really needs a little reserve in the RV batteries to act as a buffer.

My Onan is tied to the same place as my jacks and slides Wayne - if they don't work, that Onan ain't startin either.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
How long should I expect the OEM battery to last?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
Another reason for the battery disconnect switch is that there are "sneak drains" in your rig no matter what it is. the various sensors, such as the LP gas sensor, pull a small but steady amount of current and will eventually drain even a fully charged battery over time. Just my two cents worth......
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote