Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #21
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I can only tell you from my experience on my 2001 F250 PSD, I installed Superchips in tow mode, great horse power can really feel it, better mileage by about 3 MPG. Also had 3 transmissions installed under warranty each time as I took the programmer out each time, third time left it out. Each time tranny gave issues was while towing our then 3685FL Montana. After third time never out it back in and never had issues again, but soon after that I traded for the 2005 F350 I have now. This thing has enough power and torque to do anything I need it too, even pulling our know heavier than Montana SOB. Also went to 1 ton, never will go back to 3/4 ton to pull with, makes huge difference at least with the Ford in suspension and no drop when hooked up and handles better. Just my experiences with tuners.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #22
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Don't know diddly about these add ons or other brand performance but the 2008 Chevy 3500 D/A 4X4 DRW has all the power and towing capability that we need or want for that matter. It hauls our Big Sky 340 RLQ like a dream and can easily handle our 1997 Travel Supreme as well.

We,too, own ours outright but never have even considered a performance enhancer. The "On Star" monthly vehicle report would most certainly reveal any modifications we might make. This new, to us, version of the Duramax and Allison six speed tranny is all we hoped it would be and we like having the warranty.

John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Just one thing to you guys that are so sure the Big 3 can detect a programmer was installed. All programmers are not the same. Some do not require loading and unloading any software to the ECM. Now, it has been known for some dealers to try to detect these programmers by putting a seal on connectors that are used to plug these in. One more time, I have never ran a programmer, probably never will, but I simply do not believe all programmers leave "footprints" in the ECM. JMHO.

BTW Brad, I enjoyed that post you made.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #24
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Hey John who gets that "on star" report? GM or who? and monthly? thats pretty darn niffty! So they would know everything about your truck ? They got cameras in there to ? So what is a monthly report do for you? they tell you when to change the oil? any problems that may occur? I know about chips, modules, gear ratios, and so forth but I dont know diddly about monthly reports. I still have to keep written records on my truck when I change oil, filters and all. of course mine is just an old 99. got a whopping 94,000 miles on the 7.3, still hangs in there pretty well. I was just wondering about them reports. Sounds like you really have a HOTROD truck there right from the factory. Thanks John
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I have a fueling box, boost fooler, big exhaust on my truck and from what I can tell the mileage stayed about the same. Passing time and pulling up hills was greatly improved. A built tranny and bigger injectors are on my to do list. I did wait until the warranty was up before I did anything to the truck.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #26
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well Glenn has done his usual job and stirred the stuff that comes out of black tanks, but does make for interesting reading of how some people have such strong beliefs in this or that. I think I will just stay stock and if I need a truck to pull a tree out of the ground I will just go get a Class 8 and be done with it. If you have the money and love to tinker power to you - what is it they say about men and their toys? I think I will use that extra money to fund some more camping trips. That is if my stock D/A has enough power to get me there.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #27
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Tom41,
Oil life, tire pressures, just to name two. Doesn't replace checking for yourself but is sure a handy way to keep informed about your truck. Has a cost, what doesn't?

This new truck has appreciably more power than my 2004, but that could be because the 2004 was a dud. Power curve is remarkable in comparison and tach says it does it at 300-500 RPM lower than the older D/A. Hopefully that will translate to more economical use. We shall see.

Best...John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I am no expert on the subject of chips and programmers and do not intend to be as we have no intention of programming, chipping, or deleting anything on my shinny new truck so I must rely on those folks who are certified experts. We are told the programmers can be detected as they "reprogram" the on board chip and a trace of that reprogramming will remain. I don't know if the term programmer and chipping as folks use them are the same or different. I will one day when we get home become educated via a experts on the subject. Meanwhile the entire subject is of little interest to me otherr that interesting reading because we are changing nothing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #29
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It seem to me in reading this thread (and simailar one's) that those members that are agains the programers & chips, are also those that have own the newer trucks that already have the extra HP that those of us with old truck are looking for. If I could justify a new truck I probaly would not need to add to the HP either.
That said I hope I don't suffer that fate that some of you are predicting, I try to keep my foot out of it but it is nice to know it will go when I want it to.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #30
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Some vote Democrate and some Republican. If you don't use it. Why knock what somebody else does. They pay the way for what they do. SO relax your minds and find something else to worry about.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #31
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Well I am no expert on the subject of chips and programmers and do not intend to be as we have no intention of programming, chipping, or deleting anything on my shinny new truck so I must rely on those folks who are certified experts. We are told the programmers can be detected as they "reprogram" the on board chip and a trace of that reprogramming will remain. I don't know if the term programmer and chipping as folks use them are the same or different. I will one day when we get home become educated via a experts on the subject. Meanwhile the entire subject is of little interest to me otherr that interesting reading because we are changing nothing.
Rich, I don't know where the "chip" terminology comes from, except perhaps back in the day when you could change the EPROM on the ECM. I do believe everyone is talking about the same thing though. From what I know, the ones that reprogram the ECM do so through the OBDII port. There is however one, and possibly more that merely plug in the harness under the hood. I think they refer to the latter as "liar boxes" as they intercept signals to and from the ECM and change them to enhance performance.

I would not be at all surprised that if you went to a different dealer with severe engine problems, and had the EGT gauge, they will try to say you had run a programmer. We all know the Big 3 are not known for generosity, and if possible they will try to hit you for at least part of the repair bill. That is what I meant by my "BS" comment earlier in this thread. JMHO.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #32
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
gitrdun, you hit it right on the money!! LOL, Like I was sitting in walmart (waiting on DW) a gentleman sat down next to me and started talking politics! lawd gawd I thought. this is in fla and the old fellow said he just voted, ask if I had, nope I vote in tn. He said you Democrate or Repulican? I thought for a second cause I sure didnt wantta get into this type of conversation (be worst then chips & programmers LOL) I said well sir, I am American first, then I pick the person I think could lead My country and that sure is a hard job to do. End of conversation! this may be off topic, but......hehe
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

Oh Yes..As I posted before when the Ford dealer saw my guage they went into interrogation mode. However the Ford warranty says no "performance enhancing devices".And once I convinced them it was just a guage and a monitor device they were ok.As for the chip termonology I go back far enough in Electronics to have used the term and we burned many a EPROM. Again I am a amature but all the programers that I know of program through the OBDII port and will therefore leave a foot prints on the ECM. Like this computer I can delete a file but it is still lurking on the hard drive and I can get it back.The only way to dest oy all trace is to wipe the hand drive.

We have nothing against programmers ..it is your truck and your money and in regard to towing some of the older trucks could use the extra power.If I have this truck long enough to be out of all warranties..who knows..
Old 02-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #34
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Well , since I have, in the past used a "module",I can shed a little light on this debate.........as was said a "programmer" attatches to the OBDII port and downloads a program onto the ECM , therefore stuck on the harddrive , weather or not that is permenant or not I can't say for sure but I think it is , JMO.........Now a "module" is just a small box(electronic) that attatches to a wiring harness and that harness then is attatched to the sensors on the engine under the hood.......you just unplug the sensor and plug the harness into that sensor and attatch the wire you unplugged to another spot on the harness.....I think the sensors are : fuel pressure, oxygen sensor ,and boost sensor............anyway....the "module" can be removed from the truck and all sensors plugged back in the way they were , and all is stock again..........without any damage, there would not be a way to tell it was even there.............so, in review , yes they are two different things.
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #35
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, check this link; http://www.edgeproducts.com/
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..Nice source of information....being a computer Geek this would be of concern to me ..... "The Juice plugs into the truck’s factory connections in a matter of minutes and communicates directly with the engine’s ECM." These 2 modules are talking to one another and when there is a transfer of data between 2 computers it is normally retrievable..Don't know if either of these modules have the level of sophistication for the data transfer to be retrievable. I would think that they would not spend the money for it not to be..Would require a bit more information on how these modules communicate and store data.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #37
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Sounds like you folks have made up your mind to disagree with anyone that does not see it your way, so why start this thread in the first place. Looks like a war of words going on.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jim..That is not True at all. It may be the other way around..someone has it or wants it and will not listen to anyone about anything. We learn on this forum by a exchange of information and knowledge. A very interesting subject was brought up and many are in a search for the truth..No matter what it may be...
Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #39
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
6.7 CTD

Just wanted to ask how you like your new 3500 6.7 CTD? What type of fuel mileage are you getting? Nice looking rig!
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #40
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Truth according to whom?
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote