Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill DeMeulle

I just bought one at Cosco for $79.00 and have not installed it yet. I pulled the cover off of the rear trailer tail lights and could not figure out which wires were for back-up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bill
I would be interested in the quality that you find. Please post when you have it installed and let us know how it is. Thanks.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 AM   #22
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Keystone is charging $1035.00 for the wireless back-up camera. It might be worth spending another $300.00 to have it installed at the factory. The new underbelly is a one piece unit and not sure if one side could be lowered down without causing the underbelly to rip through the remaining screws.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It sure looks like that is the 719.00 voyger system at rvcams. It looked identical to me..BUT???? . I would guess that the system that Montana installs goes through the camper and not into the underbelly. With a 30% off sticker that would bring the price in line??? So the new underbelly is a one piece unit.....so much for not sealing the underbelly because it needs to breathe. I sealed mine everywhere I could and it still is like a piece of swiss cheese. Wonder what the rational is now?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #24
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Rich, since you have installed a camera in your Monty, what would you do if you were getting a new rig. Would you use the wired unit (most economical), the semi wireless, or have the factory install a unit? I am less concerned about wiring the Monty than trying to get wires in the truck.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #25
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Do the monitors on these show images like you were standing at the back facing backwards or are they reversed (mirror image) like you would expect to see in your rearview mirrors?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don, it's pretty easy to get the wires into the truck. I would go with a wired system, Murphy's law and all...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Somewhere I saw some pictures of the truck hardwire job Mudchief did and it was quite impressive. It believe it had a heavy duty recoiling cord from the pinbox.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. Think I would get the hard wired unit that I now have and install it the way I wanted to. I would have no idea how Montana ran the wires through the camper or if they were even wired the same in any 10 units. Getting the wiring into the truck is not a problem at all.The Ford has got rubber plugs all over the place.. Did not have to drill a hole. I think the OEM cam is a good option but the install is something I would rather do myself. IMO the voyger system is over priced to start with. The images are not reversed. Go to www.rvcams.com and look at the voyger semi wireless system then the 56CHNV system then check out the price difference. 719.00 vs 349.00
Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #29
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Waynem, here is the make and model of my backup camera system. made by Vision Tech America, breand is "BOYO" and model # is VTC460R. I bought at a local shop that installs stereos,remote starts,etc:, paid under $100 for system and installed myself.The camera mounts on the License plate and the screen snaps onto your rearview mirror and also is your mirror when off. If your unit has backup lights that work you just tap into the backup light wire at the rear of trailer and rhe screen hooks into the reverse wire under your dash. I believe the reverse wire on my SD f250 was black/green stripe, but I would confirm that with a test light first.It also has a second connection at the screen for a second camera, that you could use on your truck somewhere.I hope this helps.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #30
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
RV Cams has a heavy duty trailer disconnect kit for $259 and a camera kit for $599 for a total of $858. The semi wireless camera is $719 and the truck doesn't require wiring. I would sure like to know if the semi wireless works as good as the wired type.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have been using the regular wireing kit for the 56CHNV for nearly two years now with many, many connects and disconnects between truck and camper and have not yet had a problem of any kind.The heavy duty trailer disconnect kit is sort of pricy but if I ever have a problem with my set up I will probably go with it or something like it. With the regular kit you just snap a male and female connector together. It has withstood all elements thus far.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks for th info Racerjoe.

As to the rubber plug holes, don't remove the rubber plug. Make a small cross sectional slit and push your wire up through it. Once everything is in place you can RTV or silicone the hole around the cable for a nice air tight fit.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #33
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
For those still intrested in the new cameras on the 08 models. The picture quality was excellent but the mounting of the camera was a little to be desired. Keystone mounted it on the upper slope of the rear shell instead of on the flat portion. It provided a great picture of the license plate and about 2 feet of road. I had to flip the mounting bracket and elongate the mounting slots to get enough adjustment for a better viewing angle. At least there was no break up in the video signal.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote