Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I got my diesel at FJ at Edinburgh and it looked like Ice tea color. When put in a jug you will find a fine grit in the bottom that looks like Cinnamon or something like that. That is what is eating up the pumps. Also with the water that we get any where you have the chance of algae. It looks like a tar like gunk. When I got home last spring I changed the spin on fuel filter and it also had the grit in it.It only had 5k miles on it.Good diesel should be close to clear with a blue-green tint in it. I have a neighbor that works in the field on Cat products and he says good diesel is hard to fine anywhere. It,s all crap now days. This diesel that I am talking about is in the Valley. When we came home I finally got good diesel at Big Cabin OK.
Here in IA we use soy-beans and yes anything with oil could be used. We had a guy using cooking oil from FF restaurants until the state stopped him. He was not paying road tax.

hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Most of the diesel [not counting bio-diesel] is clean coming out of the refineries, it is the dirty storage tanks and transport vessel that have the drit.
As far as live growth it is going to happen in any diesel that is in storage unles it has bio-bor [brand name] witch kills the bacterial growth but unfortunately it is also very hard on seals and orings.
Dirt is why I try to buy deisel at places that have a date that the filters where changed if they are good filters they have coalesceing qualities witch will not allow water to pass. As I stated before our engines do not run on dirt or water.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #23
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
On my way back from TX in April my fuel pump went out in my 01 Dodge. I was fortunate to be in a town in north east TX that had a Dodge dealership with a real diesel machanic. They had to pull my fuel tank which I had just filled. They drained the fuel into a 55 gal plastic drum. He said my tank was the cleanest he had ever seen. No dirty fuel or sediment on the tank bottom. I am the origanal owner. I am particular where I buy fuel. I also have the Fass duel fuel and oil filtration systems to keep all fuel and oil clean.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

I got my diesel at FJ at Edinburgh and it looked like Ice tea color. When put in a jug you will find a fine grit in the bottom that looks like Cinnamon or something like that. That is what is eating up the pumps. Also with the water that we get any where you have the chance of algae. It looks like a tar like gunk. When I got home last spring I changed the spin on fuel filter and it also had the grit in it.It only had 5k miles on it.Good diesel should be close to clear with a blue-green tint in it. I have a neighbor that works in the field on Cat products and he says good diesel is hard to fine anywhere. It,s all crap now days. This diesel that I am talking about is in the Valley. When we came home I finally got good diesel at Big Cabin OK.

Here in IA we use soy-beans and yes anything with oil could be used. We had a guy using cooking oil from FF restaurants until the state stopped him. He was not paying road tax.
Yep, you got to report and pay those taxes. There are quite a few running the used cooking oil now (straight and convert to bio). If I still had the '82 I might run it. There is a guy in Sunset, LA that has an additive he claims makes the oil where you can run it in modern diesels. Diesel will have to get a lot higher for me to try that.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #25
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
No ex-permitting on my truck. Yes as stated by Mel you do need GOOD filters and watch where you by diesel. My filter is install before any pumps. I loss the rail pump on the Ford. When I took it into the Ford dealer they know exactly what was wrong and installed a gas fuel filter BEFORE the rail pump. I then replaced it with a better filtering system. This was not a new problem as they install filters when ever the replace the pump and when the truck starts running bad,on goes a new filter.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being new to Diesel maintenance what I am reading here is that Diesel fuel is more apt to be bad(dirty, water) than good and a spare fuel filter is a good idea. I do buy my fuel at so called name brand stations but it appears that fuel can come from anywhere go into any tank and the station tanks thenselves are most usually the problem. Well I can not even find a fuel filter for my shiny new 08 6.4L..not even at my friendly Ford Dealer and I went from a perfectly good V-10 to a diesel that you need to chase after like a 2 year old in a china shop..This just gets better and better.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #27
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Yes Rich do have a extra filter with you. Buy your diesel at a busy truck stop to insure fresh diesel and drive the truck like you stole it. You have a long ways to go before it is broken in.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I stopped at the walmart station yesterday, the one I thought might be carrying biodiesel. I talked with the manager who said the "contains ethanol" applies only to the gasoline, not the diesel. When I pointed out the sticker is next to the diesel hose, not the gasoline hose, she replied their instructions is the sticker goes on the left side of the pump. Guess which side is diesel, of course. So, I am not running biodiesel. And I'll continue using that station so long as they remain 24 cents per gallon less than anyone else in the area. They're currently at 3.059.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #29
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich, I have been driving diesels for years and have never had a problem. The filters on the new trucks are about 5 microns instead of the standard 10 microns. They are trying to protect the pump and injectors better. However that comes with a cost. I use to never carry a spare filter but now I won't leave home without one. Like others have said, buy from good locations and just drive the fire out of it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nor have I on the busses.. I poured some ULSD in a glass container yesterday when re fueling and checked it out.. It was clean and no sediment settled over night..However..as soon as I can find a fuel filter for thre 6.4L I will buy a spare for cross country travel.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Having logged more than 120,000 miles between my two Duramax diesels, I have never carried an extra fuel filter. I have the filters changed every 10,000 miles and always try to use high volume diesel fuel stations when it is time to refuel.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I've never carried nor needed a spare fuel filter. Yes, you can get bad fuel but the odds are you'll never have enough of that to clog your filter. Just remember to have the fuel filter changed at approximately the mileage (probably 15,000) it says in the manual.

It also wouldn't hurt to familiarize yourself with how to drain water out of the fuel filter. It's not difficult, just messy. You may never need to do that but if that water in fuel light comes on on a holiday and miles from a dealer you'll be glad you know how to do it. Again, you may never need to drain it if you change the filters per the schedule.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This Ford has 2 fuel filters and I did educated myself on how to drain the water out of one of them. It now appears that the dirty or clogged fuel filter issue is more one of over reaction and old wives tales of things that happened years ago and are passed down generation to generation..By the feed back on this forum and a couple of others on the modern day fuel and filters it does not appear to be a "significant" problem. Had a chat with the local Ford techs at my dealer as well as my next door neighbor who is a tech at a local GM dealer.Clogged fuel filters are rare and most are a result of poor maint by the user.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #34
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm one that carries a spare filter. I had one left when GM changed the design of the Duramax filter, so I just wrapped in some of that press and seal plastic and put it in the tool box. Never needed it, hope I never do, but it is sort of a easing thought knowing it is there. I may not have ever bought a spare if they hadn't made the change.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #35
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I don't know about Ford or Dodge but GM uses a 5 micron filter. They used to use a 10 micron. If the fuel pressure on the rail drops slightly the computer will put the engine in what is caused a limp mode. It is to protect the engine from being damaged. When in this mode your truck will run good just won't go over 2K in RPM. I have had this happen to me and that is why I carry a spare.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #36
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ever notice on the side of the road, a spot of diesel and a couple of fuel filters that some ahole just left there? My bet is they were not doing routine maintenance. I have always carried spare filters. I hear guys say they will call road service to do it. I don't fell like sitting on the side waiting.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #37
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A spare filter can be a life saver.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #38
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
When my neighbor had his Ford oil changed in the Vally he inquired what happens to the old oil and was informed that they mix it with diesel fuel. Dilute it down to a few gallons to 5000 get rid of the oil but contaminates the diesel fuel. Yes most stations do have good fuel and do maintain there filters and I have heard that the Dura-max filters are 5 microns but the Ford did not . They probably do now though but mine is a 2000 and it had NO filter until the one on top of the motor and after the rail pump. Now with the one I installed BEFORE the pump and 5 microns there is dirt in the filter and not the pump. This shows me that the filter is doing its job. Algae again is another subject and you see it in marine a lot more the trucks but it's still there.