Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Montana Larry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7319
Tow Vehicle Advice

Hi,

My name is Larry,this is my first post, my wife Susan and I are the proud new owners of Montana 3400RL. I work 150 miles from homes so I stay in the Montana 4-5 nights a week but want to start towing the coach in a year or two.

I've pretty much narrowed my truck search to a Duramax with an Allison but am soliciting opinions/suggestions on the size of my tow vehicle. Is a 2500HD big enough or should I go 3500 dually? The unit 11,800 empty and 16,000 fully loaded. I drove truck 23 years ago so I am not afraid of the size of the vehicle or my capabilities but as an old trucker I do believe overkill can be good thing. On the other hand I can surely get more day to day utility out of a "non-dually". What do you thik out there?

Also what hitch is the best way to go? I was thinking air ride but don't know the manufacturers or quality I should be looking for.

Thanks,

Larry

Montana Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Larry,
Welcome to the forum, you may want to read many of the posts under the Tow Vehicles and Towing part of the forum. There have been many discussions pro and con that you may want to use as your starting point.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I would go with the bigger Truck. It is better to have too much rather than not enough.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al always tells me

"Ya can never have too much truck"

as far as a air hitch, we would have one, if we knew then what we know now!!

But, as advised, read the many many many prior posts on this subject and let it be known, this question surely raises a lot of blood pressure every time it comes up.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Larry, My advise would be to look at the weight figures for the TV and buy the appropriate TV for the weight of your 3400RL. Personally, from the people I have talked to on the road for the last 3 yrs a 3500 diesel would be the minimum. SRW would be sufficient for stability. I have never had a problem with stability and we have traveled in some pretty good winds. Once in TX I knew the wind was blowing, but didn't know how much until we stopped at a wayside and the wind almost ripped the door out my grasp. I choose a SRW because we couldn't afford to widen the garage door to accomodate DRW. I haven't found anyone yet who gets better mpg than I do with my diesel nor have I ever had a problem with diesel availability.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I suggest go for the 3500 DRW, crew cab, 4x4, with the Duramax and Allison as you mentioned. You just never know when you may want to trade that 3400RL in on something bigger/heavier.

I have been very happy with my Pullrite hitch. I suggest looking at the 20.5k Super 5th. Great hitch made by a great company.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Hi Larry.

I would do everything possible to observe the weight restrictions of your TV. Being an old trucker I'm sure you know those restrictions exist for a reason. Can you imagine an airline pilot regularly exceeding the weight restrictions of an aircraft by 10 to 20% and declaring that not to be a problem because he is comfortable with it, it works for me? I'd not want to fly with him or her.

I was very hesitant, in fact hated to go dually but once you get used to it it's not nearly as inconvenient as one would imagine. I don't do drive throughs anymore but I find the walk a nice change anyway. You park a little further away from the main door but you get use to that too. I also have peace of mind when towing. You will love your 3400.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Every truck has a set of manufacturers specifications. The spec that most folks do not understand or completely ignore is PIN WEIGHT. That is the amount of weight on the rear axle of the truck...as a one time trucker I am sure you are aware of that. I would be considered a member of the "weight police" although "specification conscious" would be a better description.There are folks who believe that those specs mean nothing and are apparently there for no reason and there are folks like myself who believe that they are well thought out engineering spec's indicating peramaters that the vehicle can be safely operated within.I would only suggest that you examine the spec's of the truck of your choice and determine if the truck is within spec's to carry your 3400.You can not be forced to stay within those spec's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Montana Larry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7319
WOW! Thanks to all of you for your responses!!! That was quick. Funny thing is after I made this post (it was moved to the towing section by the site admin.) I found another post in th T/V section asking the same thing with the same about the same coach with an owner in the same situation as I'm in. I can see the Montana world just got a bit smaller for me. I think I'm going to like it here.

Thanks Again To All,

Larry
Montana Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Larry,
Keep posting questions and you will soon learn that this is the most informative forum on the web with regards to any Montana unit. I have only been here for about six months and am actually starting to feel comfortable with the "inner" and "outer" workings of our 3400 because of the "real world" experts that regularly monitor this forum. You made a great choice in Montana, (DW and I absolutely love ours), even with the little problems that seem to pop up. Those little problems are where this forum becomes an invaluable asset to us.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 AM   #11
Grumpy
Established Member

M.O.C. #5963
Larry: Before ordering my 2500 HD D/A, I had an opportunity to have lunch with 2 GM engineers while on a business trip. The meeting was arranged by my dealer here in Houston. I had printed several comments from different people on here. The two engineers got a chuckle out of some of the posts.

I wanted a short bed, and was assured that the only difference between my 2500 with the suspension options I ordered and a 3500 was the "3" on the side of the truck.

I have the same motor, rear end, suspension etc as the 3500.

I tow a new 3500RL. I did put Firestone air bags on the TV, but only run 5 lbs. in them as they are not needed with the extra suspension that I have.

I have to agree with Glenn's statement, "BULL". Those that have the 3500 have them for their own reasons and comfort level and those of us that opted for the 2500 have ours for the same reasons, we feel comfortable with them.

Like Glenn, I'll not argue the point. Our "weight police" do that often enough on here.

I do highly recommend the Super Glyde hitch.

Grumpy
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Grumpy

I wanted a short bed, and was assured that the only difference between my 2500 with the suspension options I ordered and a 3500 was the "3" on the side of the truck. I have the same motor, rear end, suspension etc as the 3500.
Oh my gosh Grumpy - through your inside connections to GM, we have actually uncovered a huge crime - GM is actually charging folks more money for the same truck through a GVWR scam. As it turns out there is absolutely no difference in the trucks other than 3". Did they also mention there is really no such thing as "premium unleaded"?

I think the real reason they were chuckling is because you were buying their lunch and out of the 12,000 Engineers that work for GM, they design the arc on the windshield wiper blades.

JMHO - but then of course you won't argue the point (rather you prefer just to post the "last word" maybe?)

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #13
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Grumpy, did they also share a chuckle when you discussed vehicle specifications with them? Guess they probably said they have to write something down for restrictions but just go ahead and load her up until you feel comfortable. Weight restrictions aren't just drawn out of thin air, they have value and they are there for among other reasons, safety of not only you and your family but the others you share the road with.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Larry

Hi,

My name is Larry,this is my first post, my wife Susan and I are the proud new owners of Montana 3400RL. I work 150 miles from homes so I stay in the Montana 4-5 nights a week but want to start towing the coach in a year or two.

I've pretty much narrowed my truck search to a Duramax with an Allison but am soliciting opinions/suggestions on the size of my tow vehicle. Is a 2500HD big enough or should I go 3500 dually? The unit 11,800 empty and 16,000 fully loaded. I drove truck 23 years ago so I am not afraid of the size of the vehicle or my capabilities but as an old trucker I do believe overkill can be good thing. On the other hand I can surely get more day to day utility out of a "non-dually". What do you thik out there?

Also what hitch is the best way to go? I was thinking air ride but don't know the manufacturers or quality I should be looking for.

Thanks,

Larry
First I think the term "weight police" should not be used [or banned as equal to any other inflammatory term] and, it implies an opposing side, "weight criminal". There are those that are comfortable towing with vehicles on each side of the design parameters which should not impact your decision. You will have to determine what you're comfortable with. Do the math first then decide what you are willing to live with.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
" Just load the wagon and don't worry about the mule going blind "
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Larry

Hi,

Thanks,

Larry
Well, you can see what I have in my signature. I am towing less weight than you will be. I have no problems with what I have, but it's a large investment, and if I had it to do over, I would go with the 3500 DRW. Just my opinion.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
RE: 250 vs 350 Single Rear Wheels..., duallies a completely different argument...

As I think most everyone here agrees, 2500HD/250 vs 3500/350 is mechanically insignificant. An extra spring, a badge. Slightly lower ride height, maybe a bit more sag in the rear when loaded up. Nothing to worry about and if preferred, adding a spring, airbag, etc, to level the ride is an easy option.

For me, I have only ever owned 1 ton pickups. Why? I want the factory sticker to exceed my weight capacities. It is a personal preference. In the event that we should ever have an accident, I do not want a sticker on the door panel to be a discussion point for insurance, fault assessment, or any court argument. Hopefully I will never be in that position in the first place, but if I ever am, in black and white, my weights are well within the truck builders spec ratings, no question or explaination needed.

The truck cost 3/4 vs 1 ton is insignificant. In our state, maybe others as well, it is the insurance costs that really impact the decision. Over 10K GVWR requires a commercial policy. Each year we pay about a $500 premium for the 350 vs an identical 250. I don't like it, but have for over 25 years paid the penality for my own peace of mind. I can fully understand both sides of the argument on this. My brother has always opted for the lower cost 3/4 ton which he is comfortable with and that is great. I don't buy the mechanical argument between the 3/4 vs 1 ton, they are basically the same truck.

I have always said, I buy the 1 ton for the added insurance and peace of mind, not for the added spring.
Do what you personally feel comfortable with, keep it well maintained, drive safe and enjoy...

tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I suggest go for the 3500 DRW, crew cab, 4x4, with the Duramax and Allison as you mentioned.
Agree.

Sit down with a pencil, paper, and a calculator. Do the numbers, check the LOADED pin weight and the weight of everything else that goes in the truck. Compare that number with the cargo capacity sticker on the truck. IMHO, if you want to stay within the manufacturer's weight recommendations you need four wheels on the back of the truck.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Were those GM engineers names Larry, Curly, and Moe..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Were those GM engineers names Larry, Curly, and Moe..
hahaha. Good rich, you gave us a good laugh and got the topic a little upbeat.