Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The List

Everyone probably has one. Maybe short, maybe extensive. It may change with life's barrage of good and bad. It may be a fuzzy subconscious thing, or it could be an all consuming, ever present obsession to attain.
Mine has always been pretty much as follows;
One good friend, I think I have been a realist in this, you will only stumble on this person, no matter what you do, you can't make this happen, like some assembly kit you might purchase, it just occurs in life...or it doesn't. My friend is Bob Manske, I know even with the distance that separates us, he would always be there for me. Without Bob's friendship, my first objective on the list would not be checked.
A soul mate and wife. Often the wife is not the soul mate, just a wife. My sweet Sue is my soul mate, I treasure every moment with her.
This retirement time I have experienced in the 4 years I have had, has been all I had 'penciled in' on my list. Traveling all over the United States to the places I have dreamed of, stopping at a roadside 'Wide place in the road' talking to strangers, seeing the light in their eyes when they speak of their life's experiences and dreams.
Serving my country. I think giving back, may be an overused phrase, but I will have to go with it. We VietNam Vets got nothing but hate when we returned, but we knew, and know now, we were there for our country, and would do it right now if we were called upon, even with the same 'reward' we got from the people.
Probably a modest list, but it's mine.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
God Bless 'ya Ozz. Thanks for putting it so well. Just the way I feel about my love Phyllis, and my country.
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Ditto Rick, Ozz you are an inspiration to all of us VietNam Vets. My Junebug stood by me through what I called the black years after coming back home. She took a lot of my anger and frustration loving me no mater what. She IS my soul mate and we love life together.
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I didn't meet Karen until after I got out of the Army in 1978; however, she has stood beside me through good times and bad. She has diligently followed me from one part of the country to the other. She was my rock when I was in Iraq fighting the terrorists, keeping the home fires burning. She also is my best friend as well as my soulmate.

While I didn't go to Vietnam, I proudly served in the US Army from 1971-1978 and remember the hate that was all around at that time. As a young private straight out of Basic Training, we weren't allowed to go anywhere off the installation without at least one other person with us. I again answered the call in 1990 during the first gulf war and served until 2005. This is without a doubt the greatest country in the world and I am proud to be called a "vet".
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
And we thank all of the vets for their service to our great country. And also to the spouses that waited at home and kept the home fires burning. I know it was not an easy time for any of you. I recently read all the letters my Mother and Father wrote back and forth during the time my Father was serving in North Africa and Italy during WWII. It was a difficult time for both. It was also a difficult time for the children in those families and we should also thank them. I was only 18 months old when my Father left for service. He was a picture on the dresser, "Captain Daddy". When he came home on leave (his only one), I was 4 and I told the neighbor, "Mother's husband is coming home!". They were married for 53 years before my Father's death in 1990. My Father, Lt. Col. L.E. Woffard, was very proud of his service and I know he would shake each of your hands and tell you what a great thing you have done.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Susie-Q, you are a sweety.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I was in army Sept 1966 to Sept 1969. I didn't go to Vietnam and spent my 3 years in Germany. My cousin went to Vietnam. We went through boot camp together in Fort Campbell Kentucky. He was in the lower bunk and I had the upper bunk. He came back from Vietnam and is OK. My cousin did 2 years. I would do it again if called. I am too old now I am sure.
Didn't meet Dusty until I was out of the military. I would be lost without Dusty.

DON
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Here's one vet who is proud of you Nam vets. Luckily, I got to spend time in Korea before Nam started. That was a lovely place too!
Me thinks there were and are too many spoiled brats in this country. They don't know what love of country means.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Boy, Ozz. I am going to give you the biggest hug if we ever meet. You have the best heart.
Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Allan
I so agree with you, however, our family found a way to instill in our young grandsons that pride. They idealize their great-grandfather although they never knew him. We talk a lot about his service, provide them with mementos and both have done reports at school (one teacher didn't like it) about his service in WWII. My Father is buried at the National Cemetery in Riverside, CA. When we visit, we talk about how many people are buried there and that they all provided us with freedom. I believe we can continue this through the generations if we work at it. Many of our children are getting brain washed in our schools and universities. We can undo this in the home and family. JMHO
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Cathy and I are both retired AF. I was in from 66-86, Never made it to Viet Nam, don't know why, except wasn't called to go. Cathy was in from 68-94 with a six year break in service to go to school. She went in as E1 and retired as an 04 (major). We met at an NCO Club and got married 3 months later. Have been together ever since. We have raised two fine boys also. One did time in Navy and is just finishing his degree in accounting this May at San Diego State University. The other went to University of Mary in North Dakota. We are staunch supporters of the military and both would do it over again if possible. The one thing we didn't have is a guttural grunt of recognition as the army and marines have (lol).

Thanks to all you other Vets, who have served all over the world when called upon to do so. I like to think that I have helped make the world a better place, although hard to tell these days!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:08 AM   #12

M.O.C. #2239
A little something I wrote about 15 years ago. Please continue to support our Military women & men.

WHAT DID I KNOW ABOUT WAR

I was drafted at the age of 19 years and 6 months. Most of us now have children older than that. I was from a family of farmers who were never called to serve their country. I had no long line of Military History that I had to live up to.

WHAT DID I KNOW ABOUT WAR?

I didn’t want to go, heck I had a sister who married a Canadian guy, I could go to Canada and live with her. I heard a lot of guys were going to Canada to avoid the draft. No, I’d better not. I’d better just face this draft thing and get it over with.

I left for 8 weeks of Basic Training leaving behind a girl I cared very much for, even though I had known her only 5 weeks. I left my parents who knew little about the military, three sisters with families and my job I had worked for 18 months. Eight weeks of Artillery training in Oklahoma was a treat. It was the first time I’d ever been out of the northern part of the U.S.. I was home on leave for Christmas of 1967. I really don’t remember much after that until we landed in Vietnam. “Wow, what is that smell”? “Boy, is it ever hot here”. I met a guy, much older than me, weathered, handle-bar mustache and real rugged looking guy , at the transportation center. He said if I stuck with him, he’d get me to my outfit. As I think back now, he was about 21 and looked 30. I stuck with him because,

Once at my Battery (artillery name for company) just outside of Xain Loc, 35 miles from Saigon, I fell into the same routine as everyone else. This wasn’t too bad. The country was a lot different than I was used to. The people looked, walked and talked different. I could never feel comfortable around them. This was not at all like the World War II movies I had seen on TV.

February 1 1968, the night before my 20th birthday. Small arms fire all around us, mortars coming in, people running everywhere, chaos all over the place. February 2, my birthday, more of the same, lots of tension. With in a few weeks we moved up north to Hue. We learned what rockets coming in sounded like and what kind of damage they could do to man and equipment. We were hit by NVA (North Vietnam Army). Could this be what war was like? People getting hit by one bullet and dying, while others were hit several times and lived?

I just wanted to survive. I wanted no medals, no hero pins and no body bag. I just wanted to do my job as I had been trained and get out alive and in one piece for that GREAT girl who kept sending those letters that ended with “I Love You”.
I got home from Nam in January of 1969. I found out a very good home town friend had been killed in Nam shortly after I got over there. How hard that must have been on my parents and family. I learned fast that no one wanted to know what my year was like, including the men in the American Legion of my small hometown. I found that I didn’t fight in a Big One, (World War) so the 2 killed in action and 1 missing in action from my hometown must not count to those men. It only took me a couple days back in the world to learn to keep my mouth shut about Vietnam. “Keep it to yourself”, one friend of mine told me who had been there. I may have forgotten some names, places and days, but I haven’t forgotten pain, death and fear. Like that guy with the handle-bar mustache I met when I was new in country, I lost my youth some place in Vietnam.

Oh ya, that girl that wrote all those letters? Well, I married her November 1, 1969. We have 2 great kids and each other to share love and support.

Jack
565568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:21 AM   #13
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Jack,
Thank you for your rememberings. My brother was/is a Marine in the same war that you served. (He says once a Marine, always a Marine.) I am so grateful for men such as you and my brother who gave so much of themselves. Please accept my sincere thanks for the things that you and others like you continue to do by serving our country.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
As a Viet Nam era veteran (proud too!) I am heartened to know that so many of you share the "label". I believe that we are the only American soldiers ever to be punished as a group for our governments actions. Bless all of you and your spouses (mine too).
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts ggranch.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:43 AM   #16
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
"Happiness is being married to your best friend", Sharon and I have been happy for 38 years this month.

I served proudly in the US Navy from Feb. 1968 to Dec. 1971.

Thanks for the thread Ozz.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #17
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I also proudly served in the Army from Nov. 1968 to July of 1971. That service included Germany and a year in Viet Nam. Didn't much want to go to Nam, but did and would do it again for this great country. Those of you going to the spring Branson rally will see the "Viet Nam Vet" sticker on our Monty.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bruce, you look way to young! Thank you for your service to our great country.
Ozz
Old 02-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
THE TITLE ""BAND OF BROTHER'S"" surly rings true here, no matter what branch of service, we were togeather THEN and NOW. and there is no changing that. God Bless us all, and I still say KEEP YOUR POWDER dry my friends, we may still be called upon to serve and I know I for one will again step forward if called. I can also say it looks like we have all be very LUCKY to have the wonderful ladies we have.
LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!!!!!!!
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are right on, John.