Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Questions about Santa Fe, NM

We are thinking about spending a week of so in Santa Fe NM in the next severa weeks.

Does anyone have any comments about where to stay, and if this is a good time to make a trip there.

Thanks for the info.

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax with Allison Trans.
Firestone Airbags
Glide-Ride Pinbox - It's Great!
2006 3400RL - We Love The Trailer!

Montana Customer Service?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Rick, We have stayed several times in Sante Fe. The last two time we stayed at Ranchos de Sante Fe RV Park which is out east of the city (toward Las Vegas, which is I-25 North--though it does not head north at this point). We like it for several reasons, not least of which is that it puts us on our way home, right at the intersection of I-25 and US 285 which is the route we usually take on leaving Sante Fe.

Out the other direction we have stayed at Sante Fe Skies RV Park. It is a very nice park. Rancos is just a bit more toward the "natural" while Skies is a bit more manacured. For reasons stated above I would prefer Ranchos for my own choice, but you wouldn't go wrong at Skies. WIFI is free at Ranchos, it was NOT when we last stayed at Skies, but may be now.

Some years ago we stayed in the national forest campground up on the road to Sante Fe Ski Basen, near the Hyde State Park. I really liked it, but it would be too "tight" for many fifth-wheels and, of course, only electric hook up. Hyde State Park also has campground, but we have never stayed there.

I am tempted to say, anytime would be good to visit Sante Fe, but I honestly do think this would be a good time. In fact, we are overdue for a visit to our daughter in Buena Vista, CO and will probably come back by Sante Fe as we usually do.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I agree with David, we've stayed at several and have liked them all. I mostly like staying anywhere in NM because of Blakes Lotaburgers!!!

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Thanks all for the information.

We have heard about Ranchos de Sante Fe RV Park and are leaning in that direction. A friend of my wife mentioned Trailer Ranch RV Resort on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe.

Have you heard of that park? Also, since we will be in the area for 6 or 7 days, does it make any sense to stay at more than one location - just for variety? And, perhaps, what are the one or two things that we "just gotta see/do" while there?

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Firestone Airbags

Old 08-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I can't tell you much about the campgrounds, but you gotta go to the square in Old Town. The Native Americans sell their handmade jewelry, clothing, and other things on the sidewalks of the square. There are also hundreds of little shops that sell everything from trinkets to genuine artifacts. You can easily spend a couple of days in this area alone. The streets are extremely narrow so you'll have to be carefull where you drive, but there are plenty of public parking places, and almost everything there is within walking distance. If you like mexican food you will be in the right place for the best in the country.

Lonnie
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We stayed at the Trailer Ranch Resort in May. It is OK...sites large enough for a big Montana. A little crowded, kinda noisy. Some working folks staying there. Best part, good bus service to downtown right there. Plenty of facilities nearby...dining, shipping, movie,, etc.

We looked at the RV Resort out East of town, It looked OK, but it is rather "remote". Clean, but "stark" is a good word...no vegatation, windy. We would go bck to the Trailer Ranch before the other one.

PJ, Nan and Scooter
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, pwr chip, Pac brake, Bielsen shocks, Banks Exhaust.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #7
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
I could write a whole essay on Santa Fe, since it is my very favorite of all places to visit. I never tire of going there. There is something about the atmosphere of the place that keeps me wanting to come back again and again.
There are several places right downtown that you don't want to miss.
The old church is interesting and you must see it. Of course, the Native Americans have their jewelry on one side of the Plaza for displaying their wares. It is very interesting to see all of the different artists pieces that they have made.
And, if you are really interested in torquoise, there are numerous jewelry stores that you can visit to buy some beautiful stuff.
The restaurants are great...there is one right on the Plaza where we have eaten several times...they serve different kinds of foods, including just plain food. The Mexican food is very good too.
If you have the time, take the High Road to Taos on one of your days there and stop in the little village of Chimayo for lunch. Ranchos De Chimayo is one of the best Mexican restaurants and the atmosphere is perfect...and outdoor veranda is wonderful where you can sit for your meal or either indoors...but, we always choose the veranda. It is not to be missed..one of my favorites...and while you are on the excursion on the High Road to Taos, there are weavers shops along the way where they weave beautiful rugs, placemats, clothing , such as vests and many other things...very interesting to see.
I have tried to give you an overview of what I think are the favorites Maybe I will think of other things, and if I do, I will write more later. Have fun!
Countrygirl or Shirley

Shirley and David

2002 2955RL Montana http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg
East Texas Country Home
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just love Santa Fe. I just wish I could remember all of the places that were our favorites but young timers has set in. I do know that we sure did enjoy the National Parks and Taos just outside of Santa Fe too. We were there during the balloon festival first week of the October in near-by Albuquerque. There is lots to do there.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just got back from a business trip in Los Alamos, but always insist no lodging in Santa Fe. Weather is warm and gorgeous, and they are actually getting some long needed rain so it should be greened up a little more.

Careful with the traffic changes in Old Town though - They have been converting the streets to one-way on weekend nights to help control the "cruising" through the square. My GPS sent me on a route that could not be achieved.

Brad

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="ClickforLittleton,Colorado Forecast"height=100width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Correction - "always insist on lodging in Santa Fe.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Thank you all for the great info. We made our reservations today - and it is the Rancheros de Santa Fe.

For those of you who have not used Google maps. You should give the satellite, and hybrid maps a try. We were able to actually see the site that we will be using.

The choice was actually fairly easy. First, the Trailer Ranch RV Resort did not have any spots that could handle the 40' 3400 (I have a 2.5' bike rack on the back of the 5ver.

Second, the Santa Fe Skies RV Park looked really barren - especially as shown by the satellite photos - and they were more expensive with no free Internet.

We will check all of them out while we are there.

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Firestone Airbags