Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bed Caster Up Grade

Hi All,

After purching our Mounty about 3 years ago, my pet peeve was the way the Bed slide casters were designed. It was my first Mod.

I bought new caster wheels from Home Depot and mounted them to the floor so the Bed rides on the casters not the casters on the floor.

In use now for 3 years it concerned me that the pressure might be too great over time on the Pine wood frame. I got my hands on an old bed frame which fit the bill perfectly.

To see this additional improvement go to www.msnusers.com/azstar Click on pictures at upper left or lower right corner, then go to page 2. You'll need to click on the pics. to see them full screen.

For those of you who may have done this Mod. when I first posted it I think you might want to add the Steel Angles as shown. I'm very pleased with it. Makes for a very smooth running slide.

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Good job! Was wondering what we were going to do as the carpet is starting to bunch around the casters. My list gets longer---thanks.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Neat job Steve,

Got to say, I think this is a great addition to your casters.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Azstar, That sure looks nice I had to go look at mine to see if it look like it was wearing and so far it looks ok, I am putting it on my list to look out for. Thanks for the pictures.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
WOW really nice up-grade to the bed room slide.What a great idea.Thanks for the tip.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Now I have another thing to add to my "keep an eye on" list. Sure a nice upgrade!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had posted that one of the casters on our bed was never installed causing some unevenness and resulting in a grove being worn in the black under belly of the bedroom slide.I like your ungrade ..however how did you do that withouit altering the angle of the bedroom slide..It looks higher and would that not cause a problem with slide movement..How did you get around that???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #8
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Howdy Rich,

The pressure on the new casters is very close to the orignal. When I started the project I actually was prepared to have to shim them up to get the right pressure, but in my case they were just right without shimming.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote