Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #21
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I don't want to get into the merits one way or the other but need to correct an impression. The solid tailgate savings are more than "pennies". According to my experience as verified by the studies Glenn noted, the difference amounts to a mile per gallon or better. At current fuel prices that amounts to about $150.00 every 12,000 miles.

As for me, I tow with a notched tailgate but swap for the stock gate when around home. On the road, we have a new bed cover to use when not towing.
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #22
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I have the v tail gate and the convenience is great when towing. The fuel savings to me is secondary.........that may change though.
Have a good day!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
After reading all the comentary on this issue, I find no convincing reason to buy the v-gate. Not only would I lose fuel efficiency with one, it would cost me $349.00 for something that does not perform up to the expectations it was marketed for in this regard.

Also, as Glen previously mentioned, even with the v-gate, if you forget raise the pin in regard to leveling the trailer, you can still cause damage to the v-gate.

I understand the "peace of mind" that owing a v-gate gives to those who hope to reduce the odds of having an accident. This still doesn't eliminate all the potential for an accident as pointed out above.

I personally try to have another set of eyes assisting me when I back up or to the trailer - my wife. With out her assisting me in my backing up duties, I would certainly have big troubles.

Finally, a feature I find attractive with keeping the standard gate along with my folding tonnau cover, is the extra secretory this affords for pocessions when using the tv while making various side trips, shoping, etc.

Good discussion everyone.

Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #24
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I worked through this last winter. Like Dave said, you save about 1 MPG with the OEM tailgate. But that was when I was NOT towing. All the before mentioned tests look like they were done with just the truck too. The front of our 5th wheels has to be deflecting some wind down into the bed and how is it going to exit? Like someone mentioned they could see the turbulence blowing things around in the bed. Anyone can make a bone headed move, with or without the notch. Once the hitch goes in the back the OEM tail gate comes off. I'll wait to see how it works out but I don't think I'll get rid of my notched and vented tail gate anytime soon.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have one of the "cheap" V gates and am very happy with it. As for having the king pin too low that you have to lower either type of tail gate, why would you even consider backing in to hook up unless you had raised the front end of the 5er? I have one of those levels on the side of my rig that I can set at the point where my king pin is released from the hitch. That way I can restore the unit to the same point when I go to hook up.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #26
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
On our previous 5er if I backed in with the tailgate down, I had to be sure to back straight in or the tailgate would hit the front of the trailer. So that was our reasoning for a notched tailgate. The first one worked great but had to be replaced because of damage. The new one has the added bonus of a whistle only when towing at about 60 mph. Loud enough for passing motorist to hear. The company refused to do anything about it and admitted that they had a problem with some of them.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The test links provided by Glenn provide very informative data and are accurate for the conditions of the test. They were not test to the effect on MPG but aerodynamic test of the effect of drag under varying conditions which may have a effect on fuel economy.You may note that the test with a "bed cover" actually caused less drag thereby, using the same logic, increasing fuel mileage. Since the air bubble is no longer occuring in the bed of the truck the position of the tailgate, any tailgate, OEM or otherwise may have little effect on MPG or may actually cause a increase.. With the Fifth wheel attached all of the indicated data is invalid. The only way accurate test data could be gathered would be to perform the test with the fifth wheel attached and with or with out the differing tailgates. In any case it made no difference to me. I got the V tailgate and the bedsaver for my own reasons and they apply to no one else.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think v-gate or stock gate is a matter of personal preference and what is important to each person. Some of the drawbacks listed do not apply to all of us.

For example, I do not have to raise the pin to clear the v-gate. But my hitch is mounted pretty high. I have to raise the pin to clear the hitch, but you have to do that no matter what the tailgate.

I never have to lower the tailgate for anything unless I want to load something heavy in the bed.

I have had no problem with the latches. But, mine is an older one with the latch on each side, not the center latch.

Mine is an older metal gate. I wouldn't mind having one of the newer gates. Either way, the v-gate weighs far less than the stock gate. I don't even have the stock gate any more. The gate originally on this truck went with the truck I traded in so I could keep this v-gate. The original tailgate a couple of trucks back went to the auction with other things we sold when we sold the house.

I've not done any tests to see if mileage changed but if it did it is inconsequential, at least on my trucks. I would have noticed a significant decrease back when I had the 1999 Ford and had both the v-gate and the stock gate. There probably is a difference but I doubt it is enough to be more than pennies per fillup. The convenience is certainly worth that small cost to me. But to each his own on this one.

If I had a cover for security then I'd want the stock gate. Bottom line to me is there are good reasons to go with a v-gate and good reasons not to. Just like brand of truck and brand of fifthwheel, they all do the job. You have to go with what makes you happiest and what works best for you. For me it will continue to be the v-gate until a reason comes along to change my mind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
I don't believe it could be said any better!
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to my shipping invoice from UPS the custom flow tailgate ships at 58.3lbs. I would guess that 3 to 5 lbs of that is "box". Have no idea what the OEM gate weighs but it is considerably more than that??? Think I got everything we need for the fifth wheel.There is a lot of "stuff'you need to get when converting from a TT to a Fifth wheel.The back up cam from Rv cams is on our list but will not get that till the unit is here and we can figure out how to install it.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Now all you need is the 5th wheel itself. I had the same experience back in 2004, went from my 315RLS Mountaineer TT to the 3400RL fifth wheel. While I have a lot of "stuff" in this coach I still have empty cabinets, guess I better get working on that.. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The custom flow "V" gate arrived today, really quick, It can in no way compare with the OEM gate in terms of construction or weight at 55lbs, The OEM gate is at least 3 times that heavy and of course solid. The custom flow gate is however well constructed and will serve the intended purpose. This was not a MPG issue or a security issue but a Rich will sooner or later attempt to drive through the tailgate..issue..and a attempt to prevent that. We expect the camper in about two weeks.We had snow yesterday, severe Thunder storms right now and wet snow for tonite so two weeks will be just fine with us.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #33
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
As a person that was considering the purchase of one of these v-gates, due to the information learned during this discussion, I now have some good reasons not to purchase one.

1. No additional out of pocket expenses
2. Saving money (fuel econmoy wise) with the original gate
3. With existing folding tonnau cover, more security for items in
bed when TV is disconnected from trailer.
4. Also, better protection for the items in the bed in inclimate
weather.
Thanks for the assistance in helping me reach this decision.
Gary & Carole
Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #34
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary,
Glad we could help you with this decision. As we all have learned here over time, what works for one might not work for another. Just glad there can be disagreement without hate to go along with it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #35
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
YEAH!! What Montana Sky said.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #36
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Right on, Montana Sky. I hope we can disagree without being disagreeable.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #37
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I justtalked to a fellow with both an air damn and a louvered tailgate. When I asked him about how he liked them, he offered to give them to me if I could take the air damn off and refinishe the holes. Then he cussed and said his mileage decreased more then 2 mpg, handling got worse, and he had to use a lower gear to pull grades. As soon as he gets back home, he is putting the old tailgate back on. The dealer, dodge, he bought the truck from assured him his mileage would go us significantly.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #38
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
I have always takened the position that just because we don't always agree on this website on different topics, doesn't mean we can't learn something from the discussions and remain non-argumentive. My life is too full to allow it to become personal in these discussions. I try, not always successful though, to focus on the positive. Thanks for the positve feedback Montana Sky.

Gin & I - I feel sorry for the fellow that you folks ran into and had such disappointment with products mentioned. Even though one of the products is the current topic of discussion, I wish their experience could have been a happier one. I don't believe anyone would want to see someone else have a bad experience with their choices. I hope their future choices bring them better luck.

Thanks again folks, this topic has been a educational one for me.
Gary & Caole
Old 04-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The one and only reason I've seen so far that would convince me to go back to a stock gate is if I had a bed cover and needed the solid gate for security. I am absolutely not convinced there is a significant mileage difference. I've been wrong before but I sure didn't notice it when I went to a v-gate about 10 years ago, not even when for the first seven of those years ago the v-gate and stock gate were seasonal. I'll stay with the v-gate because it's the best choice for me. Plus, I don't have the stock gate any more and to purchase one would not be cost effective. However, as others said, there often is more than one "right" answer, depending on the question you are asking. Gary, thanks for sharing your decision and your reasons. As others said, it's whatever works best for each of us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will probably run the V gate during the towing season and put the OEM gate back on later. It is not very hard to get on and off, Had the OEM gate off in less than 5 mins the first time I tried it. We are very fortunate to have many sources of expertise to draw from.Our local camping group of 40 or so campers, Our local FCRV chapter and the 3000 or so posting members of this forum not to mention the Keystone camping group forum, Rv net, and a couple of others.All input both positive and negative is to be considered but at the end of the day the individual does wht serves them best. At least on this forum you can post negative information without having your head torn off..well...most of the time anyhow