Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2005, 04:45 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Tire wear, axle alignment, shocks

Giving the new to us Monty a complete check over before heading out later this summer. Noticed one tire has worn the inside of the tread almost smooth. Haven't checked any measurements on axles etc yet but did notice the shock on the opposite tire, same axle, missing? I am a long way from factory service and haven't had very good experiences from local dealerships in the past. Has anyone had similar problems and how did you resolve it? Any idas on correct axle measurements? How about the shocks, part numbers or replacements?

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
OK, I searched the topics and found some good info to head me in the right direction. The Al-Ko site was very helpful and found shocks on the Monroe site. Aren't computers great. Haven't even gotten dirty yet and already have the basic info to find the problem. Will start with finding the axle number. Noticed the metal tag when I was scouting for problems. Will check measurements, jack up each wheel and check, need to check the brake adjustments anyway. Will look into the retro fit kit for the lubricated shackles. This is a 2001 3280RL and I will check for the 10" frame. Looks like a long day! Its raining outside so maybe tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think all the 2001 models had the newer 10" frame unless maybe some very early ones did not. Our 2001 was purchased in January, 2001, and had been on the dealer's lot for a month or two. It had the larger frame.

When you start measuring the axles be sure you move the Montana in a straight line far enough for the axles to come into line as best they will. The factory told me the axles will not be in their straight ahead position for maybe 50 feet or more following a turn. I was trying to measure distance between rims on each side and was getting different measurements on each side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

[...]
When you start measuring the axles be sure you move the Montana in a straight line far enough for the axles to come into line as best they will. The factory told me the axles will not be in their straight ahead position for maybe 50 feet or more following a turn.[...]
Hmmmm...... I'll take this into account and measure again on our Monty. What is supposed to be the newest tire is very worn compared to the rest of them. I'm pretty sure that I have an alignment problem. Thinking about it, this may be why the previous owner had the tire in that position come apart on him.

Eric

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I think I may have found another problem! The center shackle on the right rear axle is hanging by a hair. I was very lucky pulling it home the 200 miles from where I bought it. It might have let loose at any time. The outside shackle link had worn all the way out and the inside link has about 1/8" of metal still holding the bolt. WHEW!!! OK as I said before I think NOW is the time to replace all the shackles and really check out the wheels, brgs, and brakes before it goes another foot.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:31 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drhowell

I think I may have found another problem! The center shackle on the right rear axle is hanging by a hair. [...]
Better to find it now when you only have to sit down and have a stiff drink to calm down instead of having to scrape out your undies

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:46 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
You can say that again! Actually I had a couple of stiff drinks and said a couple of thankyous to my guardian angel!!!!! I still break out in sweat every time I think about it.

I found the heavy duty Dexter rebuild kits for $89.95 at the Trailer Parts Superstore plus $15 for UPS ground so far the best price. Will be in the City of Medford this weekend so will check for better prices.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow!
Farmer Don.... were you lucky! There have been several threads here in the recent past that discussed the shackles issue. A search will bring up most of them. Keywords are SHACKLES, WHEELS, AXELS..... Lot's of good info.

Some of us have posted pics re: this issue. Myself, Gruffy, and Patodonn to name a few.

To view my pics click on the "PictureTrail" link in my signature block. When you get to the site choose the album titled "Shackles".

The price you've found for the Rebuild kit is the best I've seen. We paid about $150 for ours. I'd take the $89 and run with it!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I checked out your picture trail HamRad. Don Moore gave me the lead. We are practly neighbors about 40 miles away. Your links showed some wear but were partly hidden with the bolt when assembled. This one was clear through on the one side so it wouldn't have lasted many more miles. I think the price is good also so I am going to order soon. I need to confirm the axle spread is 33" or 35" since the kits are for specific ones.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Here is the photo of the bad shackle we have been discussing. The other three do not show wear. Probably why I missed it on the first few inspections. ENJOY!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:16 AM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
That puppy is BROKE!!! Ours were not even close to that situation! It is a very good thing that you were aware of the problem, found it, and have the corrections "in hand". Guess that's what this Forum is all about! Thanks to HamRad and others for the original surfacing of the "maybe you should look at these" guidelines.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote