Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Disable the LP Detector?

We do a lot of boondocking in our 2955, sometimes 10 days with no hookups. In order to lengthen the time between running the generator I prefer to disable anything in the rig that runs on 12V that we don't really need. This includes the flashlight charger, and the LP detector. I'd also like to disable the detector when in storage.

So here's the deal. I pulled the fuse to the detector and not only did it set off an alarm, but the fuse panel has LEDs that light when a fuse is blown, or pulled. That's a really cool feature, but it probably draws more current that the detector! The detector draws 85ma, which is not much. But if we're in storage for 3 months it adds up.

Has anybody else tried to turn the silly thing off?

Thanks,
muddypaws

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
I recommend that you use the propane detector whenever you are camping. My brother blew the windows out of his TT about 10 years ago because of a propane leak - it totalled the trailer. Luckily, he walked away from the explosion with a bit less hair.

For long term storage, many of us have added a battery disconnect switch that will shut off any 12 vdc load that may be on the batteries.
tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree about the detector. It needs to be on, especially while boondocking. I agree about the battery switch for storage. Right now, I just disconnect the battery cable, but will install a switch soon.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We'll add our vote to leaving the detector on whenever camping, no matter where. When we had the Roadtrek our detector kept waking us up one night. We were so annoyed but we finally got smart and checked. Good thing as there WAS a problem and only the fact that it was warm and the windows open kept us from having an even bigger problem. We also disconnect the battery whenever we are not using the 5er. Stay safe!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:24 AM   #5
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
The LP detector is for your and everyone around you safety. Leave it on...it could save your life!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Whoa there guys!

What I didn't say was that I intend to replace it with a self contained battery operated one like I did in my last trailer.

We've had our share of gas leaks over the 30 or so years we've been RVing. Never enough to set off the detector, the wife always goes off long before a detector would.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote