Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Making a Parallel kit

I don't care for the Honda Parallel kit and don't want to spring for the higher cost of the Companion, (I will probably buy a used EU2000i on E-bay) so I am making my own version of the Parallel kit. Ordered the parts over the Internet, will let you know how it turns out. I already have one generator.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Ozz, Iam not sure how you are doing it but I got everything I needed at Menards. I used 2 short heavy duty extension cords cut the ends off, a 30 amp receptical and a water tight box. I also have a 18 gal. marine gas tank mounted on the pull out slide, very easy to fill and I altered 2 new gas caps, replaced the vent with metal truck valve stems with rubber gaskets on each side, standard gas line fits perfect. I do not travel with gas in the marine tank, but do keep the generators full.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bill, sounds real good. I'm using the same type weather-tight connector and cover as the Montana's shore power, only 30 amp.(On the front of the Montana and my Parallel connection rig.)
I am using an electrical PVC box with a gasket. It's not brain surgery, besides it's always fun for me.
18 gallons, wow. Don't you get a gas odor? I am buying the machined aluminum gas caps, don't like the epoxy idea.
Do you haven any pictures?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I also just used 2 12Ga, 3 wire, short extension cords w/the ends cut off and a 30Amp RV receptacle. I put the receptacle in a water tight box and was good to go. Parts should be available at Lowes or HD.

Don't forget to bond neutral and ground together at the 30amp receptacle.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Ozz, I set this up back in 04 and have only had gas in the tank once, no gas odor, it is only vented when running. I will take some pics and e-mail them to you, I dont know how to do this complicated system on this forum to post pics.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote