Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Propane Detector Replacement

I am replacing the detector on our '05 Mountaineer and I stupidly unhooked the wires without really thinking about what I was doing.
After I installed the new one and went to hook up the wiring I noticed the propane detector has red and black wires and the Mountaineer has white and white/green wires.

What do I do now??
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would use a volt ohm meter (VOM) to determine the polarity of the wires. You can use a test light also. If you have problems check for a blow the fuse in the fuse panel.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The new one's manual should tell you which is which. I would assume that red is positive and black is negative.

As John stated, use a volt meter or test light to determine the positive wire (white or white/green) and then connect that to the assumed red wire of the new appliance. (My best guess is that white is negative and white/green is positive, but best guess is not what you really want.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On our 2007 Montana, all the 12V is run in a zip cord type cable, with the white serving as (-) or ground and the colored stripe wire (some green, yellow, red, blue) serving as the positive (+). All the whites are bundled into a grounding bar behind the 12V fuse panel.

Always good to check with a meter as John says, but its most likely black = white and red = striped.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
John, Wayne, Brad thanks for the help. You were correct, black to white and red to the white/green stripe. It's been a day and a half and no false alarms so I'm hoping the problem is gone.

Thanks again

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you got it working. Happy New Year.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote