Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
lbyoung

M.O.C. #8972
Sylvania micr-convection over

We own our first Montana (2008 3400)as of July. I thought I just needed to get used to a new and different micro-convection oven. Here are some of the things I am wondering about and am asking if anyone else has the same issues with the oven: 1.the fan does not run at start up, it may run after the micro stops, or it may not run at all 2. the turntable has stopped turning most of the time, but will occasionally turn 3. microwaved dishes get VERY hot (a cup of milk heated for 90 seconds yields a cup rim that is too hot for lips to touch!) 4. the microwave will stop running mid-cycle, causing us to think it popped a circuit breaker. Flipping the circuit breaker switch for the micro off and on does nothing. The micro eventually turns back on by itself 5. When the turntable does turn it has always had a noisy, grinding/grating sound
The convection oven does seem to work. Does this sound familiar to other owners with this oven? I have had some experience with a convection-microwave in our last rv, and it acted nothing at all like this one! I have been trying to contact the company on the warranty card, but have had no luck getting through nor have they answered the message I left to please return my phone call. We are currently many states away from where we purchased the fifth wheel, so am wondering if I should wait until May to get this looked at by the selling dealer.

lbyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I have the same brand micro/convection combo as you. I don't have any of those problems, mine works perfectly as a microwave and on the convection setting. I've only had my RV for all of 2 weeks, though. This is just to say it does sound like your micro/conv combo is broken to me. I would contact the nearest Montana dealer with a shop and ask them to take a look at it, especially if you are under warranty still, and don't use it until they do, it sounds like something that could possibly spark a fire. (I don't know RV's that well yet but I've had experience with sparking appliances.)
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I would take it back to the dealership for a look see as this is not normal operation in my experience either.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We had ours only a week last spring until it went bad. Had to wait until the Fall Rally to get it replaced. I guess it worked partially ok, except on pop corn, it would only halp pop a bag and then burn. It is now at "Lazy Days in Tampa getting fixed, or at least I hope they are. They have had it for two weeks now and it isn't fixed yet. I left two messages today. The next step is calling the Service Manager. Maybe I can get things speeded up. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We have had our new 09 Monty for only a few weeks and the Sylvania microwave has started to arc inside when using the microwave function. A large blue flame can be seen inside where the electronics are. The convection function works fine although I have turned the circuit off at the fuse for safety. The dealer is contacting Keystone to request a replacement be sent to us in TX where we will be staying. The company has done this in the past for a defective recliner and rear day-night shade in our 07. The units are heavy but not difficult to remove and install. The joke is that the DW liked the Apollo half time oven in our 07 so much we almost switched them when we picked up the new 09 but decided against it at the last minute.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Our dealer has informed us that Montana will ship a replacement oven to us in TX. I have always had good luck with Keystone looking after similiar problems in the past thus we had no hesitation in purchasing a new Monty.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote