Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Holding tanks

When we picked up our rig, I noticed a drip from the dump pipe. When I checked the cap, there was some of the foulest stuff coming out that I thought my lunch was going to hit the pavement. Our dealer appologized up and down, and had the dump valve from the galley grey tank replaced. They also insured the service dept. flushed out everything as it should have been done to start with.

After the valve was replaced, the Service Manager appoligized again and told us the problem was partially because the drain side of that tank doesn't set low enough, so about an inch of water waste remains in the bottom of the tank. He said the only way to insure the tank drains completely, was to put a board under the oposite side tires. I could be wrong, but I would think that drain side should set low enough to start with, as long as the ground is reasonably level.

Any thoughts?

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think the dealer is right on this one. I emptied the black tank when we had to have it serviced. I then parked on a grade with the valve on the downhill side. Probably another five gallons or so. Also, from visual inspection of the tank with the underbelly removed, I would agree with the dealer also.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
What Will said - we have had two tanks replaced and looked at both of the replacement tanks. They have a depression below the gate valve that holds a fair amount of "stuff".
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
When I seen our tanks (black & grey) I noticed the depression that was mentioned. There is a small ledge that the waste water has to cross over to exit the tanks. This could cause somewhat of a back up in the tanks. I believe the valves are at the lowest point on the tanks but they still have to overcome the ledge. Also, if they would be leaking through the seats I think you would get waste water into the remainder of the line and it would collect near the drain cap. I don’t think a smell as bad as you describe would be coming from the galley tank.

When we first got our camper I was surprised with some waste water that I wasn’t expecting to see when I pulled into the dump station. The solution for this was to add a shut off valve at the very end of the drain line. I also use a clear elbow and it is connected between the drain and the hose; which helps to eliminate any un-wanted surprises.

I haven’t had any more surprises after installing the extra drain valve and it was an easy install. I just simply flush the tanks with a little water if I feel I need to and keep chemicals in the black tank.

Here are a few photos of our tanks and the drain valve I installed.

One of them isn’t very clear but it may help to give an idea of what is there. I hope this helps!

[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/04110802.gif [/img]
[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/04120804.gif [/img]
[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/04110803.gif [/img]