Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Broken latch for stove vent

When I arrived at my CG last weekend I noticed that the little plastic bar that holds the stove vent flap shut on the exterior had broken off. What are my opitions? I assume it needs to be repaired/replaced?

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm don't remember how that vent comes off, but you could replace the whole vent.

Or, become inventive. A plastic tab loosely pop riveted as a replacement. The tab cold be made from anything. Or a nut and bolt of small size just tight enough to hold some pressure on it when it is locked in place.

For the 1 year I was with 3400Rl I was extremely careful about opening and closing those tabs.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You don't have to close and lock that vent unless you want to do so. Mine is yellowing. I will probably replace the whole vent next year. Looks like it will take 4 screws and a little silicon caulk. I don't like the fact that these plastic parts yellow, but.....

I had a cracked cover on the end of my awning and replaced it. When doing so, I noticed that the good one was yellowing. However, the refrigerator vents are not yellowing. I don't know what the difference might be.

Sorry, I think I just hijacked the thread. Others have answered the question about the closer. A small metal or plastic clip with a small screw with a plastic washer should handle the job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right we recently helped our Brother-in-law replace his stove vent...this is truely a DIY as stiles indicated.
Mine is yellowing along with those spot light lens that sit way up high, on my list of what to freshen up to keep my unit looking new.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

You don't have to close and lock that vent unless you want to do so. Mine is yellowing. I will probably replace the whole vent next year. Looks like it will take 4 screws and a little silicon caulk. I don't like the fact that these plastic parts yellow, but.....

I had a cracked cover on the end of my awning and replaced it. When doing so, I noticed that the good one was yellowing. However, the refrigerator vents are not yellowing. I don't know what the difference might be.
The yellowing is a result of the type of polymer used in the injection process. Some products don't yellow because they are used with a higher class polymer. Of course on these units, they cut costs by using the lowest price parts they can get by with. You'll notice that usually the plastic recepticals that hold the door open also yellow after awhile. It really doesn't hurt anything, but eventually they will start to look and feel porous and the plastic will turn "dusty".
Rick
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Where we live if you leave that flap open you will have mud daubers make their condos on your exhaust fan blades. It's a real treat to have the dried mud fall into your dinner cooking on the range when you turthe fan on!!
There are fasteners made for removable screens. Some are nothing more than a little brass 90 degree "screw" threaded on one end. Some are little "wings" that hace a screw go through one end. Check these out: http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s....FQIMswodWkJkyw
I've "freshened up" some yellowed items with Krylon Fusion paint (especially made for plastics).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the tip about the Krylon paint. I will try that out before I replace the vent. It sounds like it would be cheaper then replacement if it will look good.

I have screens on all the vents to keep the mud daubers out. On the oven vent, my flap hangs down flush with the side in the closed position leaving no access for the daubers. Am I fortunate? Do others hang ajar? Daubers certainly can be a problem. That is why I screen the water heater, furnace, and the refrigerator vents.

The cost of screening is much, much less than unwarrantied, uninsured, dauber damage to you refrigerator. I discovered that little fact in talking to my dealer service manager. He stated that if you have dauber damage, neither your warranty nor your insurance will cover the cost of repairs.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For yellowed plastic, try acetone (nail polish remover). Works like a charm - I just cleaned (removed a few millimeters of plastic) ours. Took all of 2 minutes...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote