Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Removing Carpet -traffic area

WIFEY IS TIRED OF DIRTY CARPET

I am in the process of removing the carpet in the front slideout area of my 05 Mountaineer 326FKS TT. Actually I am leaving the carpet on the slideout as I want to keep the cover over the slideout connection to main trailer body area. I have seen posts on this in the past and decided it is time.
On my trailer the same linoleum "runs" under the carpet. I have most of the carpet up and I can tell you there are many staples holding the carpet down. My technique so far is to tap a chisel with a hammer to pru the carpet up and then to run the chissel parrallel under and parallel with the carpet prying up as you go. This way seems to break less of the staples which are hard to get out of the floor.
Some of the staples broke close to the floor and I have had to tap them down into the floor and leave them.

The final chore will be to cover up the slideout connection area in a few places. In these areas the linoleum did not run far enough to touch the slideout connection. One fix would to reinstall enough carpet to cover any problems. Another soulution would to place a flat rubber strip there.

What I don't know is if the Slideout has to have some carpet to slide over. Does anyone know or has tried removing carpet ?

Either way should look okay and I should accomplish my goal of .. No More complaints about the dirty Carpet.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Boy, wish I could help but I can't, we are fixing to do the same thing, keep us posted on how it goes and any problems encountered, I think the bedroom slid and under it will be the biggest challange and would like to learn from someone eles's solution.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Jim,

I can keep you posted. We are only going to take the front living area carpet out. Will leave bedroom slide area and all as is. Actually the bedroom does not have carpet around the shower/dressing area, sink, and toiliet area.

We may replace a small fraction of that to "reseal" the slide connection area.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Progress Report

All carpet is up and I have just a few more staples to remove.
A note on staple removal. I use a screwdriver to pry up the staples on the ones I can. At this point they may break. Then they require pliers or vice grips and are more difficult to remove.

It is looking like I may be able to use a wide floor rubber strip at the Slideout connection instead of replacing a small strip of carpet.

One more note....I find the slideout is sitting on a small portion of the carpet I am removing so, I will activate the slideout a few inces inward to raise it off the last fraction of carpet I want to remove.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I removed the carpet up the stairs all the way to the dresser in our Mountaineer 5er and replaced it with hardwood laminate, it looks fantastic and is easy to keep clean. I've never seen such an over use of staples in my life.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Lots of staples to remove for sure.

I am now finished with the carpet removal. The linoleum looks okay but I have thought about hardwood laminate. SNOWNYET, did you lay the harwood laminate over your existing linoleum ?