Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Frame problems X 4 Fixed (hopefully)

Wish folks would quit having problems with their Montanas. Seems like everytime we read about a problem, we catch it! We have had so many problems it seems impossible to have any more since everything has been rebuilt or replaced. We are now having the same frame problem the Dhenry and ols1932 had. We have already had the rig back to the factory to have the frame fixed about two years ago. We took the 5W to a RV repair facility today to get the brakes repaired, the steps welded and for them to check the shackles and the hitch pin area which had deformed on the left side next to the pin. Looked like someone had drop kicked it about eight inches from the pin box. The repair guy could see broken welds and the floor of the closet has bowed upward.

The shackles were OK, but the equalizer brackets were ripping off the frame on both sides! To the RV shop owner (and me) it is obvious that the metal used in the frame is just too light to do the job. He says that it is not Lippert's fault, but of the specifications provided by the manufacturers. Been to many owners sites and some have frame problems and some don't. It runs by manufacturer as far as I can see.

Called Montana and talked to Carmen who said to take it to a Montana dealer and have it checked by them. Nearest to us at this time is Emerald Coast in Robertdale AL (CampingWorld). They got us a an appointment first thing tomorrow (Tues). Now that is service! Hope we don't have a difficult time with Montana. We aren't happy campers, but they could help our attitude with a cooperative one of their own. Will let you all know what happens.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Good luck, let us know what happens.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Since having mine repaired at the service center we have not noticed any more flex. We have not pulled a lot this year, but feel confident it was repaired correctly and that it will not come back.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Emerald Coast is an excellent dealer. We had a problem while traveling, dropped in and they repaired it while we waited. Great service and they fixed the problem.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
First step has been very positive. Obviously Emerald Coast is a big Keystone dealer. Thought that we would spend a lot of time on the phone, but no calls on our part. Once we convienced the tech that we did have a problem, it went fairly smoothly. Saw them lift the rig using a forklift on the hitchpin. It was scary---the pin moved between three and four inches upward before it lifted the 5W off the jacks! We will stay put until the parts come in and it can be repaired.

Evidently Emerald Coast has a good relationship with Keystone. Keystone has stepped up as it should in rectifying the problem which is a design, manufacting, materials and/or specification error. Keystone said that it would ship the necessary parts as soon as possible and Emerald Coast will take it in for repair the next day--a two day job. Our attitudes are much improved. Are concerned with the stress on the rig. The bathroom vent will not open, the bathroom doorway is not square and the overhead cabinet in the kitchen is lower on the wall side by a 1/2" from the height over the support posts--some of the same problems we had with the last frame failure.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Sounds like they are taking good care of you and the rig. We have been happy with the way keystone fixed ours so far and Hope your equally as satisfied when they are done. They added some support around the kingpin and down both sides when they repaired ours.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a good thing that Keystone is co-operative. It also indicates that Keystone is aware of a problem.. It would be a better thing if Keystone would review their frame specifications and take corrective action so that the problem is resolved. They know what needs to be done..they even have a "kit" for repairs..why not incorporate those parts in the frame spec's. I will wager that they will or already have done that..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Not having good feeling today about Keystone. They have not shipped the parts and are stonewalling the Emerald Coast tech and the warranty lady.

Guess I'll need to make some phone calls. The only person there I remember is Darrell Turner. If anyone has some good names and numbers to contact, I would appreciate it.

Know for as long as I have been on MOC there usually has been a thread regarding Montana frame problems. Seems to me that they should be proactive about fixing these obvious deficiencies. Know back in the early 90s when there were problems with sidewall delaminations, some mfgrs. hid behind the warranty limitations, but one came forward and fixed the problems. Their customers were happy and then they sued the wallboard maker and made up for their loss. Too bad Montana didn't fix it properly when they repaired the frame the last time it was at the factory.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Camping World bought out Emerald Caost, so I should call it Camping World RV Sales to be official. If you have a problem with your Keystone product, bring it here to Camping World in Robertsdale AL. The staff has struggled for us to get the frame-flex problem fixed and we just got a call from Lori, the warranty "fixer" that we have an appointment on Monday for repairs. Will tow it slow and gently to get there in one piece. Will let you know how it goes next week.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Feel like we are on a rollercoaster. Thought everything was going our way. Took the 5W in on time and they were ready to go at CampingWorld. Moved into a motel, ugh, but it was only going to be for one night---wrong! When they got the cap off, found that it was a broken cross beam. The frame flex repairs had already been done at the factory 8/05===wonder why they didn't keep some sort of record of it instead of sending the same parts. Of course, no word yet from Montana and we're homeless with Thanksgiving on the way. We're not happy campers. Think that there was someone else who had a broken cross beam---ina Big Sky if I remember OK.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
More rollercoasting for us. We were surprised that CW fixed the broken cross frame and put everything back together after discovering the new problem with new caulking everywhere and no cracks. Drove a couple of hours to MS for the night. Everything seemed nice and tight, but that part of I-10 is very smooth.

Today, another couple of hours to New Orleans. Part of I-10 is lumpy, so slowed to 50--55 mph. Notice in the mirror that the front of the 5W appears to be bouncing down over the hitch pin by 2 - 4 inches! Before we unhooked, there was about a 3/16 gap along the right side where the overhang starts curving downward just like the time before last with the frame problem and the front part of the edging has a 1/8 inch gap when the 5W is unhooked on the left side. IT APPEARS THAT THE REPAIRS DIDN'T WORK and we're far away from help. Will call CW in Robertsdale on Friday for help. The tech did tell us to keep an eye on it--thought it would last longer than a couple of hundred miles!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
That's just not good...hope someone on MOC has had repairs done in the area or CW makes arrangements with CW near your new location...anyone on MOC had experience with Dixie RV?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Made it from NOLA to here OK, but was worried all the time that the Montana would come apart especially on parts of I-10. Did drive slow and got 12.7 mpg! Went to CW to have them verify that the frame was indeed broken again--they were amazed that it held together. Also said that while they were discussing repairs with Keystone that they thought that the Xmember should be replaced. Researched the topic regarding a cracked xmember in a 2004 BigSky. They were told that the Xmember couldn't be repaired and that it need to be replaced with a heavier beam and didn't want the unit moved at all. That was done and they have had no problem with the frame since. Don't know why that wasn't the fix for us. Montana is now in the process of trying to decide what to do for us--a no brainer IMHO.

You can just look up in the pinbox and see the cracks on the outside of where the repair welds are. It just looks like the metal is too light or fatigued. The whole thing should be replaced. When it is hitched to the truck, the cap nearly touches the pinbox and the overhang has hit and damaged the top of the bed rail on the right side. Hope they decide fairly soon as it is driving us crazy.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes...that is not good. Here's hope that this place fixes your rig, you run trouble free for many miles, and get to visit family as planned!!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I have an 05 and now I'm worried that this will happen to me

Did this problem get FIXED IN THE 2008 models??,makes me want to trade for a newer model.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
From the limited research I was able to do, there were a couple of '05s with problems, but the bulk of the failures were 2000-04 with more '04s suffering problems.

Finally, we were told today that the parts were ordered. Lippert, Keystone and CampingWorld spent from last Thurs until now pointng fingers at each other. Got a confused phone call from CampingWorld wanting info from me that they should have known--like what parts were needed for repairs. Suggested they talk to their tech who fixed it last time. No guess as to when the parts will arrive--hope by Monday.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Parts finally here today--hope they are the right ones, not like last time. They ordered a new hitchpin box and a new cross beam member. Tomorror they start the repairs. Hope they get it done in a couple of days---don't care if it is long as long as it doesn fail again--at least as long as it takes for us to trade it off. Would like to wait until spring. Just can't trust it any more.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #18
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Just hope that person that fixes it can wield. A lot think they are wielder's but are not. They just gob it on and very little if penetration. Good luck.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #19
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
After three days of working on it, CW replaced the cross beam and pinbox and installed more gussets. Saw the old cross beam and about threw up. The beam was cracked about 80% across the beam. So happy that it held together for us. Actually we should have never moved the 5W. Montana told the Diamonds not to move their '04 BigSky with the same problem. Everyone was lucky that it didn't break apart and kill some one! Upon seeing how much higher the rig sits on the new hitchpin, don't think that it was properly repaired at the factory a couple of years ago. The more research I do, the more I think that Lippert used some bad metal in the construction of the frame---probably cheap stuff from China. The tech who did the repairs has 27 years of experience and said that he had never seen such a weakly built frame and to continue watching it.

Glad that CW came through and got it done for us at 6 pm Friday (their Christmas party started at 5 pm). The final kick to the groin was when we went to hook it up, the left jack wouldn't work. The shaft that turns the jack broke off at the end, disabling the connecting rod. Lots of swearing and some help from the CW party goers, got us hooked up and on our way. Will tackle the broken shaft after Christmas. Also after Christmas will do some serious shopping for a different brand to replace this piece of junk!