Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
How many use Discount Gas Cards? What kind?

We have Meijer stores up north and they usually have the cheapest diesel around.($3.19 now). They offer 5 cents a gallon discount if you use a Meijer card. I want to get some discount gas cards but I don't which ones to get. I have Flying 'J' 2 cent disc. What others can I get?

osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We use VISA and Discover Cash Back cards and they give back 5%, I believe the figure is, on fuel purchases. This website can help http://www.creditcards.com
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Flying "J" caters to RV'ers. They not only make it possible for you to purchase fuel, but also to park for the night...or longer! Depending upon where you travel, how frequently, etc. you will discover other major diesel chains who provide road services to the class 8 trucks that travel our highways. Be advised that, though the service provider appreciates your business, not all truckers are equally fond of your rv using their space. I have seen, and know personally, of truckers who have intentionally damaged someone's rv when it was parked in one of their spaces. Be careful where and when you purchase fuel. It may not always be in your best interest to look for the discount or cheapest fuel available. The major chains across the country are generally safe.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We use a citibank "Dividend Platinum Select" mastercard for all fuel purchases. We get 5% cashback up to $300/yr cashback. When it reaches $50 or more I can click the button and they send me a check. We've been doing this for about three years now.

That translates to 5% cashback on the first $6000/yr in fuel purchases. At $3/gallon that's like getting 15 cents off per gallon.

At Flying J I swipe the Flying J card and then the Citibank card and get botht the Flying J discount and the 5% cashback.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I used to use the AAA credit card issued by MBNB until they pulled what is becoming a more common credit card trick on me. They gave me 5% back on gas purchases (not diesel) which was pretty good. Then one day I saw a late payment fee on my bill so I looked up my payment (made electronically from my bank). It was made six days prior to the due date. I called the credit card company and the lady told me it can take up to seven days to process a payment. I'm not this stupid. A computer talking to a computer doesn't take seven days. In reality they charged me $35 late fee to get their 5% back. They would not fix the fee so the card ended up in pieces in my waste basket.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Pete, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! I can't stand the way these banks and credit card companies take every opportunity to get our money. I have one, no fee, credit card that I carry for emergencies and the other is a Credit Union, no fee, debit card. These companies get away with murder. I wish the American public would wake up and see them for what they are. I will admit that using plastic is convenient, but too many people don't know how to use them, especially the young......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That's business..The card companies count on the consumer not waking up, not reading the small print or being just plain stupid. Like the 6 months or 1 year same as cash. If you are one day over that limit you are hit with the retro active credit charges. I use that feature all the time but pay before the 6 months or one year is up.. Had a credit card company cancel my card because I kept doing that...said we could not stay in business if eveyone was like you. It is the consumers responsibility to be educated and aware of what is going on around them. Have also had a card company cancel me because i DID pay at the end of every month..The last thing a credit card company wants you to be is responsible or educated so play the game...be responsible and educated and you will beat them at their own game....Till they catch on.. Remember..it is not against any law to be irresponsible or stupid and the card companies take full advantage of that. Oh I also like the...buy 3 and get one free pitch..And how long could you stay in business if you REALLY did that...how about....The more you spend the more you save.....How can that be????? Oh well....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I use ADVANTA card ,,, they give 5% discount on all fuel , gas or diesel at any kind on station so you don't have to go to 1 brand or the other when it gets to $50.00 they send me a check
www.advanta.com 1-800-705-7255 ,,, john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote