Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Ride Rite Questions

I have heard many mention to remember to reduce the air pressure in the air bags when going into the mountains as you climb. Why. To adjust the pressure to what you need for the job or for some other reason.
Also what pressures do you normally fill yours to for what pin weight? And what do you run around town with them set to?
Also do you see them loose pressure rather quickly in a week or very gradually over a month or so? I ask as I don't run my truck but perhaps once every week to 10 days and of course all the time when we are RV'g.
Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Bob with 2100# on my hitch I like 14# in my Firestone bags. You should not go below 5# psi by the manufactures spic. I run my without the valves stems in mine. As I stated in the post under Ozz's about timbers I know that is not what the manufacture says to do. I have been known to pull the tag off the pillows too LOL. I have not seen any harm to the bags, truck, or stems. I carry extra stems with the truck.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I have not heard about the reducing of pressure in the mountains. Max allowed in them is 100#. If altitude increases the pressure one would have to have the bags almost to the max to do damage. Just remember that when you set the trailer on the hitch they will about double in pressure. I run the minimum of 5# in mine when not on the road and check them about once every six months, mine do not leak off. 20# is enough to keep the trailer level.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote