Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dewinterization Check list

I saw this article and thought I would pass it along. It has some good reminders of things to check and do during the de-winterizing process.

It's that time of year again; time to get ready for another great camping season. We need to wake the RV up from its deep winter sleep and give it a good spring check up. If we take a little time and check everything out now, the RV will be ready to go when you're ready to hit the road. In the military this is referred to as preventive maintenance. Maintenance you can perform on your RV before a problem exists. Maintenance designed to prevent or identify potential problems that could lead to mechanical breakdown, malfunction or failure of a component or system on your RV. Basically it consists of cleaning, inspecting, lubricating, adjusting and servicing your RV. Let's get started.

Depending on how your unit was winterized it will need to be de-winterized. If you used non-toxic RV antifreeze you need to run fresh water through the entire system until the antifreeze is gone. To remove it from the 12-volt water pump add water to the fresh water-holding tank, turn the pump on and open all of the water faucets. When the antifreeze is out of the system turn the pump off and take the water heater out of the by-pass mode (if applicable). Replace any water filter cartridges you removed for storage.
At this point I like to sanitize the water system. Make sure all of the drains are closed and drain plugs are installed. Take a quarter cup of household bleach for every fifteen gallons of water your fresh water tank holds. Mix the bleach with water into a one-gallon container and pour it in to the fresh water holding tank. Fill the fresh water holding tank completely full of water. Turn the pump on and run water through each hot and cold faucet, until you smell the bleach. Close the faucets and let it sit for twelve minutes. Drain all of the water and re-fill the tank with fresh water. Turn the pump on and open all faucets until you no longer smell any bleach. It may be necessary to repeat this process to eliminate all signs of bleach.
With water in the fresh water holding tank turn the 12-volt water pump on and pressurize the water system until the pump shuts off. If the water pump cycles back on, even for a short period of time, there is a leak somewhere. Locate the leak and repair it or take it to an authorized RV service center to be repaired.
Check the operation of the toilet. Add several gallons of water to the black water holding tank and treat the tank with holding tank chemicals.
Wash the unit thoroughly. This is a good time to inspect the roof, body seams, and window sealant for cracking that would allow water to get in. Inspect sealants everywhere the manufacturer cut a hole in the RV. Consult a dealer for sealants compatible with these materials.
Inspect the operation of the awning, clean and check the awning fabric for any damage.
Inspect the tires for signs of dry rot. Inflate all tires to the recommended cold tire pressure.
Lubricate all hinges and locks with spray lubricant.
Remove any tape or protective covering you may have put over LP gas vents to keep insects and rodents out. Check any mousetraps you may have put out. Open all doors and compartments and check for rodent intrusion and water damage.
Inspect and clean the interior of the RV.
Plug in any appliances that you unplugged for storage and replace any dry cell batteries you may have removed. This is a good time to put new batteries in items like smoke alarms.
Test the operation of the carbon monoxide detector, LP gas leak detector and smoke alarm.
Check the fire extinguisher. Be sure it is fully charged.
Reset any breakers you may have turned off. If you removed any fuses for storage re-install them.
Clean or replace air conditioner filters if it wasn't done prior to storage and remove any covers that were put over air conditioners.
Open vents and windows and air the unit out.
If you removed the coach and chassis batteries for storage install them. Whether they were removed or not check the electrolyte levels, clean the terminals and clamps, and check the state of charge in all batteries. Recharge batteries as necessary.
Check the operation of the electric steps if applicable. Lubricate step mechanism.
Test the operation of the hydraulic jacks if applicable. Check hydraulic fluid level.
Test the operation of the back up camera and monitor if applicable.
If you didn't change the oil and filters in the generator prior to storage this is a good time to do it. Inspect the generator exhaust system for any damage prior to starting it. Start and run the generator for one hour with at least a half rated load on it. Consult the generators owner manual for proper load ratings.
Turn the generator off and plug the unit in to shore power. Turn the refrigerator on in the electric mode. Allow sufficient time for it to cool and check for proper operation.
Check all 12-volt interior lights and accessories.
Test the monitor panel for proper operation.
Check the operation of slide outs if applicable.
Check the remaining 120-volt appliances for proper operation.
Test the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) for proper operation.
Turn the refrigerator off, leave the doors open and allow sufficient time for it to get to room temperature so it can be checked in the gas mode.
Before I use the LP gas system I have a leak test and gas operating pressure test preformed. A qualified technician with the proper equipment should do these tests.
Turn the LP gas valve on and check the operation of all LP gas appliances. Be sure the water heater is full of water before testing the water heater. If a gas appliance is not operating properly have it inspected by a qualified technician. Insects are attracted to the odorant added to LP gas and build nests that can affect the appliance from operating properly.
If your unit was in long-term storage and you didn't change the engine oil and filter prior to storage this would be a good time to do it.
Check all fluid levels in the transmission, power steering, engine coolant, engine oil, windshield washer and brakes. Consult vehicle owner's manual.
Start the engine and check for proper readings on all gauges. Check for proper operation of the dash air conditioner.
Chassis lubrication should be preformed if it wasn't done prior to storage.
Check the condition of windshield wiper blades and replace if necessary.
Check the operation of all chassis lights.
Make sure the vehicle emissions / inspection sticker is up to date.
In addition to this if you have a pop up or travel trailer the wheel bearings and brakes (if equipped) should be inspected at least once annually. Inspect any canvas for dry rot and tears; inspect all hitch work and the coupler for any damage. Inspect the breakaway switch and pigtail for proper operation.
It really doesn't take a lot of time to get your RV ready for another camping season, and you can rest assured that when it's time to go camping your RV is ready too. Now for the fun part, load your clothes, food, and personal belongings, hit the road and have fun exploring this wonderful country we live in.

Happy Camping!

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thanks Dave,

That is a very thorough and informative post. I'm sure it will help lots of MOC'rs, myself included.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for a great article and I will be doing the de-winterizing thing this weekend so your timing is right on.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Ah yes - spring has finally sprung.
Thanks for that reminder...looks like I'll be able to get some bleach out pretty soon here.
I sure wish I had a drain at home so I could flush out my water system without having to pull it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

WOW! It'd almost be time to start winterizing again by the time I got through that bad boy! I guess I kind of go through most of that but it sure looks longer when you see it all written out.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Great timing Dave! Good comprehensive list. My generator will serve as the engine in the Motorhome.

This is not the kind of check you want to do the day before you are leaving - lot of failure points that will put you in the repair mode or even service center mode.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I forgot to mention, sorry folks this is a long one...

It was all bulleted points, but to save space I reformatted the article. Again, Sorry for the hours worth of reading...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote