Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #21
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Don't look for an increase in fuel mileage with louvered tailgates. I think it was the University of Colorado did a wind tunnel study on louvered tailgates and mesh tailgates. mileage remained the same or went down. Go figure!

kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #22
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Any bed cover and a louvered tailgate are not going to mix well. The benefit of the cover will always be compromised. I have had my Fold A Cover for 2 1/2 years, and have had no problems with it. I wipe out the key pockets when I wash the truck, and shoot a bit of WD40 in the key slot periodically during the winter to prevent freezing. Did forget once, and a quick shot of WD thawed it immediately. Still using the original key. One thing I do have to do is bungy cord the hitch so it doesn't swing upward with the cover closed. Takes about 5 seconds. This I would have to deal with no matter what cover I was using.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #23
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
In addition I have now received a phone call from Bob Brammer, one of the owners. They are going to send me a new tailgate via UPS ASAP. Bob admitted something is wrong with the unit I purchased. During the phone call we were able to verify that I did have the right model and parts installed on the tailgate for my 2003 F250.

Now after looking at this particular tailgate I can see where the manufacturing defect is. The round donut on the left bottom side is welded in the wrong position in comparison to the one on the right side. The welding fixture must have slipped or the left bracket wasn't properly inserted in the welding fixture during production. It also appears the the blow molded plastic part didn't get properly cured as well. There are at least two manufacturing defects on this particular tailgate. Bob, mentioned that some of the parts they use come from an ISO 2000 certified manufacturer but are having more quality issues with that supplier than some of their other non-certified suppliers. Having gone through the process of successfully achieving an ISO 9000 certification, I do know that is possible to fail if the proper procedural discipline is not maintained. And it takes honestly committed employees and management too! Quality has to be a passion.

Anyway, as disappointed as I am in theis defective product I am impressed how the company follows up and admits their mistakes. And tries to make it right. On Sunday as well. But it should not have happened to begin with.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #24
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Here are some pictures of my defective tailgate:

http://public.fotki.com/deanvp/trave...7/az/tailgate/

Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #25
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Gruce, That is a true labor of love. That is the best looking gate I have seen to-date. Great job,,be proud.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Garin1, Thanks, it did take abit of work. By the way the latch is on the inside of the tailgate and does lock.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #27
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
WOW! Bruce, you are a true craftsman. That definately is a "custom"
tailgate. Fantastic job. My former leadman at my sheetmetal shop I worked at made flow thru tailgate out of stainless steel complete with Chevy emblem on it. Looked great.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #28
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Update: I have received a replacement tailgate from Stromberg Carlson at no out of pocket cost to me. The replacement does now fit and is functional. The president of S/C was totally involved and very responsive. The replacement tailgate isn't perfect but is good enough to use. The ends do not match well with the edges of the truck bed. On the left end the gap varies from about 1/4" to 3/4" while the right side is much better. The tailgate also seems to bow down a bit in the center in reference to the bed of the truck. It also bows toward the front of the bed a bit. I suspect this is the best that I'm going to be able to achieve with a blow molded product.

Stromberg Carlson also sent me a new replacement RV door handle since ours was beginning to get ugly due to chipped paint right where one grabs on to the handle to enter the RV. Easy installation and replacement.
They also sent us a $25.00 check to partially offset the difficulties we have had. I am impressed in the way S/C handled this problem. I just expected a little better product than what I finally ended up with. I wish I could compliment Montana in a similar way on the way they have handled our warrantly issues on our late 2006 3400RL. Camping World took 4 days to respond to my original report of a defective tailgate purchase and then washed their hands of any reponsibility. Not very professional or impressive. My second bad experience with them.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #29
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I bought the same tailgate a year ago because the finish is the same as my spray in bed liner and it matches. I have been very happy with it and have also had very good customer service from this company (Stromberg-Carlson). As long as you understand the limitations of this gate you will be very happy with it. For the price it is a good product.

I guess I had better start using spell check!
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #30
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

I noticed on the 07 Chevy brochure that the tail gate has a device that assist in lowering and raising the T-gate.

I just install a torsion bar on my Dodge TG. I purchased it from my dealer when i bought the trailer. Took about 10 mins to install. I had to take off the gate, drill two holes, and put the gate back on with the torsion bar. DW can close the gate with one finger now.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #31
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kmh3212

Don't look for an increase in fuel mileage with louvered tailgates. I think it was the University of Colorado did a wind tunnel study on louvered tailgates and mesh tailgates. mileage remained the same or went down. Go figure!
I just watched the Mythbusters episode that tested that. They got 30 mile/tank extra with the gate UP. Go figure.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have seen and heard all the pro's and con's of a louvered tailgate. More MPG, Less MPG, More Drag, less drag..Then I remembered why we purchased the V tailgate...To prevent us from backing through the OEM tailgate..It does that job, the job it was designed to do, prefectly.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote