Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Newbie with questions

We have our new 07 3075 on order and a new Dodge 3500 MegaCab on order with 4.10s.

My questions are: What hitch do you guys recommend and what brake controler?

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

We have our new 07 3075 on order and a new Dodge 3500 MegaCab on order with 4.10s.

My questions are: What hitch do you guys recommend and what brake controler?
Before you know it you'll be on the road! Welcome!
You will get a ton of opinions for hitches and controllers. There are a lot of good hitches on the market as well as pin box adapters. I'm partial to the TrailerSaver hitch (www.trailersaver.com) and the Prodigy controller. With the TrailerSaver, I don't need a pinbox adapter and I can move my hitch to another truck, should I decide to buy another one. Many of the new trucks come with their own controller. MOR/ryde sells a good controller as do many other companies.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Everybody has their favorite hitch and brake control, and you will get a lot of opinions. Did you order a short or long bed truck? If short, Dodge has the shortest of all three trucks and you will probably need a sliding hitch. We have a standard Draw-Tite hitch and don't have any problems with the ride. As for the brake controller, I can't be any help there, we have the built-in controller.

There is hitch shop here in Paradise that has really good prices (Ken's Hitch & Welding), it might be worth a ride up the hill to check his prices.

We have had RVs for over 20 years, and I have learned a lot in the last 10 months from the MOC group. If I can be any help to you, let me know.

Don
877-6094
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Thanks for the reply Don. I do know Ken's have bought some stuff from them in the past. We have the Mega Cab on order and it has the 6.5 ft bed. When talking with the factory rep for Montana he seemed to think we would not need a sliding hitch. Are you pl;anning on going to the rally at Lake Siskiou? We thought we might go with our tent trailer as our truck and trailer wont be here by then? I assume they would let us in even though we don't ahve our rig yet.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would highly suggest going with a Superglide automatic sliding hitch. The mega cab has the shortest distance from the center of the rear axle to the back window. (shortest bed on the market) The old 16K Superglide is gone, but the new 18K will do the job and is now cheaper than the previous 16k. There are folks who have the GM and Ford short bed truck (larger beds then the mega cab) with the new front end and they are still saying you need a sliding hitch. It is my opinion, but going with a sliding hitch will be cheaper then the repair bill for fixing the truck and coach if the two were to ever meet.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We would really like to go to Lake Siskiou this year, but will not be able to, maybe next year. The campground has many tent sites. I am sure the group will welcome you into the Montana area, should be a lot of fun and great people. Being around all those Montana's will make you even more anxious to get yours.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
We have a 20003 Dodge quad cab with the short bed. During our shakedown outing this weekend, one of the things I wanted to check was the proximity of the cap to the cab of the truck. Although the cap on the 2007 does provide a greater turning radius, I could definitely see the potential for the two meeting, especially if the truck and rig were not on level ground. I was able to get to approximately 60 to 70 degrees but was not comfortable going much beyond that. I have a slider hitch and will prefer being safer than sorry.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
We have a 2006 2500 Mega cad short bed and a 319BHT Mountaineer. I had the 18k Superglide installed and absolutely love it. There have been several times that I know I would have hit the cab without it, plus I don't have to get out and fool with it to turn. The extra price is well worth the peace of mind for me. another added bonus is that when I take it out of the truck, nothing is left except for 4 2" holes.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We have a shortbed Dodge with a Hitchhiker Hitch and Prodigy brake controller.

With the new cap (30% more turn radius) we have not had any problems NOT having the slider hitch.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
vtspencers
Established Member

M.O.C. #5500
We have a long bed dodge 2500, towing an RL3500.

We are using a Reeses 16K and a Prodigy brake controller. We also have a Trailair Pinbox on the rv. The shock/air bag combination smooths out the road connection to the truck, making for a lot less jolting between truck and unit. We hit some pretty nasty sections of Rt 20 in east Texas on our trip west late last month. So bad it deployed the rv stairs. I couldn't imagine how that might have felt without the trailaire pin. Just a thought.

Jim
vtspencers is offline   Reply With Quote