Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Pellet Stove

Was reading all the post about the cold and all the neat ways to make a Monty more effecent. My question is, would it be possible to install a pellet stove as an alternative heat source and just use the central heat fan to circulate the warm air? Do you think Keystone would consider research on this possibility? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I would consider it "highly unlikely" pellet and corn stoves burn way too hot. I've got one that recommends you put it 24 to 30 inches from nearest wall also recommends metal under and behind it as a safety shield.
I put this unit out in my 40 x 80 welding shed and it heats it up quite nicely. Time and temps = quality of heat 0 - 10 degrees have it on for at least an hour before working and you'll be good to go.
There may be smaller units but I've never found one small enough for the RV or 400 sq ft
chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We used a Wave 6 catalytic heater for 4 years until this year. While in Quartzite, AZ we picked up a Legacy Blue Flame heater from Grandma' Heaters. It provides 20,000 BTU's. Plenty of heat for our rig. It sure out does the catalytic heater. We only run the furnace when we are going to have freezing temps at night in order to keep the pipes from freezing in the belly of the rig. The heater uses a lot less propane than the furnace does.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I would love to see a pellet stove built for an RV, be good for fulltimers staying put for winter because fuel is heavy at 40 pounds a bag. I am heating my 3000 sq ft stick house with my Harman pellet insert. I love the thing and it is made in the USA and the best insert on the market. It will heat this house very well as low as 40 F. When we get colder than that I have to use my wood furnace as well. It is a combination wood/oil furnace but oil costs too much.

Pellet and corn stoves are the most efficient solid fuel burners on the planet and even the tree huggers love them. With half of my provinces's wood being destroyed by the pine beetle, wood pellets are being produced here in BC.

Maybe someone will start making RV pellet stoves and these things could be pretty small and safe if the RV was designed for one. They also give a real fire ambience and for years my big downstairs family room was never used in the winter because it was too cool down there. The pellet insert in the fireplace has turned it into the most used room in the house.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We used a Wave 6 catalytic heater for 4 years until this year. While in Quartzite, AZ we picked up a Legacy Blue Flame heater from Grandma' Heaters. It provides 20,000 BTU's.
Excellent idea Orv! How do you supply propane to the heater?

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have a Englander pellet stove in my stick house. I like it and it does all the things already mentioned. I mix 25% corn into my wood pellets as corn is cheaper yet and burns hotter. As far as incorporating one in an RV ... weight, required venting, required space taken up by said stove, underlayment, added insurance liability, and secure storage area required for pellet bags will more than likely prevent any RV industry consideration. Explaining secure storage ... in my area, if you simply stack your pellet bags in back of your house, they won't be there long ... kinda like just leaving your surge guard swinging from the power box.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
Thanks Orv, that looks like a great option for some real heat in an RV.

Mike
Mike-n-Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sandymom

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We used a Wave 6 catalytic heater for 4 years until this year. While in Quartzite, AZ we picked up a Legacy Blue Flame heater from Grandma' Heaters. It provides 20,000 BTU's.
Excellent idea Orv! How do you supply propane to the heater?

Mike
Mike,
We had it plumbed in by Camping World four years ago when we bought the Wave 6 Catalytic. Just used the same disconnect fittings. I had a place in Quartzite make me a 10' hose that allows me to move the heater around, if need be. So far, sitting it in the far corner of the living room heats the whole house. In our rig, the hot water heater is right under the sink so they cut into the line and put in a tee and then ran tubing down near the floor and put a quick disconnect on it.

Incidentally, the Wave 6 heater works well, just not well enough for this big rig and how we use it. I'm selling the heater for $25 at the Escapees Spring Escapade in Stockton, CA during the week of April 22-27 (nasty plug, huh?).

Orv
Old 02-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Orv: We have a wave 3 for a couple of years now but it is a little small sometimes. What did the blue flame cost? How much vent do you leave open for it. May be in Stockton ourselves. Are in Casa Grande for a few more days. Hugs
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Orv: We have a wave 3 for a couple of years now but it is a little small sometimes. What did the blue flame cost? How much vent do you leave open for it. May be in Stockton ourselves. Are in Casa Grande for a few more days. Hugs
The Blue Flame cost $270 and the 10' hose was #20. We only run the heater when we first get up in the morning and off and on during the day when we don't have access to shore power. When we're on shore power we use electric heaters (Big Cube). As for vents, we leave the bathroom vent cracked about 1/4" and the vent over the range open. Just the same as when we had the Wave heater going.

Orv