Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
weight stations

When going up to Indiana, we past several weigh stations. Were we to pull over and get weighed like trucks or just "fly-by". I had my grandfather with me that use to drive trucks and he did not know the answer...

The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
You do not have to stop at weight stations as they are for commercial vehicles only for tax assessments. I have never stopped at one, and have never seen an RV at one. Maybe other folks have!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Personally, unless told otherwise, I stay as far away from government people as i can. Iv'e heard that some weiggh stations will do a courtesy weigh for RV's. That would be the last place i would go. Just an opinion from someone who spent his career in Government contacting, Sorry to be so cynical
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Koalityman
Established Member

M.O.C. #4872
I asked a California Highway Patrolman and he said no, the scales are for commercial vehicles and are taxed by the weight.
Koalityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You can fly by.

Once, many years ago, with another RV we stopped and had it weighed. The ONLY reason we stopped is cause there were NO trucks in there. Would not want to interfere with their time which reflects to their earnings.

Since then we have used CAT scales, again, when no commercial haulers are around, for same reason, (it is a matter of respect, in our minds), and paid the fee required.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I saw a few different rv's pulled into the weight station lines on the way down to California. Actually it looked so out of the ordinary it somewhat surprised me, got to wondering if something had changed that I was not aware of.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Montana_5612
Established Member

M.O.C. #5612
In California recreational vehicles do NOT have to stop at weigh stations. The reason for them is to ensure commercial vehicles are not driving over weight and to randomly inspect them to ensure they are safe on the highway.
Montana_5612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
In BC (British Columbia) Canada, only commercial vehicles are required to stop at the Government weigh scales but every now and then the GVWR police will be doing checks and they pull you into the weigh scale for that.

The positive thing they do is leave the scales open after hours and you can go down in the evenings and weigh your vehicles.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Do they leave them on in the US when they are closed also? Can you see the numbers from outside?
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:21 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I saw a few different rv's pulled into the weight station lines on the way down to California. Actually it looked so out of the ordinary it somewhat surprised me, got to wondering if something had changed that I was not aware of.
More often than not they are RVers that don't know they are not required to stop. Back when I was driving truck I would see pick up trucks pulling into the scales. Their explanation was they saw the sign "All Trucks Must Enter Scales" and they were driving a truck.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If you are in a state that requires all commercial vehicles to stop at the weigh station, the vehicle you saw may have been an rv transporter.A lot more transporters on the road this time of the year, than regular rv folks. I transport part time ,and when I have my company magnet sign on and I am transporting a rv, I must stop if the sign reads all commercial vehicles. If the sign reads over 8 tons then I go by.I have pulled into some when I was not sure and the guys just waved me through. All this is up to the different states.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I work for a trucking company and Indiana D.O.T. is just down the street from us. They even send their rookie officers to our place for training. Trust me - they do not want RV's of any kind pulling into the scales - their concern is with commercial vehicles hauling freight for hire that is over-loaded trying to make an extra buck or they have a list of "bad" companies that tend to over-work their drivers and they are interested in their log books or the private contractors that in this day and time the only way they can make money is over loaded and running more hours than legal.
Our trucks have the "pass" tag in them that before they reach the scales authorizes them to by-pass the scales because of our good record of minimum overloads and driver hours viloations.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well thank goodness, that is one thing I do not want to start dealing with. I did not think things had changed since I last checked, but after seeing a few rv's in line to be weighed I started to wonder.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #14
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
One more thing, if you are interested in how much your unit weights, pay the 7 bucks at a truck stop vs pulling into a D.O.T. scale house and have them weigh you. If they wanted to get nasty they could pull you around back and do an inspection on your unit - they can always find something wrong.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
As I understand, if you are delivering an RV trailer from the mfgr to dealer you are commercial and may have to stop.

Talked to few people that make these deliveries and it is a hassle on who pays. Some companies will pay while others expect the driver to take it out of his fee.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote