Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Bees and wasp protection

We are getting the wire covers for the furnace exhaust and water tank exhaust. What do you do about the two vents behind the refrigerator? or do the bugs leave that area alone?
Myrna

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don put metal screen on two fridge vents. Also on water heater vent.
Took the covers off and put screen on there and then replaced covers.
(Our fridge is in one of the slide outs so we have two outside vents on our fridge.)
We also put the round furnace screens on like you did.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've not done anything with the fridge vents. It hasn't been a problem so far but I may give some thought to putting some screen behind them.

If your area is prone to mud daubers / wasps, put a rag or something to block the opening in the water access door, where the hose connects. Last summer I opened that door after a month and found a mud dauber nest. It's mostly gone now but there is some mud I still can't get out of there.

Also, spray a house type insect repellant into the pinbox. Mud Daubers like to get up into the insulation in the nose to build a nest. At the Keystone service center they showed me that on one they had the nose cap off.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks Steve, hadn't thought about the pin box. I bought some aluminum screening to put on the frig vents. When cutting it you have to watch those aluminum splinters... Bob got one in his thumb. I put a wider piece on, replaced the vent and then trimmed around it. It took a little doing but it is done..
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:15 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I keep a couple of moth balls in the fridge compartment (when I remember). My biggest problem is something (some kind of wasp) loading up the groove in my awning with grass - complete with food for the larva or whatever when they hatch. I have to clean it out with a knife and it stinks !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote