Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Grille Guard?

We are head to Alaska this summer. What are thoughts on the need for a grille guard to protect the radiator?

BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Highly recommend it. I drove my old Jeep truck (J10) to Alaska and back waaay back in 1979.
Didn't hit any large animals but I saw the results of a couple who did and it wasn't pretty! You'll still have damage, but it may save your engine if you get one that is sufficiently stout.
Also VERY highly recommend a clear Lexan bug deflector for the leading edge of the hood to help deflect the MASSIVE amounts of bugs (and possibly gravel) that will hit your windshield. Very important...I bought a tall version and had it mounted on my grill guard. Completey coated with all kinds of bugs by the end of the day...windshield relatively clean.
Put some heavy duty screen material over the grill and/or grill guard for the same reason.
Drive safely, be extra diligent...especially if you drive at night (not recommended). Of course, you will most likely have extra long daylight hours so it probably won't be an issue (unless of course you go up in the winter )
Old 04-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Trip to alaska

We towed a fifth wheel up there and back with no issues and ne extra equipment on my truck except mud flaps to protect trailer. I say people in road construction zones following the vehicle ahead close eating dust and rocks. In the military we were taught to stay back outside of the dust. Slow down in construction zones and you should be ok. The roads are not much different than in the lower 48, it's when they tear up a road for repairs that it gets interesting . 100 miles on the Alaskan hwy we came upon a accident they stopped traffic and were asking folks to call and send help when they got to the first business with a phone. The air rescue flew in over 200 miles to get the injured out. That was a good lesson to slow down and understand your on your own if you have trouble. That being said the trip was great and I'd do it again without looking like a rolling tank.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
No grill guard needed. We have been up to The Yukon and Alaska 6 times and have even driven up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, Nt which is a gravel/shale road, and have never had a flat tire, glass, or body damage of any kind to the truck or 5th wheel. Also have driven the Dalton Highway up to The Arctic Circle, no damage but a lot of mud as it had rained. Since we live in bug country, I put a screen behind the grill to prevent bugs from plugging up the radiator.

Don't worry too much, just go and enjoy the trip.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote