Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #61
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Anybody that has ever read any of your posts knows that you think DRW should be the ONLY TOW VEHICLE EVER. Is it possible that you can try stating your opinion without being insulting or condescending ?
He may sound insulting and condescending (and so do I on occasion) but the facts are the facts. Any one towing a heavy fifth wheel (15k+) should be doing so using the right truck. And that my friend is a dually…..

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #62
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
My friend's uncle's girl friend's, step father's, first wife's new husband pulls his 19K Mobile Suite with his 150/1500 short bed and it handles fine, don't even know it's back there.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #63
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
One can tow with a srw... it's the weight in the bed that says a dually is recommended..that's it..some Montana's have a higher pin weight..some not as much..I dont know if ones better than the other..cant say..stw are fine with many fivers.. Duallys are necessary if the weight dictates..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #64
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My last comment.
I don’t think any SRW owner ever said their SRW was a better tow truck than a DRW. If I am wrong please point me to that post. I don’t think any SRW owner ever said their SRW was more stable than any DRW. If I am wrong on that point please point me to that post. And I don’t think any SRW owner ever advocated towing a 5er that exceeded the ratings for their SRW truck. Again, .....

I have repeatedly said if the weights dictate a DRW then a DRW is the correct truck. If the weights fall within the capabilities of an SRW then it becomes personal choice. I (and others) have also said that their SRW towing their Monte is very stable in less than ideal conditions, pulls mountain grades with no problem, and likewise stops with no problem. I am sure some people are more sensitive to movement and feel more comfortable with a DRW. Some simply like a DRW. And I am sure some simply think it is “cool”. But that doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same about any of those.

Yes you can always park a DRW on the outer edges of a parking lot, IF it is a large or lightly used lot. But becomes a problem at many medical offices and small businesses with small tight lots with narrow spaces and narrow drives. And the DRW will fit thru drive thrus. But there are some around here with turns entering them that a DRW is going to jump the curb, or will require some back and forth moves to avoid it. And as far as eating inside my truck, I have yet to find an automatic car wash that washes the inside of my truck. And the DRW gets just as dirty as the SRW on the outside. And there is no automatic car wash around here where they will allow you thru with a DRW. The tires will not fit between the guide rails.

Accept the fact that a DRW is not needed to tow every 5er on the road. If the weights are right then the SRW is more than adequate. It becomes a simple personal choice. And many simply do not like or want a DRW. I always post about my personal experiences. I am never so arrogant as to try to push my personal choice as being the best choice for everyone else. To each his own.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #65
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Haven't met a drive-thru I couldn't get through yet, I'm sure they are out there but that's what curbs and planters are for, should have made it bigger.
For all the possible hassle of squeezing into a Drive thru... I prefer to just park it and walk in. The few minutes I might be inconvenienced is not a deal breaker for buying the dually, since I bought it tow first. Can't get it into a car wash? Not a deal breaker either IMHO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #66
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Good grief, it isn't about what you drive! It's about RECOMMENDATIONS to a NEWBEE!

Telling someone with no towing experience that they will be fine in something that is just barely meeting the standards instead of recommending they get a vehicle with a reasonable amount of safety cushion is just wrong! If YOU do it that's your biz but don't recommend that folks that don't know any better follow you off the cliff.

My other point is that we should be RECOMMENDING trucks based on their towing capability NOT how convenient they are at fitting thru car washes and such. DOING THE JOB SAFELY is the primary objective and everything else is secondary to that period! When you buy a 38'+ camper your buying into the fact that safety dictates some compromises on your part when it comes to the tow vehicle and that should be communicated to new folks upfront so they can make informed and SAFE choices.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #67
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
My friend's uncle's girl friend's, step father's, first wife's new husband pulls his 19K Mobile Suite with his 150/1500 short bed and it handles fine, don't even know it's back there.
Is that so, but I`ll bet he still can`t get thru a drive through with his camper hooked up.LOLLOL
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #68
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Ya just cant fix stupid !!!
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #69
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Good grief, it isn't about what you drive! It's about RECOMMENDATIONS to a NEWBEE!

Telling someone with no towing experience that they will be fine in something that is just barely meeting the standards instead of recommending they get a vehicle with a reasonable amount of safety cushion is just wrong! If YOU do it that's your biz but don't recommend that folks that don't know any better follow you off the cliff.

My other point is that we should be RECOMMENDING trucks based on their towing capability NOT how convenient they are at fitting thru car washes and such. DOING THE JOB SAFELY is the primary objective and everything else is secondary to that period! When you buy a 38'+ camper your buying into the fact that safety dictates some compromises on your part when it comes to the tow vehicle and that should be communicated to new folks upfront so they can make informed and SAFE choices.

Very well said
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #70
MxBound
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23272
Here's our 2002 Ford F350 and our 374FL Montana. I'm not wanting more truck. All the 374FL does, is level me.
MxBound is offline   Reply With Quote