Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Slide Out Creep

On our 2006 Monty, the bedroom hydraulic slide out randomly creeps out or partially open about 4 inches. I have checked the fittings on the pump and they look good and are tight. Where is the bedroom hydraulic cylinder located--inside under the bed?? Mine hydraulic fluid does not appear to be going down in the pump tank.

timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Is it all the time or only after you've been set up for a longer period of time then bring them in and move on... Ours does it after the slides have been out for an extended period of time, we then pull them in and they will creep out again, generally once I pull them in again they stay in place however a couple times they have not. The last couple times I brought them in and then took them back out a couple times then brought them in again and they stayed in place with no creep. Thinking a valve slowly passes similar to tractors, backhoes and other heavy equipment when they sit for periods of time... If used all the time not an issue......... could be wrong though.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our 2010 I had to replace the valve gang behind the outdoor switches. After that it stopped.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
My 2005 had the same problem. The hydraulic cylinder for that slide was bad. Had it replaced at the dealer and all was well.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Our issue occurs when the unit has set for several months. Last year, it appeared after driving about 30 miles. We stopped and moved the slide that was out about 4 inches back in. Did not happen again on a 3 month--3500 mile trip. So--I am guessing it is more a factor of being 12 years old and not used continually. I may have the unit checked next year when we go in for other stuff (that has not happened yet!)
Thanks for the ideas!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
My owners manual suggest cycling the slide in and back out every couple of weeks if the slides are to be extended for long periods. Another option is to get under slide and wipe off the rod. The oil film tends to collect abrasive dust.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
In our case, the slides are "in" when this occurs when in storage for an extended amount of time. I do inspect the slide rods when the unit slides are extended. So far -- everything is working well enough. Thanks for ideas!
Or go camping more!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I know this is an older thread... catching up here, but my '04 does the same thing when in winter storage in ND. Cold, outside storage. It usually occurs when there is a significant temperature swing, like say a 30˚ warm up.

I just hook up the battery and pull them back in. Usually it is only the BR slide that moves.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote