Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Fire Place In a 3075 Floorplan

And they said it couldn't be done!!! I recently installed an electric fireplace in my '08 3075 Montana. I located a "thin" fireplace and installed it in the panel just under the TV. And no, I didn't move the water heater. It did take some modification but looks quite nice. I am not good at posting photos on the forum but if interested, send me a PM and I will email some photos.

Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
can you pass along the model of it? Or the dimensions. I have been trying to find something to fit in our 2950rk. thanks
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Racerjoe, Here is the website. It is 5 1/4 inches deep. It is the Burley 537ur. I did have to modify the trim surround to space it for the slide to clear it. If interested I can provide more details.

http://www.electricfireplaces.com/wallmount.htm#Black
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
thanks for the info. I did not think about using a wall unit. good idea
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Nice job, Bruce!

It's too not difficult. I installed fireplaces in my last two 5th wheels. Fortunately, my 08 Montana came with one!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
It looks like the one that I had the dealer install as part of the purchase package. It works very well and I use it in the mornings to take the chill off and to supplement the heat in the winter.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Bruce - I also have a 3075RL and would like to see your pictures and installation info. I will PM you with my e-mail address.
There are a number of free photo sharing websites available. Easy to use. photobucket.com is one commonly used. You can load your photos to that web site, then post the url link(s) to your photos here so others can view them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Another one that is quite nice and will fit in the cabinet below the TV set with some minor fitting is;

Twin Star Fireplace Insert. I put in the Model 18EF010GAA. It uses 12.5 amps at 1500 watts. Does a great job and looks great too. I have it on a dedicated circuit.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Bruce and Janette, we also have a 3057RL. We sent you a PM for the pics. We really look forward to either your e-mail or posting of pics on the Net. We had wondered if that were possible. Thanks so much for the info.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Bruce, thank you so much for your detailed e-mail. I hope you don't mind, but your pictures and info was so good that I took it upon myself to post them for you. I'm sure many will benefit from your efforts. Your e-mail and pictures are below.
Sharon

'Hi Dick,
The fireplace I used was a Burley model 537. The website is: http://www.electricfireplaces.com/wallmount.htm#Black
As you can see on the photos, I do not have a central vac. The Monty did come with a hole cut for one and a cover as you can see. I expect they cut it during the build and then realized I had not ordered one. I was glad that I did have the hole and couldn't have done the installation without one.
The installation did not require cutting anything on the trim of the Monty. I gently knocked out the panel under the TV. The panel actully could be replaced and it would look like nothing happened. The large panel was a separate piece from the one where the vac is. I did not have to cut the trim peice (1 x 3) at the botton of the cab. In fact I had to raise the fireplace up by screwing a one inch board to the base that the water heater sets on. The fireplace out of the box can be free standing, hang on the wall, or can be recessed in an opening. I recessed it some. There is not enough room to recess it all the way. I bent a piece of steel in an L shape to fit under the lip on the recessed part of the fireplace and screwed it to the one inch board mentioned above.
Now for the hard part. As I mentioned, the fireplace can be used free standing therefore it comes with about a four inch surround to make it flush with the wall. Since I recessed mine some so the living room slide would clear it I had to cut down the surround by about two inches. I used a band saw cut it down and then welded the flanges back on. Now before your get discourged by the fact the you may not have a welder the same thing could be done with wood!!! The fireplace comes with a flimsy cable to anchor it. I didn't used it. I used the same concept but bought some good cable, some cable clamps, a turnbuckle, a pully and a long eyebolt. I attached the cable to the sides of the fireplace with the clamps and turnbuckle. Getting the right amount of cable a few trys. I got access to the back of the water heater compartment in the basement by removing the wall board with the angle in the basement. I drilled a hole for the eyebolt thru the aluminum one inch square tubing. This allows for the eyebolt with the cable attached to be inserted thru the hole and tightened. This keeps the top tight against the cabinet and the bottow is held with the by the L shaped bracket.
I did run a separate 110v power source from the fuse box. Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't take photos during construction. If things aren't clear enough maybe I could send some sketches.
Bruce"

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote