Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Hard wired surge protector - where to install?

I will not be picking up my new Montana Mountaineer until March but I have been doing extensive reading and research on what I am going to need to add to it and the common consensus is that a surge protector is highly desirable. This raised some questions for me.

Firstly, I note that on my Mountaineer the power input receptacle is on the back of the RV. Does this make sense from the point of view of where the power hook-ups are in most camp grounds and if not not has anyone moved theirs and where to?

Secondly, I think I would prefer to install a hard-wired surge suppressor so that it is just one more thing that doesn't have to be hooked up every time and cannot be pinched. This raises the question of where do you install it if the hook-up is on the back of the RV? Does anyone know where the 50A wiring goes from the input receptacle and where the best place to put the surge protector is?

Thanks
Craig

KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I have the 324RLQ (I think they are similar)

My power comes in at the same place (left rear) - so far, it's been convenient, but I've only been in 3 or 4 CG's so far

I installed my surge protector inside that small triangular box inside the rig where the power and water lines come in (it was a VERY tight fit)

I figure that I don't really need to see the lights on the unit (if I do, 3 screws remove that cover)

It was tough getting those wires cut, then routed properly that everything fit and the cover would fit back in place, but it's out of the way, and I'll never "forget" to hook it up when setting up (like you could do with the portable ones)

EDIT: By the way - welcome to the forum, and to the Mountaineer brand - I'm sure you'll love it!

kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Where is your circuit breaker panel located?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We have the 3500RL model and there was more than enough room too mount it behind the circuit panel, which made it easy to hook up. There was a lot of slack in the power feed going to the panel, so I cut about a foot and a half off, ran the line to the surge/voltage device, and used the short piece of wire to run from the device to the circuit panel.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thank you for your responses. Until I pick up the rig I am working off memory and pictures so forgive my ignorance:

kilch123, where is the "small triangular box inside the rig where the power and water lines come in" that you refer to.

Tom S, by circuit panel do you mean the panel inside the rig that has the circuit breakers and tank indicators etc.

Cheers
Craig

Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I have a 3465sa. I installed the protector behind the basement wall. The incoming wire comes through the floor there. I cut the wire mounted the surge protector and cut a hole in the wall to see the display. Not sure if I still have pics in my link I will check.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
the pics are there. just click the link in my signature and once in shutterfly just scroll down to the mods.

hope this helps, kevin
Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thanks Kevin, that is really useful. I see that Keystone are not too concerned about being particularly tidy with their plumbing and wiring in places you are not supposed to see, are they!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I put my Surge Guard Plus behind the basement wall, under the stairs, next to the converter. It was a convenient place for my layout. Mine has a remote display, but I haven't decided where to put that yet.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I spent hours under there trying to make things right. I was shocked at what I found. Loose connections, wires pulled around sharp frame corners, water line rubbing, furness connections and ductwork falling apart and just a lot of other things that were just wrong. I said it before and I'll say it again. If you are able, get behind the basement wall and spend some time. JUST DO IT.

kevin
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KiwiRVer

Firstly, I note that on my Mountaineer the power input receptacle is on the back of the RV. Does this make sense from the point of view of where the power hook-ups are in most camp grounds and if not not has anyone moved theirs and where to?

Thanks
Craig
You'll find just about all 5er's have them at the rear. Most of the campgrounds we've been in have the power post located anywhere from the center of the site to the rear. I don't remember anybody moving one. Most folks carry a second power cable to use like an extension, usually 30A. The power cable in the rig is a 3 wire [6 gauge I think] plus ground, the same that is used in a stick house.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Craig,

On our trailer, the fuse panel (12 volts) and circuit breaker panel (120 volts) is located at the trailer entrance. Removing the screws that hold them in place allowed me to pull them out quite a ways - there was a lot of extra wire length behind them. The panels are mounted several inches above the floor which gave me room to mount the surge/voltage protector on the floor behind them. Hope that answers your question!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
My elec and batt boxes are located in the entry way. I installed mine in the coat closet above them, as everyone had said there is plenty of slack in the wire to reach the protector, you will need a piece of wire to go back the electric box.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gitrdun

My elec and batt boxes are located in the entry way. I installed mine in the coat closet above them, as everyone had said there is plenty of slack in the wire to reach the protector, you will need a piece of wire to go back the electric box.
There was so much extra slack in mine, I cut off a piece and used it for the return.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #15
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I installed mine in the front compartment near the battery. I had to run a fair amount of wire to do it but it wasn't a problem for me.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KiwiRVer

I will not be picking up my new Montana Mountaineer until March but I have been doing extensive reading and research on what I am going to need to add to it and the common consensus is that a surge protector is highly desirable. This raised some questions for me.

Secondly, I think I would prefer to install a hard-wired surge suppressor so that it is just one more thing that doesn't have to be hooked up every time and cannot be pinched. This raises the question of where do you install it if the hook-up is on the back of the RV? Does anyone know where the 50A wiring goes from the input receptacle and where the best place to put the surge protector is?

Thanks
Craig
I took a look at your floor plan. On our Mountaineer, the power comes in at the center of the back. The wires actually come in under a table that is mounted to the rear wall. Looks like you may have a similar layout. If so, you can take the table loose, and wire the surge protector under it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
does anyone know where to install a surge protector on an 07 md. 3295? i was thinking of 50 amps.
thanks
gene
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #18
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thank you everyone for your input. It has all been most useful and I am much clearer on what I need to do now.

Cheers
Craig
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Sorry for not seeing your request till now Craig

The triangular box is on the drivers side of the rig - all the way at the back (beside the recliner) and is covered with carpet

I removed this box (3 screws) and installed the surge protector in there. I also tightened the loose water connections while I was in there.

kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Ah, I think I remember seeing the box you are talking about. I will check when I pick up the rig in March.
Thanks
Craig