Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
MNpat
Established Member

M.O.C. #3911
Buying used?

I'm trying to make decision on wether to buy an `03, 3295rk for $25 K or a `05, 3650rk for $38. We have a `00 Ford 250 XLT V8 Super Duty truck. It is rated to handle around 11,200 lbs. We'd like to be able to use this truck, but reailize it might not handle the 3650. We do have a line on a Ford 350 diesel with dully. Money is limited though. I guess what I'm fishing for is feedback from you guys as to which rig would be best to go with for newbies. We are using the rig to go to dog shows with. Thanks for your input!

MNpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
We just bought a 2006 3295rk for 39900.00. Before you decide take a look at new units. You may be able to get a new unit with a factory warranty for just a little more. Diana fell in love with the kitchen layout in the 3295rk. The 3650rk is really nice too if you can pull it. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you buy.
Good Luck
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
ur TV is a 2500 V-8 Super Duty. It tows the 3400 fine until we hit a steep grade, then it does not have enough power. It depends on whether you will be pulling grades or not. However, the warranty issue on a new unit is something to consider plus the fact Keystone keeps improving and upgrading. Some here on the forum have had real good luck with used units. I'm always worried about what the previous owner did as far as modications that may not be safe.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
MNpat
Established Member

M.O.C. #3911
How about generators? What model works best for the money?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I would suggest starting with a used camper. then in a few years get a diesel truck, then a few years after that a new trailer. By then you will have made a list of things you must have and a list of things you don't really need. After you have lived in a trailer for a year or two you will start to know what you like and dislike about the floor plan you have and be able to make a more educated purchase in the future.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:10 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
For a newebee I think Fordzilla's advise should be considered. It really takes time and experience to know what you like/dislike..want do not want in a TV and Camper.We have been campers for many years had several campers ecah one larger and more to our liking than the one before it. We will be buying a Montana soon..we have a 3 page, 8x10 sheets of things we must have on this fifth wheel.That list was years in the making.Most import..stay within your budget..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:17 AM   #7
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I agree with Fordzilla.
If you are just getting into camping you don't really know what you want or need. Your Ford will pull the 3295rk as long as you don't have steep grades or load the trailer down with STUFF(which we all tend to do).
I wouldn't go to the 3650RK with your TV right now. Get to know what you really need and want, then take your list to the dealer and get it.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Will your truck pull the 3295? Most likely, yes, but our 03 3295 is pushing close to 11k, from memory I believe it is 10,700, which leaves little room for "extras." Personally, I would not feel safe with such a situation, especially if I was going anywhere close to steep grades. You probably also need to look at the payload capacity in the bed. The 3295 is one of the heavier hitch weights that Montana makes. On our higher rated 2005 F-250, it does squat the truck a couple of inches, and I am considering having air bags installed.

I will say that $25k for the 3295 is a very nice price, better even than the one we found back in March, but I definitely am glad that I have the diesel to help with the load.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We (mostly me!) learned the hard way about not having enough truck to pull whatever size rig you have. As tempting as it is to want to jump into this lifestyle, I'd suggest that you look for a little smaller 5er to go with your truck. That might even mean not getting a Montana (ouch!) for a while. Fordzilla is right on about your building a list of must haves after you've owned any rig for a while. Try looking for an older Montana in the 2850 range. Live with it for a year or so and keep saving some money away and go for the bigger unit later. And then go to a newer 3/4 or 1-ton truck with either a diesel or the biggest gasoline engine you can get. There's nothing wrong with a good, recently well loved trailer or TV. We went through 3 rigs(and 2 trucks) in the first 4 years of RVing, partly due to a serious accident, partly because we kept wanting something bigger. We're now on our 4th rig since '98 and have no regrets in our current choice.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you don't think it will handle the 3650 then it's not going to handle the 3295 either. The 3650 has a heavier UVW, unloaded vehicle weight, as shipped from the factory but the 3295 has a considerably higher carrying capacity and, thus, a higher GVWR than the 3650. That means it's not difficult to load the 3295 to considerably heavier weight. That's pretty much true with any of them, however. I've seen a couple of people towing Montanas with the 5.8L V8 Ford SuperDutys and they both said they do fine on the flats and "ok" on the hills but wouldn't try mountains with it. With tow package and the SuperDuty they have the braking, transmission, frame, and suspension strength but they probably are shortening the life of the engine. But if a new truck is in the plan for not too far down the road and no mountain driving is anticipated in the near future I'd probably go with it. Just my opinion. The 5.4 has a pretty good torque curve for towing if I recall (been awhile since I saw a chart). Just not enough of it for the mountains with this weight.

JD, I'd bet yours weighs more than you think. I'd bet you are at 11,500 to 12,000, unless I miss my guess. Our UVW on the same model as yours (we have high gloss so maybe ours is a bit more than yours?) is 10,760. That does not include battery nor propane tanks nor fluids nor any gear and food we load. When vacationing and weekending we were at about 12,500 on ours with full freshwater tank and full propane tanks. Fulltiming, it's at 14,360.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #11
MNpat
Established Member

M.O.C. #3911
We are getting the 3295rk tomorrow! We will haul it with of present TV about 600 miles total next week for a dog show. I'll let you know how it went. When money is at hand you can bet we will be upgrading the TV! I truly appreciate all your adice guys! Steve & Vicki, I really am enjoying reading your travel journal on your website! I appreciate all the pics too! I'll be sure to post pics of our new rig ASAP.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #12
MNpat
Established Member

M.O.C. #3911
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MNpat

We are getting the 3295rk tomorrow! We will haul it with of present TV about 600 miles total next week for a dog show. I'll let you know how it went. When money is at hand you can bet we will be upgrading the TV! I truly appreciate all your advice guys!

Steve & Vicki, I really am enjoying reading your travel journal on your website! I appreciate all the pics too! I'll be sure to post pics of our new rig ASAP.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I wish you well with the 3295; it is a wonderful unit; we love ours! But watch that TV of yours closely, especially if you go up in altitude.

Steve, I was referring to the dry weight posted over the bar, not the loaded weight. Sadly, I well realize that we are higher than that. Remember how Marsha referred to me as the weight police when we met at Unicoi? I remain in the doghouse with Marsha for frowning whenever she puts something new in the Montana. I just wanted to make the point to MNPat--weakly, I might add--that if the dry weight is 10,700 and their TV is rated for 11,200, then they are already behind the eight ball in my opinion.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote