Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
I took out my defective valve yesterday. From the looks of it, it had been defective since its original install. The inside of it looks brand new. It appears that whichever gorilla at the factory installed it over tightened it and behind the fitting. I couldn't even get the broken threads out of the fitting.

Oh, and the so-called access panel in the pantry accessed nothing. There was NOTHING, no pipes behind it. The valve was about six inches to the left of the panel. So I had to cut another hole to get to the valve.

Replaced the valve with pipe and two elbows. And put a anti-siphon valve at the flush connection at the convenience center instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F48A440F-E3C0-49F9-A313-F2518536B9BC.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	3701   Click image for larger version

Name:	35227A64-9762-43E9-BA63-022647DEC107.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	3702  

daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
So when is Keystone finally going to admit that this is one place where they should use something besides the cheapest plastic crap they can find........ This problem is universal and the failures can result in serious damage!!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
I took out my defective valve yesterday. From the looks of it, it had been defective since its original install. The inside of it looks brand new. It appears that whichever gorilla at the factory installed it over tightened it and behind the fitting. I couldn't even get the broken threads out of the fitting.

Oh, and the so-called access panel in the pantry accessed nothing. There was NOTHING, no pipes behind it. The valve was about six inches to the left of the panel. So I had to cut another hole to get to the valve.

Replaced the valve with pipe and two elbows. And put a anti-siphon valve at the flush connection at the convenience center instead.
Dave when you connected your hose to the black tank flush, did you connect directly to the source or have a pressure regulator in between. I know a number of folks are blaming the anti-siphon valve when the cause is high water pressure. Me being one of them. Since I put a pressure regulator on the hose when connecting the black tank flush, I have not had a failure.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
fatcatzz, How did you thread the close nipple into the street elbow and the pex elbow without replacing the pex elbow?
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #25
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
So when is Keystone finally going to admit that this is one place where they should use something besides the cheapest plastic crap they can find........ This problem is universal and the failures can result in serious damage!!!!
First off, need to ask if Keystone gives a sh*t first. Answer is NO they don't. As long as people keep buying, they'll think about where the can cut quality and put more money in THEIR pocket..

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #26
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Departing the S&B next week for four months of travel and removed the backflow valve this weekend. Decided that I would rather deal with it now rather than on the road after it became an issue!
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
They aren’t. Their buyers like all buyers are rewarded for saving money not buying something better.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #28
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former StClairSailor View Post
Dave when you connected your hose to the black tank flush, did you connect directly to the source or have a pressure regulator in between. I know a number of folks are blaming the anti-siphon valve when the cause is high water pressure. Me being one of them. Since I put a pressure regulator on the hose when connecting the black tank flush, I have not had a failure.
I connected the hose from the outdoor shower to it and used the onboard water pump, so I don't think. the pressure was too high.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #29
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
Departing the S&B next week for four months of travel and removed the backflow valve this weekend. Decided that I would rather deal with it now rather than on the road after it became an issue!
Smart move!!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #30
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
That valve on my 3731FL is located directly behind the conveneince center right after the flush connection.
I should look before I ask, but how do you access it? We have 3731FL and I flush almost every trip. It sounds like a frequent enough problem that I should fix it before the flooding occurs.
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #31
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Back on another thread it said he found his directly behind the connection in the Convenience center.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #32
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemitchell59 View Post
I should look before I ask, but how do you access it? We have 3731FL and I flush almost every trip. It sounds like a frequent enough problem that I should fix it before the flooding occurs.
In the basement next to the convenience center remove the panel on the right side and you will have access to all the pipes. It will be the two white vertical pipes with the valve at the top. You can just cut the valve out and connect the pipes together with a couple elbows.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #33
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Let me ask some of you here -- If you owned a company and put out a product that had multiple items in it's formation, would you pick the highest quallity/priced item to go into your product thus increasing the price of your product to the consumer or would you try and save some money and take the bidder with the best product at the lowest price for your item and try and price your product low enough for the consumer to buy it and yet still make a profit for yourself? This is what the RV industry(not just Keystone Montana Division but all of the RV Industry) is doing. Would you pay an extra $20,000-$50,000 for a unit if the manufacturer added everything that is totally top of the line? I don't think you would. We all shop for the lowest price we can pay for our units and that is part of why the RV Industry is doing what they are!

The location of the backflow valve for the backflush varies with every model normally. Some are behind the convenient center, some are in the wall behind the pantry wall, some are behind the closet wall if you have a closet a the entrance (Usually older models here), and some are under the bathroom sink. Ours is under the sink in our 2013 model. So far, knock on wood, I have not had a problem because I use a water pressure regulator on the incoming water line. When checking into a campground, I always ask the campground host or staff what the water pressure is in their campground. If it is over 40-50 psi, I put the water pressure regulator on the incoming hose and I think this has helped with the valve not failing, I guess we'll see.

Dave glad you got your problem resolved and you shouldn't have any other problems with it now as long as your joints on your pipes and elbows are tight and leak free. Safe travels and happy camping!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote