Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Live and learn

My wife and I are taking our first big trip in our new 3402RL and are traveling from New York to Florida. My wife doesn't want to stay in the RV while we travel therefore the need to plan ahead for hotels and the required "big rig parking". We were assured by a Marriott in Dumfrees Virginia that they could accommodate busses so we felt pretty good about our chances. Lo and behold we pull in around midnight and there is no designated "big rig parking". It appears that their idea of bus parking is to use up several parking spaces which is okay provided there are sufficient spaces available and you can access them easily and still have a way to get out. I ended up having to drive all around the building making some rather tight turns and luckily had a number of spaces I could maneuver into. Lesson for the day ... Don't take everything at face value. People who don't drive these units have no idea what it takes to park them.

Firstrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We slept in our rig anywhere we stopped, even church parking lots
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Can't imagine how it was done before, or should I just say it was a lot of plain old luck. We kinda covered this in another recent topic, but you almost need to plan ahead, then use a photographic map application (I use Bingmaps) to view your planned overnight stay since the person taking the call will say anything to get a room sold and not know what's required, even telling you there is room. As a former RV transporter (we aren't allowed to overnight in a customer's rig) I ran into this many times - what their idea of RV parking is not very accurate, but someone towing a tent trailer overnighted there once so it's good for any other rig, too. Then there's the problem that others have taken those spots, too. Fortunately for me, my loads were no longer than 30', plus my 20' or truck. Another problem I ran into was in one old town where we stayed the power and phone lines were overhead and only about 8' high so we had to avoid them by parking far away and it was pitch black, too. Whew!

It was not unusual to manuever around some tight spots, then hope the next day someone else doesn't block you in.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Firstrmc

...My wife and I are taking our first big trip in our new 3402RL and are traveling from New York to Florida. My wife doesn't want to stay in the RV while we travel...
Okay, none of my business, but I have to ask...you have a beautiful new Montana, and the D/W doesn't want to stay in it??? To me, one of the great advantages of a Montana is no more motels.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
In certain parts of the country in the winter you will not find many RV parks open, unless you are equipped for camping in cold and perhaps freezing temperatures then you are likely wise to go the route you are going. However there is no way I would be arriving anywhere at midnight. The difficulty in seeing what you are doing, getting assistance if you need it is so much more at that late hour, as is seeking out an alternative.

Leave early, stop before dark. In some cases there are motels near large truck stops, you can always park in the truck stop parking if necessary. Seek accommodations that are on the outskirts of towns or cities.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There are a number of these on the internet, this just being one: http://www.truckstopsandservices.com...sses.php?id=73
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Second time in as many nights ran into a similar problem. I was assured they had "big rig" parking and plenty of it. Truth is that they did have what they considered "big rig" parking but in reality would barely accept my trailer let alone the trailer and TV. And accessibility wasn't much to speak of either. Had to drive the TV up onto a curb and the trailer tires still went up onto the inside curb. I'm thinking the DW might have to give a little on the sleeping arrangements.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Firstrmc

.... and the trailer tires still went up onto the inside curb.....
Just out of precaution, you might want to keep an close eye on the tires, curbs are not friendly to the rig tires, particularly if they are Marathons?? I am hopeful that you have a tire pressure monitoring system. Any unusual stress can result in problems for the tires, been there and done that and the tire fortunately blew on an entrance ramp at about 10 mph.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Definitely watching the tires. The monitoring system is on my wish list. Right now I just check them every time I stop.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
SOOOOOO why are you not sleeping in the RV at Resorts/campgrounds???? Is the 5th just for you? tell her we PROMISE we will not call her "trailer trash"if she sleeps in it
Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Ummm, ....I would have bought my wife a plane ticket to Florida, and enjoyed the camping (...and quiet time )on my way down there!!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #12
scurry1529
Established Member

M.O.C. #13876
LOL! I am the D/W. HaHa!! By the time we stop at the end of the day, after 9 or 10 hours on the road, it's just too much to have to set up and then have to close up again in the AM. We....yes WE...would prefer to just hit a warm shower and bed, and get on the road again quickly the next day. Don't let the First kid you. Besides, i like the free breakfast that I don't have to cook! We are ready for our first Christmas in Dixie. Merry Christmas everyone!!!
scurry1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we were traveling down from Northern Ohio now we might have to stay in a Motel. Ft Chiswell is I think open year round so we could hook up for heat and water. I don't know about the rest of the way. I would not stay is a freezing Montana without heat in a wallmart lot of FJ or rest area for sure.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Sandy (scurry1529)……

First of all, welcome to the MOC. It’s good to see another woman posting on here. This place has been overrun by the men for way too long now. I’m thinking the women need to take it back like it used to be in the good old days.

Don’t let these jokesters get to you. I know they all mean well but are just having a hard time understanding someone who is traveling with an RV and not staying in it during their travels.

I’m sure you have a mighty fine reason for doing so, you just haven’t divulged it and you really shouldn’t have to. All that matters is that you asked for some help/advice and that’s what you should expect to get. Around this place though that help and advice is always served with a few chuckles.

This really IS a great place to turn to though. The camaraderie is wonderful, and you’ll meet some mighty fine people on here, and you’ll have plenty of opportunity to meet them in person while traveling. They are the first people to jump in and help when someone is having a crisis, needs serious help or just wants to sit around and enjoy a happy hour (or two) or share a meal.

Be sure to look around the website here, order some MOC merchandise like license plate holders and/or bumper stickers that will identify you as MOCers so when another member sees your truck or Montana they can identify that you are now part of this great family and they will take the extra time to meet you and see how you are doing. There’s also shirts, sweatshirts, MOC flags, MOC “business cards” and too much other stuff for me to list.

Florida is currently loaded with MOC members, most them can be found on the beaches with drinks in their hands that have those little umbrellas sticking out of the glass. The rest of them (me included) are freezing somewhere else around the USA/Canada.

Once you land in Florida, let us know where. I’m thinking there will be some other MOC members already there nearby that would love to meet and welcome you to the MOC and the sun in person.

Oh and one last thing…… why the heck aren’t you staying in the Montana??? Hahaha… no, don’t answer that. I just couldn’t help joining in with the other jokers. It appears that you are on a deadline and need to get to your destination by a certain date. We’ve all done it.

Again, welcome to the MOC. Look me up if you ever get to the West Coast.

Margee.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Sounds like they are running from the cold. Not a bad idea. LOL
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
As a retired trucker I found over the years that your better hotels/motels don't normally have dedicated parking for big rigs with trailer. You have to make do with what you have to work with. Places that have a dedicated area (usually dirt lot) are many times not a very good place to stay. I have stayed in some decent places that were hard to get safely parked even when bobtail.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
scurry1529
Established Member

M.O.C. #13876
Thanks for the support, Margee! LOL!! I love this website. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I will be one of those lucky people drinking one of those drinks with the umbrella in it very soon (or just a cold Mich Ultra) while the First will be on the golf course. My new favorite song is "all i want for Christmas is a tan!" Thanks for the tip about purchasing MOC stuff to identify ourselves. I will get right on that. Merry Christmas ,#127876;#127876;#127876;
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
scurry1529
Established Member

M.O.C. #13876
And, Ramblin.....we are absolutely rnning from the coldand snow! Perfect timing on our part!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I am going to try my best to stay between 50 degrees and 90 degrees for the rest of my life after Oct 1 2014. Most of these guys and gals on the forum have all the time in the world to travel. They are in no hurry. They plan on traveling between 9:00am and 3:00pm and start to look for a place to pitch tent for the night.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #20
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Personally, Scurry1529 it's probably not such a bad plan given the cold weather of the Northeast (We're from Lake George). I know that trying to get that far south this time of year can be very difficult especially given the recent snowstorms and frigid cold on the east coast right now. Glad we are out of it and enjoying the warmth finally. It was very cold here in TX until recently.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote